Saudi Arabia Continues to Pursue Peace and Stability in Region

Jason
Destroyer of words

Saudi Arabia Continues to Pursue Peace and Stability in Region

Post by Jason » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Yemen famine

Yemen is on the brink of a historic famine that could put as many as 13 million people at risk of death by starvation, the United Nations warns.

Lise Grande, the UN's humanitarian coordinator for Yemen, issued the warning in an interview with the BBC yesterday. Grande said the fierce fighting between Saudi-backed government forces and Houthi rebels, and the ongoing blockade of aid shipments, have created the conditions for humanitarian disaster on a scale not seen since Ethiopia in the 1980s or the Soviet Union in the 1930s.

The civil war, now in its fourth year, has already claimed the lives of between 10,000 and 50,000 civilians — the fighting has made precise counts all but impossible — and displaced more than two million.

The Saudis and their allies from the United Arab Emirates have carried out more than 18,000 airstrikes since 2015, with increasingly deadly consequences. One monitoring project estimates that civilian deaths are up 164 per cent since the beginning of the siege of the Houthi-controlled port city of Hodeidah in June.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/nat ... -1.4862908

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Saudi Arabia Continues to Pursue Peace and Stability in Region

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:58 pm

I would think Yemen and Oman should be part of Saudi Arabia anyway, and throw in the UAE too. It's all part of that same peninsula.

Yemen is just a hold-over from British colonial rule when the Limeys used it as a stopover to refill the coal in their steamships. It's rightfully part of greater Arab Caliphate.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:09 pm

Um... OK?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:11 pm

US makes squillions out of supplying Saudi with the hardware to prosecute this war.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:18 pm

Canada is complicit too, as they use our armoured vehicles to slaughter civilians (though to be fair they agreed not to do this and our politicians did create a minor smell about it).

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:11 am

Lawrence is spinning in his grave!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!