Disaster: Alex Jones InfoWars banned!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: Disaster: Alex Jones InfoWars banned!

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:20 pm

The lower the organism, the more immediate is its concerns, both spatially & temporally.
Like the Harkonnen dogs, eh brother!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:35 pm

Galaxian wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:46 pm
It's strange how so many members here and on other such forums can't break out of their shackles of linear & conventional thinking. Trapped within their cognitive dissonance. Ignoring one of the greatest scientific concepts ever formulated: Natural Selection.
Blah blah blah poisoning the well blah blah blah.
Do you really think that the world is only what you, yourself, can reach out & touch? Do you expect that Natural Selection is limited to the organisms that you see? That there are no other dimensions, no other beings on other worlds or dimensions that it works on?
Blah blah blah strawman blah blah false dichotomy blah blah blah.
It's more comfortable that way, isn't it? The lower the organism, the more immediate is its concerns, both spatially & temporally. The higher the organism the wider its perspectives, interests & understanding, both spatially & temporally. Here's the Club of Rome interpretation in Limits to Growth:
Blah blah blah reification blah blah blah.

https://collections.dartmouth.edu/conte ... 19_f01.jpg
The appreciation of this fact depends on nature, nurture, and experience. That is, most find it impossible to rise above their limitations, a tiny few can break out through that ceiling.
Bertrand Russell put it like this in his book "Power". He said that the vast majority of humanity are followers. A fraction are leaders. And he then discusses those groups. But he pauses, to put in a small paragraph: That there is a third minuscule number of beings who he won't discuss because there's so few of them: They are those who neither want to follow, nor to lead... they are free of these limitations, and soar in a universe the others are oblivious of. And because they're thus deprived, they assume that the very few in that rarefied cognitive condition must be mad...
Blah blah blah misrepresentation blah blah blah.

Russell also says in that classic work that scepticism is the only rational antidote to the insistent demands of fanatics and cranks, and that at it's root scepticism offers nothing more than a framework by which one can challenge the claims of others. Claims are made, sceptical challenges issued, and then the sceptic sits back and awaits the meeting of those challenges in order to progress towards a rational assessment of a claim"s justification.

It seems to me that we're still waiting for you to meet those kind of challenges, to answer the question, to give some reasons to believe you.

Yeah, some of us have been waiting for many years now, and still you produce little but bold declarations along with your usual portion of sneer and derision. When faced with a sceptical challenge you'll invariably tell us that the reason we don't believe you is because we just can't; because we are intellectually, cognitively, socially, politically, or personally incapable of understanding your point. However, that's just the story you've come to rely on even if it's one that shifts the burden of justification from you, the claimant, to us, the sceptical... Basically, what you're dealing in is a 'just so' story, and it does not honestly reflect the state of things nor adequately explain them - though it does support your self-declared outsider status. Perhaps that's the point?

Thus, even while you continue to make grand and sweeping claims about the nature and operation of the world we sceptics are simply waiting for you to support them with something other than bilious denunciations smeared across a "just because" that's well past its sell-by date. Furthermore, the honest sceptics among us place none of the conditions you cite upon that outstanding support - other than just asking for it again and again - and still you've failed to meet even most the basic of challenges... [And no, posting YouTube clips is not a credible alternative - it just swaps your own anecdotes for those of others]

Frankly, it's time to divulge your hypotheses, datasets and methodologies, and to demonstrate by rational, empirical means how your hypotheses can be both supported and falsified, at least such that only one firm set of conclusions can be draw from the available data. If you want to promote a scientific rationale for your objective claims about the world then it's time to get all sciency bro. Go for it! Don't be shy :D
You decide for yourselves where you fit in on the above scatter diagram, & in Russell's description... :levi:
Blah blah blah sophistry blah blah distraction blah blah Clupeidae Rouge blah blah blah.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:51 pm

Yeah but Glaxo soars! We just dunt unerdtand him cos hes so superior! :pardon:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:55 pm

I think he's disappeared up his own 5th dimensional orifice...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Post by Galaxian » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:43 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:35 pm
Galaxian wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:46 pm
It's strange how so many members here and on other such forums can't break out of their shackles of linear & conventional thinking. Trapped within their cognitive dissonance. Ignoring one of the greatest scientific concepts ever formulated: Natural Selection.
Do you really think that the world is only what you, yourself, can reach out & touch? Do you expect that Natural Selection is limited to the organisms that you see? That there are no other dimensions, no other beings on other worlds or dimensions that it works on?
Blah blah blah strawman blah blah false dichotomy blah blah blah.
It's more comfortable that way, isn't it? The lower the organism, the more immediate is its concerns, both spatially & temporally. The higher the organism the wider its perspectives, interests & understanding, both spatially & temporally. Here's the Club of Rome interpretation in Limits to Growth:
Blah blah blah reification blah blah blah.
https://collections.dartmouth.edu/conte ... 19_f01.jpg
The appreciation of this fact depends on nature, nurture, and experience. That is, most find it impossible to rise above their limitations, a tiny few can break out through that ceiling.
Bertrand Russell put it like this in his book "Power". He said that the vast majority of humanity are followers. A fraction are leaders. And he then discusses those groups. But he pauses, to put in a small paragraph: That there is a third minuscule number of beings who he won't discuss because there's so few of them: They are those who neither want to follow, nor to lead... they are free of these limitations, and soar in a universe the others are oblivious of. And because they're thus deprived, they assume that the very few in that rarefied cognitive condition must be mad...
Blah blah blah misrepresentation blah blah blah.
Hole in one! Spot on!
Brian Peacock wrote:
Russell also says in that classic work that scepticism is the only rational antidote to the insistent demands of fanatics and cranks, and that at it's root scepticism offers nothing more than a framework by which one can challenge the claims of others. Claims are made, sceptical challenges issued, and then the sceptic sits back and awaits the meeting of those challenges in order to progress towards a rational assessment of a claim"s justification.

It seems to me that we're still waiting for you to meet those kind of challenges, to answer the question, to give some reasons to believe you.
What makes you think I give a shit whether you 'believe' me or not?
Brian Peacock wrote:
Yeah, some of us have been waiting for many years now, and still you produce little but bold declarations along with your usual portion of sneer and derision. When faced with a sceptical challenge you'll invariably tell us that the reason we don't believe you is because we just can't; because we are intellectually, cognitively, socially, politically, or personally incapable of understanding your point. However, that's just the story you've come to rely on even if it's one that shifts the burden of justification from you, the claimant, to us, the sceptical... Basically, what you're dealing in is a 'just so' story, and it does not honestly reflect the state of things nor adequately explain them - though it does support your self-declared outsider status. Perhaps that's the point?
That's not true. hundreds of links, calculation, and items of evidence have been produced since the beginning of RDF.
The challenges are never skeptical. They're just plain dumb... it's like trying to explain calculus to an illiterate 7 year old. One simply does NOT do that sort of thing. Who is more demented, the dog who barks, or the man who barks back? :dunno:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Thus, even while you continue to make grand and sweeping claims about the nature and operation of the world we sceptics are simply waiting for you to support them with something other than bilious denunciations smeared across a "just because" that's well past its sell-by date. Furthermore, the honest sceptics among us place none of the conditions you cite upon that outstanding support - other than just asking for it again and again - and still you've failed to meet even most the basic of challenges... [And no, posting YouTube clips is not a credible alternative - it just swaps your own anecdotes for those of others]
See above. Why would Galaxian give a shit? Playing Beethoven to a deaf audience is idiocy. But SJWs try it.
Brian Peacock wrote:
Frankly, it's time to divulge your hypotheses, datasets and methodologies, and to demonstrate by rational, empirical means how your hypotheses can be both supported and falsified, at least such that only one firm set of conclusions can be draw from the available data. If you want to promote a scientific rationale for your objective claims about the world then it's time to get all sciency bro. Go for it! Don't be shy :D
You decide for yourselves where you fit in on the above scatter diagram, & in Russell's description... :levi:
Blah blah blah sophistry blah blah distraction blah blah Clupeidae Rouge blah blah blah.
Fair request :this: OK, if you're sincere do a search of RDF, RatSkep, & Rationalia. But you won't. So I won't :coffee:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:46 am

I can think of fewer sadder things than someone who is full of shit but does not have a clue that they are.

Well I can, but it is well up there.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:52 am

Galaxian wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:43 am
Fair request :this: OK, if you're sincere do a search of RDF, RatSkep, & Rationalia. But you won't. So I won't :coffee:
Since when ought it be up to us to back your assertions up? You made them. It's up to you to present them. Vaguely waving your hand in the general direction of where you claim they can be found is not acceptable.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Galaxian

Post by Galaxian » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:58 am

Hermit wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:52 am
Galaxian wrote:
Since when ought it be up to us to back your assertions up? You made them. It's up to you to present them. Vaguely waving your hand in the general direction of where you claim they can be found is not acceptable.
No, you don't have to back up my assertions. Haven't done it so far, so don't break the pattern. Don't give a tinker's toss...

In all the years I've been on these forums, I only recall 2 occasions when someone changed their opinion based on debate. It's harder than pulling teeth. Has NOTHING to do with skepticism, honesty, or intellectual rigor :coffee:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:31 pm

Galaxian wrote:
What makes you think I give a shit whether you 'believe' me or not?
Then don't come here pretending that you've got anything other than a personal opinion, or that your opinion is somehow elevated by your self-declared intellectual superiority, or that you're not just using this place as a proxy for a vanity blog service for unsubstantiated claims and assertions..
Galaxian wrote:
if you're sincere do a search of RDF, RatSkep, & Rationalia. But you won't. So I won't :coffee:
No, you support and justify your claims and assertions and we'll make an assessment on that basis, as we have done thus far.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:36 pm

Rum wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:46 am
I can think of fewer sadder things than someone who is full of shit but does not have a clue that they are.

Well I can, but it is well up there.
Don't you get it? He's trying to get better by shitting it all out. Our being his medium of choice to do that is but unfortunate happenstance.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Galaxian wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:58 am
In all the years I've been on these forums, I only recall 2 occasions when someone changed their opinion based on debate. It's harder than pulling teeth. Has NOTHING to do with skepticism, honesty, or intellectual rigor :coffee:
Yes, I know what you mean. It's a rare event when someone changes their opinions based on debate. It's rarer still when debates are full of assertions, but bereft of substantiation.

For example, not a great number of people will believe you have travelled to Mars for no better reason than you say you have. It's a bit like me expecting people to believe that I can suck my dick just because I say I can. However, if I said I can suck my dick and published non-faked videos of me doing exactly that, I predict that I'd convince many people that my assertion is true.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Galaxian

Post by Galaxian » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:24 pm

Hermit wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:38 pm
Galaxian wrote:
...not a great number of people will believe you have travelled to Mars for no better reason than you say you have. It's a bit like me expecting people to believe that I can suck my dick
Galaxian is glad that SOME people DO believe in my Space travels. Please keep your dick out of it... :|~

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:27 pm

Galaxian wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:24 pm
Hermit wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:38 pm
Galaxian wrote:
...not a great number of people will believe you have travelled to Mars for no better reason than you say you have. It's a bit like me expecting people to believe that I can suck my dick
Galaxian is glad that SOME people DO believe in my Space travels. Please keep your dick out of it... :|~
Way to evade the point. :roll:

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:38 pm

In fact, I keep several Mars in my work desk drawer. No need to travel. I just have to reach for them.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:01 pm

I imagine Glaxo prefers..

Trigger Warning!!!1! :
galxy.jpg
galxy.jpg (34.51 KiB) Viewed 1559 times