"The butt of global jokes": who might this be? (Talk Trump)

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: "The butt of global jokes": who might this be? (Talk Trump)

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:30 pm

President Donald Trump is more than 19 months into an administration engulfed in so much controversy that it may overshadow a tremendous achievement, namely an economic boom uniquely his.

During his time in office, the economy has achieved feats most experts thought impossible. GDP is growing at a 3 percent-plus rate. The unemployment rate is near a 50-year low. Meanwhile, the stock market has jumped 27 percent amid a surge in corporate profits.

Friday brought another round of good news: Nonfarm payrolls rose by a better-than-expected 201,000 and wages, the last missing piece of the economic recovery, increased by 2.9 percent year over year to the highest level since April 2009. That made it the best gain since the recession ended in June 2009.
the current numbers are a uniquely Trumpian achievement and not owed to policies already set in motion when he took office.

"I still believe the big story this year is an economic boom that most folks thought impossible," Larry Kudlow, director of the National Economic Council and a chief advisor to Trump, said in a recent interview with CNBC.com. "I understand that he's been in for a year and a half, but when you look at those numbers, this is not going away."

Indeed, the economy does seem to be on fire, and it's fairly easy to draw a straight line from Trump's policies to the current trends.

Trump's economic achievements
Business confidence is soaring, in part thanks to a softer regulatory environment. Consumer sentiment by one measure is at its highest level in 18 years. Corporate profits, owed in good part to last year's tax cuts, are coming close to setting records.
Each of those accomplishments can be tied either directly to new policies or at least indirectly through a brimming sense of hope from businesses that the White House is back on their side.

"When you look at those confidence indexes, they're telling you something," Kudlow said. "His attitude is, we're not punishing business, we're not punishing success, we want to make things easier to do business and to hire, and I think it's had a very positive effect and a very palpable effect."

GDP most recently gained 4.2 percent in the second quarter, the best performance in nearly four years.
At the same time, the unemployment rate is 3.9 percent, just one-tenth of a percentage point above the lowest level since 1969.
It's actually down again since this article came out in September - it's 3.7% now.
But there are some more telling figures about just how much progress has been made under Trump.

At a time when most economists had been using the term "full employment" to describe the economy, 3.9 million more Americans have joined the ranks of the working during the Trump term. During the same period under former President Barack Obama, employment had fallen by 2.6 million. The economy in total, while still not in breakout mode, has grown by $1.4 trillion through the second quarter under Trump; the same time period for Obama saw a gain of just $481 billion, or a third of Trump's total.

Businesses are investing, consumers are spending and innovation is on the rise as well.
Trump pledged that he would pare down regulations that were choking business activity. While the actual moves toward deregulation haven't been quite as ambitious as planned, the approach has won him converts in the business community.

The most recent reading from the National Federation of Independent Business was the second highest in history dating back 45 years. Small business owners reported aggressive hiring plans, the only obstacle to which has been a dearth of labor supply. The end of June saw 6.7 million job openings and just 6.6 million Americans classified as unemployed, an unprecedented imbalance.

"Expansion continues to be a priority for small businesses who show no signs of slowing as they anticipate more sales and better business conditions." NFIB President and CEO Juanita Duggan said in a statement.

How he did it
Trump's economic program was very simple: an attack on taxes and regulations with an extra dose of spending on infrastructure and the military that would create a supply shock to a moribund economy.

On the tax side, the White House pushed through a massive $1.5 trillion reform plan that sliced the highest-in-the-world corporate tax from 35 percent to 21 percent and lowered rates for millions of taxpayers, though the cuts for individuals will expire in 2025.

On deregulation, Trump ordered that rules be pared back or eliminated across the board. During his time in office, Congress has cut back on the Dodd-Frank banking reforms, particularly in areas affecting regional and community institutions, rolled back a multitude of environmental protections that he said were killing jobs and took a hatchet to dozens of other rules. (The left-leaning Brookings Institution think tank has a rolling deregulation tracker that can be viewed here.)

During the first year of his administration, "significant regulatory activity" had declined 74 percent from where it was in the same period of the Obama administration, according to data collected by Bridget Dooling, research professor at GW's Regulatory Studies Center.
The Dodd-Frank rollbacks have been particularly helpful to community banks, whose share prices collectively are up more than 25 percent over the past year. Small-cap stocks in general have strongly outperformed the broader market, gaining 23 percent over the past 12 months at a time when the S&P 500 is up 17 percent.

The Federal Register, where business rules are stored and thus serves as a proxy for regulatory activity, was 19.2 percent smaller from Inauguration Day until Aug. 16 under Trump than during the same period for Obama.

"You can think of that as turning off the spigot of new regulations," Dooling said in an interview. She said more aggressive movement appears to be on the way.

Dooling said recent regulatory changes from the Environmental Protection Agency and the departments of Education and Labor will advance deregulation in an even "more meaningful way."

In addition to expected deregulation benefits, there's also anticipation that the true benefits of tax cuts have yet to kick in. Mick Mulvaney, head of the Office of Management and Budget, recently told CNBC that he attributes the bulk of new economic growth to deregulation rather than the tax cuts, whose benefits he expects to come later.

"It's still too early to tell. We haven't seen any of the multipliers yet from tax reform," said Jacob Oubina, senior U.S. economist at RBC Capital Markets. "We have enough in terms of ammunition to put in 3 percent growth for the rest of this year and even all of 2019, but we haven't seen sort of this spike in activity yet."

There's been another interesting trend that is peculiar to the Trump economy: a drifting of benefits from urban centers to nonmetropolitan areas, which are seeing their first collective population growth since 2010.

Trump's tax cuts "should deliver greater tax relief to rural areas where there is a higher rate of small business owners who will benefit from the favorable pass-through tax rates," Joseph Song, U.S. economist at Bank of America Merrill Lynch, said in a recent note to clients.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/07/how-tru ... -fire.html

The stock selloff is partly caused by the monumental strength of the US economy, which is causing interest rates and bond yields to increase. The stock market drop is concerning, but it's nothing to get in a twist over.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:45 pm

Since when is a stock market drop concerning? --drop motherfucker drop!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm

remember October of 1929 young padawan?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:50 pm

All I learned from those lessons was that history repeats itself. The market is never where it should be except maybe when it's at its lowest, and provided the world doesn't end, they'll all go crazy again. --the tide goes out and the tide goes in, you can't explain it--

:lol:

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:48 pm

Tidal movement has gained a lot of ground with computers, and a bit of improved inference.

Aren't algorythms fighting it out with each other in those markets by now?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:36 pm

Turns out, her anti-bullying nonsense was really all about her. They're all narcissists. I've never seen people with so much feel so sorry for themselves. I guess that's Trumpism in a nutshell, isn't it.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:47 pm

Now Seabass, these are our leaders and our betters. Show some respect please.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:55 pm

I tweeted Trump so his trumpvoters will get pissed off and critisize me
https://twitter.com/P_Lepinkainen/statu ... 2059675649

US Manufacturers paying high tariff on Finnish steel with 12% nickel because the US does not make that steel grade
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:52 am

I picture an aging, saggy, naked Tero leaning dangerously out of his sauna and shaking his fist in the air while grinning and shouting 'mita kuuluu!'
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:56 am

If that's what takes to turn you on, fair enough... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:11 am

JimC wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:56 am
If that's what takes to turn you on, fair enough... :tea:
TELL me that ain't a dramatic, arousing image, JimC! Go ahead, I DARE you!
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:55 am

Tero wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:55 pm
I tweeted Trump so his trumpvoters will get pissed off and critisize me
https://twitter.com/P_Lepinkainen/statu ... 2059675649

US Manufacturers paying high tariff on Finnish steel with 12% nickel because the US does not make that steel grade
Dutch steel exports to America have increased because of exotic steels it produces. For Trump steel is steel but due to the lack of investment America is unable to produce a range of steels used in industry.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:12 am

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:23 am

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:29 am

Nikki Haley has big financial problems which is why she resigned.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nikki-ha ... 42331.html
When Nikki Haley announced she would resign as U.S. ambassador to the United Nations at the end of the year, rumors swirled around her potential 2020 ambitions and next move out of President Trump’s administration.

But her decision to resign also put a spotlight on her personal finances — particularly the hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt she has accrued over the years.

Haley’s 2018 financial disclosure form showed various forms of debt, including between $25,000 and $65,000 in credit card debt and both a line of credit and a mortgage worth between $250,000 and $500,000, separately. Nikki Haley’s debt, therefore, could range anywhere from $525,000 to $1.1 million.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".