Change the name of Israel

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Change the name of Israel

Post by Forty Two » Tue May 22, 2018 5:13 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:10 am
Forty Two wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:44 pm
For some reason, when a Republican President is in office, UN auspices are a matter of international law and must be followed, because the UN has the final warmaking powers.
A Republican president has nothing to do with criticism of Israel. Stop being so ridiculously partisan. Israel has been criticised continually for many decades. And rightly so.
Don't comment if you're not even going to try to read the post and understand it.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Tue May 22, 2018 6:53 pm

Animavore wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:05 pm
Strontium Dog wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:56 pm
Animavore wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:06 am
Colonialist, superiority bullshit. The feckless savages need to be tamed. Yadda. Yadda. Heard it all before.
So you're denying the Islamist nature of the Palestinian territories? Or you don't think it matters?
I think it's no business of Israel, Britain, or the US how Palestine wants to run its own country. It's up to them to find their own way without subjugation or force.

Hundreds of years of colonising, oppressing, and enslaving people and some of you Brits still haven't learnt a damn thing.
But Palestine isn't a democracy, so the Palestinian people aren't getting to decide how they run their own country.

And anyway, that wasn't my point, it was a comment on how a secular democracy with Western-style human rights is inherently superior to a theocratic dictatorship.

And less of the "you Brits" stuff, I will remind you that I am (almost) a dual British/Irish national.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue May 22, 2018 7:57 pm

Hmmm. Seems a pretty hard list to avoid them all.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 23, 2018 12:02 pm

I'm glad someone posted a list of companies with which I should prefer to do business. It's a nice handy chart.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:57 pm

UN says Israel's killings at Gaza protests may amount to war crimes
UN investigators have accused Israeli soldiers of intentionally firing on civilians and said they may have committed war crimes in their lethal response to Palestinian demonstrations in Gaza.

The independent Commission of Inquiry, set up last year by the UN’s human rights council, said Israeli forces killed 189 people and shot more than 6,100 others with live ammunition near the fence that divides the two territories.

The panel said in a statement that it had found “reasonable grounds to believe that Israeli snipers shot at journalists, health workers, children and persons with disabilities, knowing they were clearly recognisable as such”...
OHCHR Statement: https://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/HRC/P ... 6&LangID=E
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:24 pm

I can't believe that a UN council including human rights luminaries like Saudi Arabia, China, Cuba, Qatar, Bahrain and Somalia has seen fit to censure Israel.

Oh wait, yes I can.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:26 pm

Whataboutism isn't just for Trump supporters.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:31 pm

304 people died in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict last year.

25,705 died in Saudi Arabia's intervention in Yemen last year.

Where is the UNHRC's report into Saudi Arabia?

There are 1 million Muslims in concentration camps in China.

Where is the UNHRC's report into China?

Sick of scumbags and their agendas.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:38 pm

This is not a thread about them. I think we already have one on Saudi Arabia. You're free to start one on China because I think that's pretty shitty.

But none of this takes away from Israel's crimes. Their crimes are their own. No one else's.

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:47 pm

I'm not opposed to Israel being called out for its crimes. I'm opposed to it being singled out.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:40 pm

well the only solution is to nuke the near and middle east from orbit, elsewise we won't be sure.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:40 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:57 pm
UN says Israel's killings at Gaza protests may amount to war crimes
UN investigators have accused Israeli soldiers of intentionally firing on civilians and said they may have committed war crimes in their lethal response to Palestinian demonstrations in Gaza.

The independent Commission of Inquiry, set up last year by the UN’s human rights council, said Israeli forces killed 189 people and shot more than 6,100 others with live ammunition near the fence that divides the two territories.

The panel said in a statement that it had found “reasonable grounds to believe that Israeli snipers shot at journalists, health workers, children and persons with disabilities, knowing they were clearly recognisable as such”...
OHCHR Statement: https://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/HRC/P ... 6&LangID=E
What a bunch of anti-semites!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:41 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:31 pm
304 people died in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict last year.

25,705 died in Saudi Arabia's intervention in Yemen last year.

Where is the UNHRC's report into Saudi Arabia?

There are 1 million Muslims in concentration camps in China.

Where is the UNHRC's report into China?

Sick of scumbags and their agendas.
The whataboutism is strong in this one.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:23 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:41 pm
The whataboutism is strong in this one.
Congratulations on missing the actual argument, yet again.

You're an Aussie, so here's an analogy for you.

You're the manager of a supermarket. Your supermarket is frequently targeted by shoplifters. I think you call them shop stealers. Either way, they're thieves.

Most of the thieves are white. A minority are Aborigines.

Now suppose your store detectives are very good and manage to catch lots of the thieves. Wouldn't it be racist if you, as manager, allowed all the white thieves to go free and only prosecuted the blackfellas? Especially if your Aborigines were stealing food, and your white thieves were stealing razors, appliances and other high value goods.

But at the same time, none of this would constitute an argument that indigenous thieves should get off scott free.

I'm not opposed to Israel's excesses being highlighted. I'd just ask for a bit of consistency. And I think anyone is permitted to have a very cynical opinion of those who single out the world's sole Jewish state for criticism. Those who single out Jews should definitely have their motives for doing so questioned.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:17 am

Strontium Dog wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:23 am
I'm not opposed to Israel's excesses being highlighted.
:funny: