Kavanaugh hearing

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Kavanaugh hearing

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:51 pm

Śiva wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:38 pm
Yeah... well... we used to have all sorts of fun (and lots of female members too), but shit changes.
Yes, and the common denominator is that there were lots of female members at a time pre-AtheismPlus and the later evolving SJW trend. It's those douchebags that ruin everything they come in contact with.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Yeah tell me about it.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:49 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:49 pm
I never said it was formed to be a lifeboat for the rational mind, and I made no assertion as to why it was founded. The forum is not merely a "Feral OffTopic" discussion. There is room for that, of course, but there are political, news, current event, historical, philosophical, and scientific areas of the forum. Rationalia is not supposed to be anti-reason or anti-logic -- but if you're trying to say that the discussion boards here are not rational, logical or pro-science, then I'll grant you that some folks here do support your assertion.
The irony of someone starting off with
Forty Two wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:37 pm
This is supposedly a pro-reason, pro-logic, pro-science message board.
and finishing up with the extraordinary gish gallop above, is not lost on me.

I was about to fisk it, but decided to laugh, make a brief comment, and move on. I do suggest you do likewise after you wipe all that egg off your face.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:49 pm

What is your problem? Rationalia has always been pro-reason, logic and science. Look at the discussions here. Other than a few people in the far left arena that have subscribed to some weird SJW version of reality, and few on the far right who have mostly been banned or don't post anymore, it's a pretty rational, logical bunch that values science.

What in the Sam Hill are you on about?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:48 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:25 pm
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:49 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:10 pm
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:33 am
Regarding your assertion that Leland Keyser said that she had 'never met' Kavanaugh, can you cite this quote? As far as I'm aware what she said is that she doesn't know Kavanaugh.
She doesn't know Mr. Kavanaugh. Had she met him, she would know him. Before the FBI interview, Keyser submitted two statements, and then she was interviewed by the FBI and reaffirmed it. https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/l ... thing-new/
Lame bullshit. I've met thousands of people in my life, as I expect you have. Most of them I don't know. I asked you for the quote of Keyser saying that she never met Kavanaugh, or never met him, ever, as you claimed she said. Despite your claim it looks like you don't have one, because she never said that, ever, and it was a fabrication on your part.
Oy, so, she doesn't know him. Right? She does not know Mr. Kavanaugh, and she does not remember the party that Ford described. Right?
I have not disputed that is what she has said. It is you who claimed that she said she never met him, ever. You have yet to cite the quote of her saying that.
Forty Two wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:25 pm
CBS News reported this:
Keyser had previously released a statement through her attorney saying that she did not remember the party in question, and that she does not remember ever meeting Kavanaugh.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/christine- ... kavanaugh/
That is an inaccurate paraphrase of the statement. Anybody can read the published quotes from the statement, and nowhere does Keyser say that she's never met Kavanaugh, nor does she say she 'does not remember ever meeting Kavanaugh.' You've been given ample opportunity to cite a quote of her saying this, and instead of doing so, you've cited a CBS report on her statement which happens to have a paraphrase that coincides with your false quote. In fact later in the same report the exact words are quoted: '... she does not know Judge Kavanaugh and and has no recollection of ever being at a party or gathering where he was present.' Apparently that isn't sufficient for you, so you've embellished what she said by creating a false quote.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:22 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:49 pm
What is your problem? Rationalia has always been pro-reason, logic and science. Look at the discussions here. Other than a few people in the far left arena that have subscribed to some weird SJW version of reality, and few on the far right who have mostly been banned or don't post anymore, it's a pretty rational, logical bunch that values science.

:lol: You know you've been caught dishing out a cheap shot and railing gainst others for apparently not upholding the shining guiding principles of the forum. Just own it and move on dude. :D
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:32 pm

Yeah, if the shoe fits.... :funny:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:35 pm

...jam it up your arse! :lay:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:36 pm

Consult your doctor, YMMV.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:42 pm

He'll only tell me to keep taking my medication! :lay:
And my gin!

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 pm

Can you take it with gin?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:45 pm

Why would I wash the pills down with boring old water when neat gin is available? :dunno:
And my gin!

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:49 pm

If it messes with the flavor of the gin...or so I've been told. :whistle:

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Medication + alcohol - it's a winning combination.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:06 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:49 pm

Far left? Who here is far left? Sandinista was far left, but I haven't seen him around in forever.

SJW? Who here is an SJW? You? You do seem to often be in need of a safe space. Are you an SJW? I tend to think of you more as a Social Injustice Warrior.

The far-right? They're still here. There's a guy named "Forty Two" who slimes the forum every day with far-right, pro-Trump propaganda. There's also Tyrannical who still pops in to spew hate from time to time.

Rational, logical bunch that values science? Yes, most of us. I'd exclude you from that group, however, since you continue to support this ignorant, dangerous moron:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka