Republicans: continued

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Republicans: continued

Post by JimC » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:12 am

Cunt wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:54 am
I might have lost it.
Cut, you lost it a long time ago... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:33 am

Cunt wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:54 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:28 am
I don't know Jacob Blake or his story. I'm sure I heard about it. I'd like to get you to see the world beyond the political hoodlums you slum with.

The question of police and criminal justice reform is much bigger, and I think it's disingenuous to confuse Americans concerns around these issues for more fleeting emotional outpourings in response to sensational stories.
The nation riots about police shootings, and you don't know about one of the biggest news items around it? This one had Biden and Harris directly involved.

But ignore that, and would you rephrase your question? I might have lost it.
I don't know a single rioter. I also don't know anyone who isn't concerned about something regarding policing in the US; whether it be increased powers, militarization, racism, profiling, lack of accountability, or something else.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:25 am

You do know there were riots last year, right?

Ah, it isn't important. Just pay for it. It IS your fault, after all.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:53 am

More Americans than ever seem to be pushing against what they see as poor policing. For many it must seem like it took everyone else forever to get to this point.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:57 am

--for a bit of levity

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:01 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:53 am
More Americans than ever seem to be pushing against what they see as poor policing. For many it must seem like it took everyone else forever to get to this point.
That accusation of poor policing has been made by media, with cases like Jacob Blake. That's why it is relevant.

If you want more militarized police, just let the media convince everyone that your whole country is violently racist, and you'll have it.

With body armor AND those tactical sunglasses!
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:06 am

I think you're aware of the accusation made by the media --I'm allowing that, I'm not sure they've done it.

I'm hoping to introduce you to other sources, an important one being the people who are concerned about the job police are doing. In my experience that's everyone, regardless of politics. If you want more academic sources they're available too.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:21 am

What are you not sure of?

What is it you think I missed?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:30 am

What's your experience with Americans concerns about policing? Do you believe these concerns are entirely the product of media manipulation?

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:43 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:30 am
What's your experience with Americans concerns about policing? Is it your belieuf that these concerns are entirely the product of media manipulation?
My that is broad. I know a few Americans, but as to their concerns about policing, I would think as individual as anywhere. In remote regions, it's the same anywhere - the police are too far away. In inner cities, they are always there when you don't want one, and gone when you do.

My notion is that the specific cases of media manipulation causing the riots are special cause for scrutiny.

Like the Blake case, which drew the attention of the current Pres and VP.

He was shot while trying to kill cops, who were defending his victim.

Is it your belief that these events are not the cause of a bunch of unneeded protest and anger?
Basically, this study shows that there’s a healthy amount of uninformed Americans when it relates to available data on police-involved uses of force that result in death – but those left-of-center are more likely to be uninformed about this available data.
“Specifically, we found that the more people reported being “liberal” or “very liberal” on social and fiscal matters, the greater the discrepancy between the available data and their estimations.”
I dare you to play along, Sean H.
The study first sought to see how people identified themselves politically, breaking down respondents into one of five categories when given an option to choose between the following:

Very Liberal
Liberal
Moderate
Conservative
Very Conservative
Once respondents identified their general political stance, they were asked the following two questions:

If you had to guess, how many unarmed black men were killed by police in 2019?
If you had to guess, in 2019 what percentage of people killed by police were black?
For the first question relating to the number of unarmed black Americans shot by police, respondents were afforded the following estimates to choose from:

About 10
About 100
About 1,000
About 10,000
More than 10,000
For those identifying as “Very Liberal”, the following percentages of respondents answered the first question as follows:
I don't mind saying I got it wrong. Most did, by my estimate.

Now, what do you think happens to serious, tangible and genuine concerns about policing and enforcement techniques, when a large chunk of the country has been misled so firmly, that they believe the police are literally hunting minorities for sport?

Do you think it is just possible that everyone ends up with more militarized police, no matter WHAT they wanted?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:02 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:57 am
--for a bit of levity

Ooff. That was either brave or foolish. I'm erring towards the latter. :)
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:36 am

I think examining the role the media plays is worthwhile Cunt. Just don't confuse the fleeting nature of an emotional outpouring in response to outrageous news for a lack of real concerns based on people's experiences with the criminal justice system.

--//--

I've looked into police violence so I can't play along. When I was doing all that I was surprised to learn the race of the officer was irrelevant. But that's ignorance for you.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:43 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:02 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
--for a bit of levity

If it's real he was definitely gambling that his script would work.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:44 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:02 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
--for a bit of levity

They both knew the limits. Up to a point. Notice how the cop studiously avoided prefixing the word "property" with "private". He was well aware that the aggressive troll had the right to be where he stood and to film the cop. That point was driven home by the "Employeees Only" sign on the gate through which the cop withdrew. Where the so-called investigative journalist went too far was when he called him an asshole. I venture to guess that there actually are laws against "unseemly language" or something like that in most of the united states.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:00 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:36 am
I think examining the role the media plays is worthwhile Cunt. Just don't confuse the fleeting nature of an emotional outpouring in response to outrageous news for a lack of real concerns based on people's experiences with the criminal justice system.
Oh? Which news was outrageous?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote: