Change the name of Israel

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Change the name of Israel

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:27 pm

Dude - here is another map -

People used the world "Palestine" for that "region." It wasn't a fucking country. Just stop. You're not correct.

In 1947 the area called "Palestine" was what was left after the carve out of Jordan and the border of Egypt was set. That wasn't a country. It was what was left of the British Mandate for Palestine. That's all it was.

It was no more a country than you can say that "Transjordan" was a country before the British Mandate created it. It wasn't a fucking country. They invented it. Then they invented Israel and the Palestinian Territories - the Palestinian Arab Muslims would have had another Muslim state on the land that is the Palestinian territories if they wanted it. They didn't. So, it's not a country now, either.

What is it you are arguing? That in 1920 "Palestine" was a country? It wasn't. It just flat out wasn't. If you think it was, you're wrong, and you're not looking at reality. It wasn't a country in 1920, 21, 22, 23, 24, or 25......or 30.... or 35... or 40... or 45.... it wasn't. Not all regions on maps are countries.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:02 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:27 pm

People used the world "Palestine" for that "region." It wasn't a fucking country. Just stop. You're not correct....
But at least now we can say that the people expunged from their homes in the formation of Israel were Palestinians, and that the flag in the cartoon represents that identity in the same way that flags represent the identity of peoples whether by nation or football team. The issue highlighted by the cartoon is one of forced exclusion, the status of the nation of Palestine over time is secondary, and the former is not dependant upon the latter.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:19 pm

Again, names on maps aren't the real issue of this history - that occurred on a smaller scale, as Arab peasant farmers were forced off land they had farmed for generations; and thanks to the settlement program, it's still happening today...

Even this dispute about history is rather pointless to argue over - the current, pragmatic reality is that Israel exists, and is highly unlikely to be successfully challenged by military force. Either both sides give a little, and move forward with compromise to some form of 2 state solution, or the stalemate continues. I know which way I'd be betting...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:12 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:27 pm

People used the world "Palestine" for that "region." It wasn't a fucking country. Just stop. You're not correct.
I never said it was a country. In addition to not being able to read your own map, you appear unable to read what I wrote. What's your malfunction?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:57 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:40 pm
Hermit wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:40 pm
You're still confused about the meaning of terra nullius. It doesn't actually mean anything like "no humans live here". It means instead "this land is owned by nobody". I've briefly outlined the concept and its implications here, but you seem to have skipped over that post.
Once again - I've never said it was "owned by nobody." I also never said "no humans lived there." It was "owned by" the British Mandate for Palestine, and before that it was "owned by" the Ottoman Empire.
So, why exactly do you keep bringing up the point that there never was a Palestinian nation?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:37 am

Hermit wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:57 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:40 pm
Hermit wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:40 pm
You're still confused about the meaning of terra nullius. It doesn't actually mean anything like "no humans live here". It means instead "this land is owned by nobody". I've briefly outlined the concept and its implications here, but you seem to have skipped over that post.
Once again - I've never said it was "owned by nobody." I also never said "no humans lived there." It was "owned by" the British Mandate for Palestine, and before that it was "owned by" the Ottoman Empire.
So, why exactly do you keep bringing up the point that there never was a Palestinian nation?
Because there wasn't. Just like there was never an Israel nation (not since hundreds of years before Rome, if at all). Just like there wasn't a Jordan or Transjordan before the 20s. Just like there wasn't a Turkey or Iraq. These are all inventions of the post WW1 carve out of the Ottoman Empire. THERE WAS NO PALESTINIAN NATION -- there is nothing wrong with saying that, because it's true. If you think otherwise, please cite the years it existed.

The reason I bring it up is that the only difference between Israel being a perfectly fine, yet arbitrarily delineated, State just like Jordan, Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, etc., is that it's Jewish, not Muslim. That's the only reason people are bitching about it. They think that making a Jewish state there was not acceptable. The one thing they can't explain is why, other than its non-Muslimness, why other than that is it illegitimate? Is there something in the soil that makes it rightfully "Islamic?" Of course not.

If you can put a second state next to Israel called "Palestine" -- who is that any more legitimate than Israel? Could you make the whole area (including current Israel) the "Islamic State of Palestine?" And would that be more legitimate? Why? On what basis is that more legitimate?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:09 am

Forty Two wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:37 am
The reason I bring it up is that the only difference between Israel being a perfectly fine, yet arbitrarily delineated, State just like Jordan, Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, etc., is that it's Jewish, not Muslim. That's the only reason people are bitching about it. They think that making a Jewish state there was not acceptable. The one thing they can't explain is why, other than its non-Muslimness, why other than that is it illegitimate? Is there something in the soil that makes it rightfully "Islamic?" Of course not.
I'll leave you to answer your own extraneous questions, but some people might not think that this is all about Muslims, as you appear to - just that it's high time that the historical folly and error of expunging people from their homes by force was acknowledged - perhaps in a similar way the terrible treatment of Native American or Native Australians has been acknowledged, and in the hope of moving on. But it's difficult to move on if one cannot put the past behind one, and perhaps impossible when that past is not even acknowledged, or if it acknowledged is gaslighted beyond recognition.

Sectarianism thrives on justifying the action of one's group in terms of the actions of the other - it's a form of hand-waving really, a way of making others responsible for one's own choices and actions. Taking overly-detailed issue with a cartoon that necessarily deals in the broadest of strokes, avoiding engaging on the exclusion of Palestinian communities by force, and effectively carping on about how the Palestinian people have no real or legitimate cause to complain about what happened to their forebares during the formation of Israel (because they weren't even a proper country at the time) comes across as indistinguishable from disingenuous cant.

What position are you defending here exactly? Is it that creating a Jewish state entitles one to violently seize the property of others and force the survivors off their own land - as long as one stoically avoids recognising the occupants claim to that land in the first place? That's a fine message to send out isn't it(?), and one might argue that ISIS's attempts to establish a fundamentalist caliphate in the region is simply following Israel's bloody historical precedent. Or is your point that acknowledging the Palestinian people were treated shoddily and harshly, by proto-Israel and the International community at the time, and to some extent still are, means that must be, and therefore is, the same as starting from the position that making a Jewish state was/is unacceptable? I ask you this because your posting seems to cover both points. On short, are you arguing on behalf of Israel and the actions taken against the Palestinian people at the time, or just against those who have recognised that action as an historical injustice?

If you chose to reply to this post I'd ask you to do me the courtesy of replying to the paragraphs rather than fisking it by the sub-clause.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:35 am

If you take an objective look at the history of the founding of Israel, then it is inevitable that you would recognise the injustice to the Palestinians that occurred as part of that process.

Some on the left, however, take from that a dogmatic insistence that the state of Israel is utterly illegitimate, and that the only solution is its complete dismantling. This is fantasy land stuff, and locking yourself into a position that has zero chance of occurring means no way forward. Arab states, Palestinian activists and all those with a political interest in the area need to recognise this, and start with a basis that there will be a state of Israel, but that the Israeli government needs to drastically change its treatment of its Arab citizens, and negotiate a 2 state solution with compromises on both sides.

Automatic support from the US of all conservative Israeli political positions simply hardens the attitude of that government, and delays the possibility of any solution.
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:14 am

Forty Two wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:37 am
Hermit wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:57 pm
Because there wasn't. [...]

The reason I bring it up is that the only difference between Israel being a perfectly fine, yet arbitrarily delineated, State just like Jordan, Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, etc., is that it's Jewish, not Muslim. That's the only reason people are bitching about it.
That is not what we are bitching about. At least not I. I bitch about the squeezing out of the Palestinians. No, you can't blame it on the Palestinians themselves, or the 1948 Israeli- Palestinian war. The fighting started long before that. Three Jewish terrorist organisations, Haganah, Irgun and Lehi were founded in 1921, 1931 and 1940 respectively with the explicit aim to create a Jewish Lebensraum. I mentioned them at least twice before, which you ignored both times.

If you want to look for British culpability, you'll find it where they promised the same plot of land to the Arabs in a series of ten letters between Hussein bin Ali, Sharif of Mecca, and Lieutenant Colonel Sir Henry McMahon, British High Commissioner to Egypt in 1915 and 1916, and to the Jews by Lord Balfour in 1917. Both promises were made in exchange for military support against the Ottoman empire.

Don't bother bringing up the flags depicted in the cartoon. Their presence has already been explained to you as well. Twice. And yes, you ignored those two mentions twice as well.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:32 am

JimC wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:35 am
Some on the left, however, take from that a dogmatic insistence that the state of Israel is utterly illegitimate, and that the only solution is its complete dismantling.
Where are these people? I've never heard from a single person who wants the state dismantled. Well, perhaps Svarty does, but he's French.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:49 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:32 am
JimC wrote:
Some on the left, however, take from that a dogmatic insistence that the state of Israel is utterly illegitimate, and that the only solution is its complete dismantling.
Where are these people? I've never heard from a single person who wants the state dismantled. Well, perhaps Svarty does, but he's French.
mistermack, although I concede he's not exactly on the left...

But it is a theme on opinion pieces I have read... no compromise, Israel must go. And Iran would not disagree...

Having identified one end of the spectrum, of course there is the other - nothing Israel does is wrong, all the rag heads and marxist opposition are ISIS inspired...
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:27 am

pErvinalia wrote:
JimC wrote:
I don't want the place dismantled, I just want to give it back to the Palestinians once the Jews have been relocated to Siberia where they belong.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:31 am

Svartalf wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:27 am
pErvinalia wrote:
JimC wrote:
I don't want the place dismantled, I just want to give it back to the Palestinians once the Jews have been relocated to Siberia where they belong.
See, rEv, the extreme Stalinist left like Svarty!
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:36 am

The Great Joseph gave Land to the Jews, and now it's nearly empty, the ingratitude of those people knows no bounds.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:16 pm

:shifty: It's gone very quiet....

.... too quiet.... :shifty:

Frank Zappa