Jail the arseholes!

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Jail the arseholes!

Post by JimC » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:12 am

Confessional bullshit more important to priests than protecting children: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-16/c ... se/9877526
Catholic priests have said they are not willing to break the seal of confession to report child sex abuse, and would rather go to jail than abide by the law.

South Australia has joined the ACT in moving ahead with laws to force Catholic priests to break the seal of confession, to report paedophiles to police.

Other states are still deliberating over whether or not they will adopt that recommendation from the royal commission.

But Catholic Church leaders have rejected the idea.

Father Michael Whelan, the parish priest in St Patrick's Church Hill in Sydney, said priests would not break the seal of confession.

"The state will be requiring us as Catholic priests to commit as what we regard as the most serious crime and I'm not willing to do that," Father Whelan said.
The New South Wales Government has said it would respond later this month about whether priests would be legally obliged to report confessions of child sex abuse.

"I expect every jurisdiction in Australia now will follow that recommendation and I expect the church throughout will simply not observe it?" Father Whelan said.

Asked if the Catholic Church was above the law, he said: "Absolutely not, but when state tries to intervene on our religious freedom, undermine the essence of what it means to be a Catholic, we will resist."

"The only way they [the states] would be able to see whether the law was being observed or not is to try and entrap priests."

Father Whelan said he was "willing to go to jail" rather than abide by a law.
Hope that, if some do the catholic martyr thing, they get to share a cell with a large tatted bikie with childhood abuse issues...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Jail the arseholes!

Post by Rum » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:07 am

It really is not that far removed from the mental outlook that allowes Jihadists to blow up people in the name of god.

Another bit of evidence that belief in god can be innately evil.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:01 am

Is it not a crime to not report a crime? The votaries of Papism don't get to pick and choose which laws they honour or ignore any more than the rest of us do - unless they're specifically granted that privilege in law of course.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:07 am

to them, the secret of confession is absolute, if they start acting on, disseminating, or reporting on what they hear, nobody will confess anymore and all mankind will be doomed to eternal damnation for not seeking absolution of their sins. to them, betraying the secret of confession is the the greater crime.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:31 am

Svartalf wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:07 am
to them, the secret of confession is absolute, if they start acting on, disseminating, or reporting on what they hear, nobody will confess anymore and all mankind will be doomed to eternal damnation for not seeking absolution of their sins. to them, betraying the secret of confession is the the greater crime.
They have imbued the confessional with the sacred, a perfect example of fanatical and delusional absolutism that trumps any real-world ethical analysis...

Suffer the little children indeed...
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:41 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:01 am
Is it not a crime to not report a crime? The votaries of Papism don't get to pick and choose which laws they honour or ignore any more than the rest of us do - unless they're specifically granted that privilege in law of course.
The confessional is pretty much inviolable. In fact the punishment for breaking the confessional is excommunication (no bad thing one might think...)The link explains the rules: http://catholicstraightanswers.com/can- ... y-priests/

However here is a discussion about what might happen in the case of child abuse being confessed. http://canonlawmadeeasy.com/2008/12/04/ ... onfession/

It suggests ways around the rules, for example, it suggests, if the persona is fully repentant then they might not be a risk in future (lol!). Another approach might be to offer to go to the police with the confessing person to support them, Yet another to speak with them outside the confessional ritual. Yet another to warn the police without naming names or indicating the identity of the person.

All bullshit of course.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:46 am

All bullshit. The confessional shouldn't be a place beyond the reach of the law. I propose putting cameras and microphones in all confessional boxes - it can't be a violation of personal privacy when God is watching everything you do and hearing everything you think anyway.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:48 am

Yeah - you'd think god would turn the pedos over to the cops if he cared that much. :smug:

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Or the priest would tell them to turn themselves in as their penance, and being good Catholics, they'd do it. :roll:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Well, if they were good catlickers, they would refrain from doing such horrible sins in the first place, thinking about it and not doing it grants you brownie point in the confessional... not in fact, since thinking of sinning is the same as actually doing it (there's a passage in NT where Jesus says as much, Matt 5. 21-27), but if you refrain and confess, you're good.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Maybe they compare notes.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:45 pm

Frank Zappa

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:53 pm

Rong thred maight.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:55 pm

D'oh¡¡¡ :doh:

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:04 pm

Up cassocks?

:hehe:
And my gin!