Gambling machines. I'm seriously impressed.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re: Gambling machines. I'm seriously impressed.

Post by laklak » Wed May 23, 2018 2:08 pm

I have no objection to contract work in principle, I worked contract jobs for the last 15 years of my working life, and probably 20 years total. Never had benefits through work, and didn't have to deal with a load of corporate HR horseshit. There were definite advantages and disadvantages. I made far more money as a contractor then I did as an employee. A couple of clients tried to get me to go full time, but that would have meant at least a 50% pay cut. This is a different thing, though, it's a way to avoid paying minimum wages and providing benefits.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Wed May 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:16 am
Strontium Dog wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:05 pm
laklak wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:45 pm
I don't get this zero hour contract thing, can someone explain it to me? I could Google it but I'm lazy.
It just means you're employed, but you're not contracted to work a set number of hours. In practice, the average zero hours employee works approximately 25 hours per week.
I would like to see some data on that?
Is Google broken in Holland?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlab ... rs/mar2017
People on “zero-hours contracts” are more likely to be young, part-time, women, or in full-time education when compared with other people in employment. On average, someone on a “zero-hours contract” usually works 25 hours a week. Around 1 in 3 people (32%) on a “zero-hours contract” want more hours, with most wanting them in their current job, as opposed to a different job that offers more hours. In comparison, 9% of other people in employment wanted more hours.
The latest estimate from the LFS shows that 905,000 people reported that they were on a “zero-hours contract” in the period October to December 2016, representing 2.8% of people in employment.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Wed May 23, 2018 3:46 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:56 am
I know what full employment is. You apparently don't, as full employment is an arbitrary number that doesn't say anything about the number of jobseekers in a country. So congratulations on avoiding the point. Again, there are far more job seekers than job vacancies. So to say that the unemployed are "unwilling to go out and earn their own through an honest day's work" is spectacularly ignorant and callous in a way that only conservatives can be.
I'm not a conservative, you spectacular imbecile. And yes, you demonstrate again not only that you don't know what full employment means, but also that you are unaware of how "number of vacancies" and "number of jobseekers" is not a zero sum game.
pErvinalia wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:00 am
Strontium Dog doesn't do data. He does conservative fee fees..
Deeply ironic on so many levels. I literally only do data. Leave the fee fees up to those who ignore the facts for their own agendas.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed May 23, 2018 6:10 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:42 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:16 am
Strontium Dog wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:05 pm
laklak wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:45 pm
I don't get this zero hour contract thing, can someone explain it to me? I could Google it but I'm lazy.
It just means you're employed, but you're not contracted to work a set number of hours. In practice, the average zero hours employee works approximately 25 hours per week.
I would like to see some data on that?
Is Google broken in Holland?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlab ... rs/mar2017
People on “zero-hours contracts” are more likely to be young, part-time, women, or in full-time education when compared with other people in employment. On average, someone on a “zero-hours contract” usually works 25 hours a week. Around 1 in 3 people (32%) on a “zero-hours contract” want more hours, with most wanting them in their current job, as opposed to a different job that offers more hours. In comparison, 9% of other people in employment wanted more hours.
The latest estimate from the LFS shows that 905,000 people reported that they were on a “zero-hours contract” in the period October to December 2016, representing 2.8% of people in employment.

However those people on zero hours contracts are more or less at the mercy of their employers. Their immediate boss - often a lower or middle level manager- can do you favours, withhold hours or fire you for that matter without having to justify it. My daughter has worked in retail off and on for many a year and has a tale to tell about the system.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed May 23, 2018 7:09 pm

your daughter, the one that is into ceramics?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed May 23, 2018 8:45 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:09 pm
your daughter, the one that is into ceramics?
Yep - she has had to earn a crust over the years as well - mostly in retail.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu May 24, 2018 12:33 am

Strontium Dog wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:46 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:56 am
I know what full employment is. You apparently don't, as full employment is an arbitrary number that doesn't say anything about the number of jobseekers in a country. So congratulations on avoiding the point. Again, there are far more job seekers than job vacancies. So to say that the unemployed are "unwilling to go out and earn their own through an honest day's work" is spectacularly ignorant and callous in a way that only conservatives can be.
I'm not a conservative, you spectacular imbecile.
You clearly are, given your disdain for the disadvantaged.
And yes, you demonstrate again not only that you don't know what full employment means, but also that you are unaware of how "number of vacancies" and "number of jobseekers" is not a zero sum game.
I know what full employment means. Perhaps you can explain to me how it relates to the concept of there being far more jobseekers than vacancies. I don't see it. And I'm not sure what you mean by a zero sum game in this context.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Thu May 24, 2018 1:59 pm

Strontium Dog lives in Liverpool.

Of course he gets hassled for money on the street every day. That's the traditional occupation of all Liverpudlians, when they aren't stealing the hubcaps off cars.

A Liverpudlian who won a fortune on the lottery was once asked what he intended to do about all the inevitable begging letters.

His reply was, "keep sending them".

:hehe:
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu May 24, 2018 9:00 pm

mistermack wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:59 pm
That's the traditional occupation of all Liverpudlians, when they aren't stealing the hubcaps off cars.
In Melbourne, we tell the same stories, just substituting the inner suburb Collingwood for Liverpool... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue May 29, 2018 10:36 pm

Strontium Dog, the following post: http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 8#p1770408

contains a personal attack on another member. This is a gentle reminder to avoid such posts in future.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Tue May 29, 2018 11:59 pm

JimC wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:36 pm
Strontium Dog, the following post: http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 8#p1770408

contains a personal attack on another member. This is a gentle reminder to avoid such posts in future.
He called me a conservative. That's worse.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed May 30, 2018 12:46 am

Strontium Dog wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 11:59 pm
JimC wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 10:36 pm

He called me a conservative. That's worse.
:lol:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed May 30, 2018 8:22 am

ZHC are banned in most countries on this side of the channel. The British unemployment figures are a sham like almost everything the British government does.

Unemployment in the UK is now so low it’s in danger of exposing the lie used to create the numbers

The UK refuses to use the accepted EU employment measuring methods as it does in everything else; crime, education, health and social care. It blurs everything like the article posted by SD. It is true of everything done in the UK. Local spending is another. Local authorities have been cashed strapped for years and are still being cut back. Why? To create a bigger enough cushion for the tory supporters in post-Brexit Britain.

Forget Brexit, we need to start talking about the real issue blighting our nation – potholes
As a council tax payer, I have a voice but no one in mission control is listening
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed May 30, 2018 9:56 am

unemployment is really that low in the UK? I thought there was a whole underclass of terminally unemployed folk.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed May 30, 2018 10:10 am

Did you read this bit:
The problem with this record is that the statistical definition of “unemployment” relies on a fiction that economists tell themselves about the nature of work. As the rate gets lower and lower, it tests that lie. Because – as anyone who has studied basic economics knows – the official definition of unemployment disguises the true rate. In reality, about 21.5% of all working-age people (defined as ages 16 to 64) are without jobs, or 8.83 million people, according to the Office for National Statistics.
Almost a quarter are unemployed.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".