Meanwhile, in Florida...

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: Meanwhile, in Florida...

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:01 pm

Not Florida per se, but related to upthread discussion.

:whistle:

From twit machine.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:09 pm

:mob:

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:21 pm

Hermit wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:36 pm
laklak wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:09 pm
It's the GOP equivalent of the Dems screeching "racism" at everything.
It's such a relief to know that screeching "you're a paedophile" is equivalent to screeching "you're a racist". :roll:
Some see pedos everywhere, some see racists. Both are wrong.

That said, being accused of racism can certainly get you fired.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:23 pm

Hey, I'd love to be a groom, if the bride be hot
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:02 pm

You missed by a few centuries ...besides you ain't a Laird
Droit du seigneur ('lord's right'), also known as ius primae noctis ('right of the first night'), was a supposed legal right in medieval Europe, allowing feudal lords to have sexual relations with subordinate women, in particular, on the wedding nights of the women.
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

laklak

Post by laklak » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:42 pm

Florida is now number 3 in the nation in education, thanks to Governor DeSantis. We just keep getting better and better!

DeSantis 2024! Make America Florida!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:05 pm

macdoc wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:02 pm
You missed by a few centuries ...besides you ain't a Laird
Droit du seigneur ('lord's right'), also known as ius primae noctis ('right of the first night'), was a supposed legal right in medieval Europe, allowing feudal lords to have sexual relations with subordinate women, in particular, on the wedding nights of the women.
the jus primae noctis is an invention of the anti aristocratic 'enlightenment' anyway.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:07 pm

laklak wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:42 pm
Florida is now number 3 in the nation in education, thanks to Governor DeSantis. We just keep getting better and better!

I assume the louse made you #1 like rump fulfilled his MAGA promise?

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:52 pm

and drowning ....bye bye Miami....

Prolly all those well educated Snowbirds improving the edumicated pool. :biggrin:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

laklak

Post by laklak » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:32 pm

Florida is one of those places where South is North and North is South. South of Tampa Bay it's almost all Yankee transplants and South Americans, north Florida has far more in common with Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi. Y'all can probably guess where my allegiances lie. There are worse things in the world than Miami underwater.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:50 am

laklak wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:32 pm
There are worse things in the world than Miami underwater.
Not that Miami is going to be underwater by 2100 anyway. The Verge's prediction of a 4.3 to 9.9 meter sea level rise by then is ex recto material. The currently NOAA's figure for the most likely scenario is a rise of 0.6 meters. Assuming a worst case scenario it predicts a 2.1 meter rise.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/hazards/s ... eport.html
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:09 am

2.1 likely make most of it unliveable anyway ..the US gov has a very large bill coming to move the Navy shipyards.
Our insurance in Cairns is likely to change within 10 years as sea level rises but Australia has a secret weapon reducing the impact around the continent.
Sea level along the U.S. coastline is projected to rise, on average, 10 - 12 inches (0.25 - 0.30 meters) in the next 30 years (2020 - 2050), which will be as much as the rise measured over the last 100 years (1920 - 2020). Sea level rise will vary regionally along U.S. coasts because of changes in both land and ocean height.
from your link.

Greenland and Western Antarctic are losing ice very rapidly so who the hell knows what it will be - the only near certainty is this collective group won't be around to see it....

https://www.newscientist.com/article/23 ... e-thought/

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:55 am

macdoc wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:09 am
2.1 likely make most of it unliveable anyway ..the US gov has a very large bill coming to move the Navy shipyards.
Our insurance in Cairns is likely to change within 10 years as sea level rises but Australia has a secret weapon reducing the impact around the continent.
Sea level along the U.S. coastline is projected to rise, on average, 10 - 12 inches (0.25 - 0.30 meters) in the next 30 years (2020 - 2050), which will be as much as the rise measured over the last 100 years (1920 - 2020). Sea level rise will vary regionally along U.S. coasts because of changes in both land and ocean height.
from your link.

Greenland and Western Antarctic are losing ice very rapidly so who the hell knows what it will be - the only near certainty is this collective group won't be around to see it....

https://www.newscientist.com/article/23 ... e-thought/

I was not disputing that climate warming is a global disaster in the making, Mac, so don't bother lecturing me. I was disputing the bullshit sea level rise figures quoted in the first Youtube clip you linked to. Care to comment on that?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:20 pm

Verge was a puff piece, no source given and a joke for Lak....lighten up. Yeesh.

...we also don't know what it will be, but 2.5 m will do in most of the state.
If we follow a pathway with high emissions, a worst-case scenario of as much as 8.2 feet (2.5 meters) above 2000 levels by 2100 cannot be ruled out.
https://www.climate.gov/news-features/u ... -sea-level

or we get a nuclear winter or another big bolide and walk to Cuba. :dunno:

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:28 am

Damn activist judges. :hehe:

'Citing Likely Racist Motives, Federal Judge Blocks Florida GOP's Voter Suppression Law'
Civil rights defenders on Thursday welcomed a ruling by a federal judge who struck down parts of a Florida voter suppression law, calling racism "a motivating factor" in the GOP-backed legislation's passage.

In a 288-page ruling, U.S. District Judge Mark Walker blocked provisions of Florida's Senate Bill 90, a massive attack on voting rights signed by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis in 2020. The law empowers partisan poll watchers, imposes strict voter ID requirements, criminalizes so-called "ballot harvesting," limits ballot drop boxes, and bans advocacy groups from handing out food or water to voters waiting in long lines.

"At some point, when the Florida Legislature passes law after law disproportionately burdening Black voters, this court can no longer accept that the effect is incidental," Walker wrote. "Based on the indisputable pattern set out above, this court finds that, in the past 20 years, Florida has repeatedly sought to make voting tougher for Black voters because of their propensity to favor Democratic candidates."

Cecile Scoon, president of the League of Women Voters of Florida—the lead plaintiff in the case—said in a statement that "for democracy to work, it must include all voices. A federal judge has ruled that the Florida Legislature has engaged in decades of intentional discrimination against Black voters with a series of voting laws" like S.B. 90.