Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Re: Tariffs, Tarrifs, Tarrifs!

Post by cronus » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:53 am

Rum wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:45 am
cronus wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:16 am
Prices go up but tariffs are a excuse not a reason...
Well - no surprises but that isn't actually true.

If a company is charged 20% of the value of goods to get them into a country, it might take a bit of a hit and absorb some of the new costs - notionally say 10%. That leaves the same goods costing 10% more in the marketplace. Trump is hoping (apparently) that this will either result in more of that sort of stuff being made locally or the country of origin accepting more American imports to 'balance' the trade difference. It is a blunt and very dangerous strategy.
You are always making the mistaken assumption people are rational operators. That's why this country is in the soup it is. Obviously the lack of machinery, tech know how and wherewithal both in the states and here mean there will be no replacement for lost trade. :coffee:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:07 am

cronus wrote:
Interesting random collection of words. :?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:13 am

cronus wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:53 am
Rum wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:45 am
cronus wrote:
Well - no surprises but that isn't actually true.

If a company is charged 20% of the value of goods to get them into a country, it might take a bit of a hit and absorb some of the new costs - notionally say 10%. That leaves the same goods costing 10% more in the marketplace. Trump is hoping (apparently) that this will either result in more of that sort of stuff being made locally or the country of origin accepting more American imports to 'balance' the trade difference. It is a blunt and very dangerous strategy.
You are always making the mistaken assumption people are rational operators. That's why this country is in the soup it is. Obviously the lack of machinery, tech know how and wherewithal both in the states and here mean there will be no replacement for lost trade. :coffee:
This country is in the soup it is because I am 'always making the mistaken assumption people are rational operators'? Well who knew??

I have no real idea what you are saying..nor do you I suspect.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:17 am

It's got to be an act, surely. Surely? :?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:20 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:17 am
I put a lot of effort into explaining things. One of us can't be wrong? :?
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:48 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:17 am
I've relented of late. You may remember I was getting almost as annoying as Crumple himself with my outbursts at his incoherence. No longer. I am much more at peace as a result. :hehe:

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:20 am

A manufacturer is not going to ”absorb” anything, They will just make a product more cheaply, say with less plastic per unit. The importer pays the tariff. Product on shelf stays same price but looks cheaper.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:25 am

I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:52 am

Tero wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:20 am
A manufacturer is not going to ”absorb” anything, They will just make a product more cheaply, say with less plastic per unit. The importer pays the tariff. Product on shelf stays same price but looks cheaper.
It depends on the manufacturer I would have thought. Some will try to cut their costs, others increase production, some will look for other markets and some might reduce their profit margin - any combination of the above.

In terms of outcome I'm not quite sure what Trump hopes will be achieved and given his reputation (for anyone with a bit of intelligence anyway) one can be tempted into thinking he is just plain wrong. Here'a a well judged argument looking at both sides from the well respected (here anyway) Spectator:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/06/are ... d-against/

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:06 pm

I don't think frump is trying to achieve anything in particular, he just wants to be seen doing stuff...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:06 pm

I think he's looking more for access to their markets. It has, honestly, been a very un-level playing field, so I understand it from that perspective. Whether it works, well, who fucking knows? We can't compete with Chinese slave labor, but we can grow the fuck out of wheat and corn and beef.

And jellyfish. There are some shrimpers up on the Gulf Coast who have switched to jellyfish because the Chinese eat them by the billions.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:08 pm

except that has nothing to do with the Chinese market which is culturally more rice and pork/poultry oriented...
except the jellyfish of course, I don't see how they can eat that, but they do.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:11 pm

The Chinese are running out of land. All of Asia is. There is room up north where nothing grows. They buy a huge amount of animal feed from US.

China drops tariffs on animal feed from Asian countries as U.S. dispute escalates
China will drop tariffs on soybeans, soymeal, soybean cake, rapeseed and fishmeal originating from Bangladesh, India, Laos, South Korea and Sri Lanka from July 1, the ministry said.

Tariffs on soybeans are currently at 3 percent, rapeseed at 9 percent, soybean meal and cake at 5 percent and are 2 percent on fishmeal.
https://in.reuters.com/article/china-us ... NKBN1JM0K6
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:11 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:14 am
Joe wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:16 am
Maybe. Our government could do a lot to help people out with drug costs, but they haven't. It seems like a no-brainer to use it's purchasing power to drive prices down, but one thing I've learned from watching this stuff for decades is that things in Washington are as they are because powerful interests made them that way, and keep them that way.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it's not a slam dunk, where the tariffs are seen as negative by the majority of economists surveyed. When I weigh the risks versus hypothetical benefits, I'd rather not risk bringing in the next economic downturn any sooner than necessary, and keep it as shallow as possible.

Besides, Trump doesn't want tariffs to deter Chinese bad behavior. He wants to eliminate our trade deficit with them, which is an idea that was refuted in mind-numbing detail in 1776, when Adam Smith published The Wealth of Nations. It still stands as an effective argument today, but don't rush off to read it. :biggrin:

Here's a pretty humorous TL;DR.
I thought the last downturn was brought about by irresponsible bankers. What do these bankers think about the tariffs?
Downturns are part of the business cycle. The actions of business and government can make them easier or harder. The banks didn't precipitate the 2008 downturn, but their business practices made it much worse. This is my concern with tariffs, that they make the next downturn worse, which ends up hurting more ordinary folks.

As for the bankers, I haven't seen a survey like with economists, but I have seen concern that lending will decrease as a result of the tariffs, which hurts their bottom line.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:01 pm

I thought it was record that the last crisis was a direct result of bad banks. Calling it a natural downturn seems shady and in the same vein as the lesser of two evils pitch. You know what comes next, after China's behavior catches up with those riding just in front, 'nobody could have seen this coming'.

Except it's not natural, the lesser evil is not crossing your fingers and hoping you get what you can before it catches up to you, and many people probably did see it.

So what besides tariffs should the world be doing to make China a better trading partner?

<--patting myself on the back for a near perfect run of bullshit up to this point. :biggrin: