Rick Mehta - what happened?

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Rick Mehta - what happened?

Post by Cunt » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:26 pm

I have been following the story of a professor being chastised by his school for saying things. He was a tenured professor at Acadia who was recently fired.

What for? Great question! We have his words on it (though limited) but the university seems to be playing a bit closer to the chest.
Globe article.
University spokesman Scott Roberts said he is unable to comment or “provide any elaboration” on the dismissal as it is a confidential personnel matter.

He also was unable to provide details of the findings of the investigation overseen by Dalhousie University professor emeritus Wayne MacKay, noting that it’s a “privileged document.”

The Acadia University Faculty Association said in a statement Friday it was informed of the firing on Aug. 31, and has since filed for arbitration.

“The termination of a tenured professor is very serious, and (the faculty association) has filed for arbitration while its senior grievance officer and legal counsel examine the administration’s disciplinary procedures and evidence,” the statement said.

Mehta could not immediately be reached for comment on Friday. However, he retweeted a blog article that discussed his firing.

Last month, he said in an email that the only way he could have a copy of the investigation report by MacKay was by signing an agreement, which he called a “gag order.”
Since the university hasn't said exactly which statements are the ones which got him fired, it seems we are to trust their judgement on it. Some guesses (also from the article) include:
Mehta was outspoken both on campus and online about a range of contentious issues including decolonization, immigration and gender politics, garnering both supporters and opposition.

He came under fire for saying multiculturalism is a scam, denying the wage gap between men and women, and dismissing the Truth and Reconciliation Commission as a vehicle for “endless apologies and compensation.”

On Twitter, he retweeted a post that said it is “statistically impossible for all Native children to have had a negative experience with residential schools.”

None of what he said sounds like it could be shown to be wrong. Maybe unpopular, but really - the wage gap? Still being defended? That is a sign of a bullshitter nearly as clear as a tinfoil hat.

Anyone else know anything about it? Or will this remain an internal matter to the university?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Rick Mehta - what happened?

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:29 pm

I heard about it, but I don't know the details.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:38 pm

I can only guess what dimwitted, alt-right bollox the above two are posting, something to do with free speech and oppression, but here's the truth of the matter.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.vice.co ... -professor
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:30 pm

Just read the article, including the dismissal letter which is linked to it. The guy is clearly In the ‘non-progressive’ camp in many respects and that brought him into conflict with the uni. His reaction to his dispute with the general ethos of the institution was however pretty appalling, including, amongst many things using a publicly accessible drop box for student documents, including one from a rape victim describing her experience. Sounds like he got angry and was stupid. And a twat.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:47 pm

The rape victim announced their victimhood in a room with about a hundred people in it. No-one would have known (via the dropbox link) who she was, except those in the class already.

It's easy to see why you two are going to take the stand against him. You are against the protections afforded by tenure, in cases where the persons politics are different than yours.

Great job showing how inclusive and tolerant you are. About as tolerant as Vice or CBC.

Funny how you would use Canada's version of 'Pravda' to show how fair you are lol
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.