Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: Republicans: continued

Post by Svartalf » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:35 pm

JimC wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:35 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:35 pm
Undecided about what?
About whether to vote for Tweedledum or Tweedledee...
Vote Alice, the only one who isn't insane.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:37 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:34 pm
JimC wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:19 pm
The US is going to return to the Dark Side... :nono:
I thought they had already been there since they elected reagan?
They'll be going on double secret probation.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:41 pm

sorry, but since they made frump president, no probation is possible, they should all be stuffed in gitmo

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:48 pm

On Twitter:
Jeff Tiedrich
@itsJeffTiedrich
Nov 12
I'll say it again: Republicans should be forced to carry Donald Trump to term, even it if endangers the life of the party
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:21 pm

rasetsu wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:05 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:01 pm
How did Republicans manage to convince everyone they’re the party to make you money? It’s a real barrier to ousting them in Texas. Everyone believes they make for a better economy. :dunno:
—downloaded with a credit at audible :cheers:

—//—

Saw Jim Jordan’s district map today, good for a laugh.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:15 am

Gerry, thy name is Mander...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:17 am

The half-smart (but that half is definitely smart!) twit US Senator Josh Hawley, he of presidential aspirations, clenched fist of solidarity with the Jan. 6 mob and infamous frightened scamper from said mob, has got himself in the news again. Nothing important, just using public employees and resources to support his political campaign. No surprise that his cronies in Missouri withheld evidence of the scheme.

'Judge Rules Hawley-Led Agency Broke Record Laws On Purpose'
Missouri judge ruled that a state agency previously led by Republican Josh Hawley broke public record laws on purpose to help his U.S. Senate campaign.

Cole County Presiding Judge Jon Beetem on Monday fined the Attorney General's Office $12,000 and attorney fees, the maximum penalty for violating what's known as the Sunshine Law.

Open record laws are aimed at making sure the public can access documents related to how taxpayer dollars are spent and how government is being run.

At issue are Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee records requests from 2017 and 2018, when Republican Hawley was serving as state attorney general and campaigning for former Democratic U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill's seat.

The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee requested emails and other communications between Attorney General's Office staff and politicos tied to Hawley's campaign, claiming that official staffers were being directed by campaigners in order to help Hawley's Senate bid.

In one instance, the Attorney General's Office found responsive records three days after receiving the Democratic request but did not release the documents until forced to as part of the lawsuit more than a year later.

“The decision to withhold documents responsive to the DSCC’s Sunshine requests was made by public officials who had personal and professional stakes in the documents not being released and in the success of then-candidate Hawley’s campaign," Beetem wrote in his ruling.

Beetem ruled that the deception was intentional, pointing to the fact that Attorney General's Office staffers would switch to private email accounts to message political consultants.

In Missouri, all government records are open to the public, even if officials use private email accounts.

“Attorney General Hawley’s office illegally concealed public documents immediately prior to a U.S. Senate election against Senator Claire McCaskill for the sole purpose of preventing damage to Hawley’s campaign and affecting the outcome of the election,” DSCC lawyer Mark Pedroli tweeted Tuesday. “Concealing public records in order to prevent damage to your campaign is cheating, it deprives competing candidates of a level playing field, and it’s illegal.”

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:10 pm

BBC:
The two political newcomers - Ms Boebert and Mr O'Dea - offer a picture of a Republican Party at war with itself. And in Colorado ahead of the election, it is Ms Boebert's party in control: she is on course to win, while Mr O'Dea is expected to lose.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63493606.amp
Some Democrats, like Colorado's sitting governor or Mr O'Dea's opponent, Senator Michael Bennet, have found a workaround for the lack of rural support, relying on strong backing from populous urban centres and then appealing to suburban voters - a bloc courted by both parties.
It was the registered Republicans in suburbia who helped Mr O'Dea eke out a victory over his far-right opponent in the primaries.

Bennett
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bennet
Is an established figure to Democrats and popular state wide
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:52 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:17 am
The half-smart (but that half is definitely smart!) twit US Senator Josh Hawley, he of presidential aspirations, clenched fist of solidarity with the Jan. 6 mob and infamous frightened scamper from said mob, has got himself in the news again. Nothing important, just using public employees and resources to support his political campaign. No surprise that his cronies in Missouri withheld evidence of the scheme.
So, will he be declared an Enemy of Democracy and sent to Gitmo? or at least prevented from occupying any job in a government agency and forbidden to be a candidate to any elected office for the next decade or two?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:35 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:17 am

'Judge Rules Hawley-Led Agency Broke Record Laws On Purpose'
Missouri judge ruled that a state agency previously led by Republican Josh Hawley broke public record laws on purpose to help his U.S. Senate campaign.

Cole County Presiding Judge Jon Beetem on Monday fined the Attorney General's Office $12,000 and attorney fees, the maximum penalty for violating what's known as the Sunshine Law.

Open record laws are aimed at making sure the public can access documents related to how taxpayer dollars are spent and how government is being run.

At issue are Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee records requests from 2017 and 2018, when Republican Hawley was serving as state attorney general and campaigning for former Democratic U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill's seat.

The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee requested emails and other communications between Attorney General's Office staff and politicos tied to Hawley's campaign, claiming that official staffers were being directed by campaigners in order to help Hawley's Senate bid.

In one instance, the Attorney General's Office found responsive records three days after receiving the Democratic request but did not release the documents until forced to as part of the lawsuit more than a year later.

“The decision to withhold documents responsive to the DSCC’s Sunshine requests was made by public officials who had personal and professional stakes in the documents not being released and in the success of then-candidate Hawley’s campaign," Beetem wrote in his ruling.

Beetem ruled that the deception was intentional, pointing to the fact that Attorney General's Office staffers would switch to private email accounts to message political consultants.

In Missouri, all government records are open to the public, even if officials use private email accounts.

“Attorney General Hawley’s office illegally concealed public documents immediately prior to a U.S. Senate election against Senator Claire McCaskill for the sole purpose of preventing damage to Hawley’s campaign and affecting the outcome of the election,” DSCC lawyer Mark Pedroli tweeted Tuesday. “Concealing public records in order to prevent damage to your campaign is cheating, it deprives competing candidates of a level playing field, and it’s illegal.”
Illegal, but I suspect he won't be facing prison time, or even a fine, over this, eh?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:41 pm

It's a fine, IIRC, but basically chump change.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:47 pm

I'd pay his fine for him... in lead, given to him directly, then he can resell it to pay the fine... fortunately, given the price of ammo, it shouldn't need too many bullets...

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:02 pm

The list of US senators (all Republican) who voted against a bill to protect the status quo regarding legality of same-sex and inter-racial marriage is full of the usual shitlord suspects--from the pale slime Ron Johnson, who during his recent campaign for reelection claimed that he would not vote against the bill, through Lindsey Graham, Mitch McConnell, and Ted Cruz, to the dunderhead Tommy Tuberville and well-educated fuckwit Rand Paul. Glory!

'37 Senators Just Voted Against a Bill Protecting Same-Sex and Interracial Marriages. All Were Republicans.'
The U.S. Senate Wednesday afternoon voted to end a filibuster on a critical bill to protect same-sex and interracial marriages by a margin of 62-37. All 50 Democratic Senators were joined by 12 Republicans in voting yes, and 37 Republicans voted no.

The Respect for Marriage Act itself is both narrow and incredible in that it changes nothing in the U.S. unless the Supreme Court overturns landmark rulings in cases like Obergefell, which found same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry, or Lawrence v. Texas, which found a constitutional right to sexual intimacy.

Should that happen, states and the federal government, if the bill becomes law, would merely be required to recognize legal marriages of same-sex couples. That’s it. All the religious protections that people of faith currently enjoy would be unchanged, contrary to numerous false claims of far right extremists and religious extremists.

And yet, 37 Republicans decided that in spite of same-sex marriage enjoying a favorability rating of 70% (per Gallup) and 61% of Americans saying legalization of same-sex marriage is good for society (Pew), the newly-re-elected Senate Minority Leader, Mitch McConnell, and 36 of his fellow GOP Senators voted to block the bill.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:22 am

Allah will be proud of them.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:01 pm