Republicans: continued

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: Republicans: continued

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:44 am

Former US Attorney General Barr has made some harrumphing noises recently, attempting to distance himself from the Trump dumpster fire. There probably exist people who buy his line of self-serving rectitude--they're also probably still waiting to hear back from a Nigerian prince.

'Why are We Surprised Barr Covered-Up Trump's Treason When He Did the Same for GHW Bush & Reagan?'
Geoffrey Berman has a new book out, Holding the Line: Inside the Nation's Preeminent US Attorney's Office and Its Battle with the Trump Justice Department, laying out chapter and verse of how Bill Barr corrupted the Department of Justice on behalf of Donald Trump. Barr’s coverups for Trump range, in my read, from criminal activity to treason.

It shouldn’t surprise us.

There was also a time when George HW Bush and Ronald Reagan were facing the possibility of treason charges, much like Trump. Who did they call? Bill Barr.

That was in the ’80s and early ’90s, but now we discover that Bill Barr really, truly, definitely also lied to America about presidential treason this decade. Shocking.

Mueller laid out 10 prosecutable incidents of Donald Trump committing felony obstruction of justice, all to cover up the assistance he was seeking and receiving from Russian oligarchs and the Russian government that ultimately helped him win the 2016 election.

Looking back now, seeing the actual documents from the time, Federal Judge Amy Berman Jackson noted that Barr’s lies to the American people, to Congress, and to federal judges were “so inconsistent with evidence in the record, they are not worthy of credence.”

In other words, Barr lied through his teeth.

And he did it to avoid prosecuting Trump, who we can now see had clearly committed crimes — particularly reaching out to a foreign power for help — that would’ve landed any other American in prison for decades.

Berman’s book details Barr’s attempts to stop prosecutions of Trump’s friends and co-conspirators, to fire prosecutors with integrity and replace them with toadies who corrupted the Justice Department, and even to focus the police power of government against people Trump considered enemies.

For example, when Trump got pissed at John Kerry, he tweeted that he should be investigated and prosecuted. Immediately Barr jumped into action, as Berman told Joe Scarborough on Morning Joe today:
“[T]he statute they wanted us to use was enacted in 1799 and had never been successfully prosecuted. So for about 220 years, this criminal statute had been on the books, and not a single conviction, so we investigated it and John Kerry was entirely innocent, and yet the Justice Department pushed us and pushed us and pushed us and when I declined, Bill Barr did not take no for an answer."
Barr succeeded in getting Trump’s role in a variety of the felony crimes ignored, including the crime of campaign fraud for paying off Stormy Daniels to keep her mouth shut about Trump having sex with her. The list in Berman’s book is mind-boggling.

The corruption of law enforcement and the courts is a cardinal characteristic of fascism, which is what Trump and — it turns out, Barr — were actively trying to do to America.

But this is not Bill Barr‘s first time playing cover-up for a Republican president who had committed crimes that rise to treason against America.

Back in 1992, the first time Bill Barr was U.S. Attorney General, iconic New York Times writer William Safire referred to him as “Coverup-General Barr” because of his role in burying evidence of then-President George H.W. Bush’s involvement in “Iraqgate” and “Iran-Contra.”

Christmas day of 1992, the New York Times featured a screaming all-caps headline across the top of its front page: Attorney General Bill Barr had covered up evidence of crimes by Reagan and Bush in the Iran-Contra scandal.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:39 pm

Democrats be drinking wine after sailing or playing croquet and...
0A41EF7B-8F85-4FB1-BE61-63CED328FE66.jpeg
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:21 pm

Typical Republicans, they don't care if people are harmed so long as it serves their needs.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:41 pm

"An estimated 50 migrants arrived on Martha’s Vineyard Wednesday on two planes, according to Massachusetts state Sen. Julian Cyr, a Democrat who represents Martha’s Vineyard. The two planes arrived just after 3 p.m. ET, Cyr said, and white vans took the migrants to Martha’s Vineyard Community Services."
CNN

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:41 am

9BEB1885-9B9D-4BAE-BE7E-70BDEFCD77F4.jpeg

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:53 am

John Yoo opines that congress cannot legislate on abortion. Those of you with a good memory will recall that Yoo was the author of the infamous "torture memos" justifying the use of waterboarding and other questionable interrogation techniques for the Bush administration. Not exactly a plus on anyone's CV.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:43 am

That rotten gobshite is a font of vile and twisted authoritarian opinions. I've encountered several over the years. He came out with a book a couple of years ago 'defending' the overfed wannabe presidential autocrat with typically mendacious arguments.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:21 am

It's my belief that people like Yoo are damaged. Damaged things should be fixed, or broken down for parts. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:26 pm

One Venezuelan migrant who arrived at Martha's Vineyard identified himself as Luis, 27, and said he and nine relatives were promised a flight to Massachusetts, along with shelter, support for 90 days, help with work permits and English lessons. He said they were surprised when their flight landed on an island.

He said the promises came from a woman who gave her name as "Perla" who approached his family on the street outside a San Antonio shelter after they crossed from Mexico and U.S. border authorities released them with an immigration court date.

Reuters.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:20 am

How are the people of Martha's Vineyard taking it? Do they need immigrants to cover a population decline perhaps?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:42 am

Apparently they've stepped up and are supporting them.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:14 pm

DeSantis chartered a plane to send migrants to Martha's Vineyard. It cost tax payers 13000 per migrant to send the 50 there.

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:51 pm

That's because the in-flight meal consisted of steak and lobster, expertly cooked, instead of the usual barely recognizable egg McMuffin or the equally repugnant tuna salad sandwich, reputed to contain some quantity of actual tuna. The bag of peanuts, however, was the same in both cases.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:24 pm

:hehe:

Frank Zappa

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:27 am

Francesca Fiorentini on MSNBC: at this point Matt Gaetz is the gum stuck on Trump's shoe.