Kavanaugh hearing

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Re: Kavanaugh hearing

Post by Cunt » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:44 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:41 pm
So you're not asking because you don't know? Wow, big surprise. Do you think it's a good idea to approach every potential conversation in this way?

Anyway, I was just talking about the consensus that global warming is happening and human activities are making it worse. Did you mean to ask about believing something else? <-- totally joking, I don't want you to answer that :lol:
I think those are about the only things everyone does agree on. How to proceed is not as clear.

Think of all the effort humanity wasted saving plastic bags. Could that energy have been better spent?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:46 pm

Who am I? Jesus dude, I don't know everything. Ask Brian something.

Yo Brian, could the energy spent saving plastic bags have been better spent doing something else? If you don't know I suggest asking Hermit, he might.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:46 pm
Who am I? Jesus dude, I don't know everything. Ask Brian something.

Yo Brian, could the energy spent saving plastic bags have been better spent doing something else? If you don't know I suggest asking Hermit, he might.
It was an example of clearly wasted effort.

Recycling them was probably seen as good, but when laws passed restricting their manufacture/distribution, it had a MUCH larger impact.

A lot of the climate change efforts are aiming at individuals, when industry is where the real gains can be made.

A few years ago, they started passing 'idling' bylaws here and there. Lots of energy went into that, when Europe simply made manufacturers build cars which shut down when stopped.

All those idling laws were time which could have been better spent doing almost anything else.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Śiva wrote:...

I'm not saying that 'scientific literacy' is a bad thing per se, only that it needs to be understood that scientific 'facts' are often in flux and should not be taken for absolute truth.
To understand the provisional nature of scientific truths requires scientific literacy.
Śiva wrote: In no way do I support the use of scientific 'facts' to dictate policy.
What other kinds of 'facts' should be taken into consideration?
Śiva wrote:The final decision should always be in the hands of the people.
On what basis can the people come to a rational decision if not on the basis of the 'facts'?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:55 pm

Are you contending, Brian, that 'facts' are only of a scientific nature and there can be no other kind?

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:35 pm

Cunt wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:13 pm
I run with a phd candidate who studies permafrost. Scientist, I guess.

Should I believe him, or climate change science?
Believe?

Neither.

Consider some good ideas.

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:47 pm

Yes. Just as there are very fine people on both sides of the Nazi vs anti-Nazi divide, there are also very smart people on both sides of the climate change vs climate denier divide. Also, we should teach both evolution and ID in public schools since both sides have equal merit. And all that flat-earth stuff... we should probably take that more seriously too, rather than dismiss it out of hand like those crazy people in the spherical-earth mob.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:50 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:40 pm
:lol: when you ask Americans if evolution is real I want a majority to say yes. I think if most of them understand the process of science we can get there.

Is that really so horrible? -how?
If most Americans were scientifically literate, most would have zero emotional investment into the reality or non-reality of the theory of evolution and/or one of its iterations.

Most don't understand the process of science, and expression of a belief in one topic or another is not in any sense an indication that the person has any real understanding of the process.

Rather infuriating are the "studies" graduates, who think they have some scientific understanding when they haven't even studied first year hard sciences. Half the people (conservatively) pontificating about global warming don't even know what Newtonian physics formulas, kinematic equations, or the universal law of gravitation are.

The conclusion of "believing" in evolution isn't the important part. Somebody blew up the entire scientific community by proving the Steady State Theory incorrect. That was "settled" science - and the "consensus." The smartest people in the world thought they had the right idea.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:01 pm

Seabass wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:47 pm
Yes. Just as there are very fine people on both sides of the Nazi vs anti-Nazi divide, there are also very smart people on both sides of the climate change vs climate denier divide. Also, we should teach both evolution and ID in public schools since both sides have equal merit. And all that flat-earth stuff... we should probably take that more seriously too, rather than dismiss it out of hand like those crazy people in the spherical-earth mob.
This is a great example.

"There are very fine people on both sides" did not mean that there are good Nazis. Nobody said that. That's political spin. Nobody likes Nazis or think that some Nazis are "good people." The idea was that not everybody on the other side were Nazis, some were good people.

And, there are very smart people on all the sides of the climate debate.

The flat earth stuff is a very useful exercise. Anyone who had any idea of the history of scientific progress, and the history of western civilization in general, would know that it's not that easy to "prove" the Earth is a spheroid, and it's very useful to know various proofs and how they're done. Like, how Aristarchus was able to show how the sun is the center of the solar system, and he was able to estimate the circumference of the Earth.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:04 pm

I prefer to hear both sides of an issue, when I can.

The left, and mainstream media, tend to lie vigorously (with honesty and other methods) about their ideological opponents.

It only makes sense that the same would be true in the sciences. It's pretty easy to identify a weak argument when it is dismissive of any alternate viewpoint.

Climate science isn't that way. Climate scientists ARE. (being that they are human)

I use the permafrost research example because, while I can participate in that (I hope to help him place a monitoring location on one of my regular run routes, which has unusual seasonal flow) and understand a little of it (I don't have hydrology/geology language skills, and THAT is just the price of 'entry' into his published work) it doesn't lead to any grand conclusions about anything.

So I can go along, see how science is done in the field, help out (if I'm LUCKY!) and try to understand what is being learned.

It takes a long time to really understand any small piece of what is going on. I have a strong suspicion that politicians (who are normally setting policies about these issues) don't have the time, so are just believing their favourite experts.

Believe me, you can choose experts to tell you almost anything you want to hear.

So for me, nothing beats a real exchange of ideas. That's why I like some of those who are labelled 'alt-right'. Seems they are more willing to discuss, rather than just deride.

Of course, there are many who simply CANNOT ABIDE treating the other side respectfully. Unfortunately, it's like labeling themselves as idiots (though I understand they are not).

When I ask about racists, I'm pointed at someone criticising religion and claiming that is racist. When I ask about the subtleties of law around climate change, I'm told that (another example) Steven Crowder is a 'CLIMATE CHANGE DENIER'. By someone who won't listen to him when he takes the time to explain himself.

Crowder is a hilarious example of the left failing at every turn. He has a bit called 'change my mind', where he puts a contentious position on a sign, then invites people to sit and discuss the issue with him, posting unedited interviews. Funny thing about that - noone who sat with him even tried to change his mind. Not one made a good case for the new gender theories. You would think someone could make a strong case pretty neatly, but it turns out there is little beyond vitriol. Check out Caitlyn Jenner grabbing and threatening the little Jew boy when he wouldn't call him 'she'. Should be embarrassing. (it was, hilariously, a very 'toxic masculinity' moment for Mr. Jenner)

No surprise, lots of leftie bullshit relies on suppressing discussion. All those in favour of hate speech laws should simply shut up and let the grown-ups talk.
useful exercise
Yes, Forty Two it is. I first was challenged to prove the earth was round by a SUPER intelligent man, who would have probably been able to make a case for multiple genders, good enough to set Crowder crying, if he chose to.

It is a great exercise to do that with any idea, I think. Harder to make a subtle case to people though, so I understand why he used the 'flat earth' example.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:21 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:50 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:40 pm
:lol: when you ask Americans if evolution is real I want a majority to say yes. I think if most of them understand the process of science we can get there.

Is that really so horrible? -how?
If most Americans were scientifically literate, most would have zero emotional investment into the reality or non-reality of the theory of evolution and/or one of its iterations.

Most don't understand the process of science, and expression of a belief in one topic or another is not in any sense an indication that the person has any real understanding of the process.

Rather infuriating are the "studies" graduates, who think they have some scientific understanding when they haven't even studied first year hard sciences. Half the people (conservatively) pontificating about global warming don't even know what Newtonian physics formulas, kinematic equations, or the universal law of gravitation are.

The conclusion of "believing" in evolution isn't the important part. Somebody blew up the entire scientific community by proving the Steady State Theory incorrect. That was "settled" science - and the "consensus." The smartest people in the world thought they had the right idea.
Why put scare quotes around believe?

People will have whatever emotional investment they like you opinionated twat. :biggrin:

Technically a person's ability to utter the words "evolution is true" says nothing about their level of understanding. But generally speaking we may glean something about the lack of understanding in the public from a large negative response.

Would you have avoided posting this if I had said, believe in evolution because they had a better understanding of the scientific process? Because I think you should've assumed that bit.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:38 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:21 pm

Why put scare quotes around believe?
To emphasize how misplaced it is to apply the word "believe" to a scientific concept. Generally, scientific illiterates talk like that.
Sean Hayden wrote:

People will have whatever emotional investment they like you opinionated twat. :biggrin:
Of course they will. But being emotionally invested in whether other people accept the theory of evolution, much less "believe" it, is stupid.

Sean Hayden wrote:
Technically a person's ability to utter the words "evolution is true" says nothing about their level of understanding. But generally speaking we may glean something about the lack of understanding in the public from a large negative response.
Not necessarily. I've read some rather interesting papers from fairly smart people suggesting that the Big Bang is not "true."
Sean Hayden wrote:

Would you have avoided posting this if I had said, believe in evolution because they had a better understanding of the scientific process? Because I think you should've assumed that bit.
You've missed my point, which was that most of those people smugly and sanctimoniously declaring their belief in evolution and climate change know approximately fuck all about the sciences on which they pontificate. And biology seems to be all-important to some folks, until the question becomes whether humans are a sexually dimorphic species, and then they start talking about how some females have cocks, balls and prostates, and declaring that anyone who doesn't agree is spreading hate and hate speech (biological sciences consensus suddenly isn't so important anymore). Some other folks run around pretending to have some understanding of science and demanding adherence to this or that "consensus", until, of course, that consensus is that glyphosate does not cause cancer, and that GMO crops are safe.

But sure, all those "deniers" are idiots. Well, not all the deniers. Some of the deniers. The ones that don't believe certain truths. The ones that don't believe other things are speaking truth to power, so it's o.k.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:43 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:01 pm
And, there are very smart people on all the sides of the climate debate.
:lol:

Like this guy?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... he-answer/
As a life-long atmospheric scientist, modeler, and Christian, I have learned that output from climate models do not deserve the faith bestowed upon them.
So, to certain religious types who essentially say trust us, as we trust climate scientists to know the future of earth’s climate, the Bible offers a more reliable prediction: “While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night, shall not cease.”
https://www.geneva.edu/faculty-staff/fa ... hony_sadar

https://www.amazon.com/Global-Warming-W ... 0980038375

https://www.amazon.com/Global-Warming-W ... B01C52ATX8

https://www.americanthinker.com/author/anthony_j_sadar/
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:03 pm

To believe: to consider to be true or honest : to accept something as true, genuine, or real : to hold an opinion

This hardly sounds like a word out of place in a sentence like "I believe evolution accounts for the diversity of life". As for the stupidity of being emotionally invested in whether or not other people accept evolution, fuck off. I'm emotionally invested in many things. I'm a pretty emotional guy.

Again you're acting like anything short of being a scientist disqualifies you from being literate. What has a guy at the cutting edge of his field got to do with average Joe American and what we should want for average Joe? Are you seriously suggesting that we can't form reasonable opinions about the level of public understanding of science from a large negative response because some scientists have written papers questioning well supported theories?
Last edited by Sean Hayden on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:05 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:24 pm
Tero wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:57 am
Isn’t this Kavaughnaugh herring over yet? There is almost no reversing it unless Dems take House and Senate. The previous harrasser, Thomas ”pubic hair on Coke can” is still on the court.
Don't forget, he supposedly talked about Long Dong Silver. That's bound to give anyone fits and PTSD. He should have just knitted a "long dong" hat and worn it around. That way it would have been a sign of liberation, not harassment.
Ideal republican candidate: conservative, yet black. Claiming diversity!
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...