US Election 2020

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: US Election 2020

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:15 am

The shameless huckster lawyers behind the legal farce they called the Kraken are going through some things now. Various characters may end up being referred for disbarment by the judge. Pulling a quote from a rather long but entertaining tweet thread:
Many lawyers were in a hole at the start. Some tried to climb up the shoulders of others to get out. They were harmed in these efforts because those people were still digging while the others were climbing.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:33 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:15 am
The shameless huckster lawyers behind the legal farce they called the Kraken are going through some things now. Various characters may end up being referred for disbarment by the judge. Pulling a quote from a rather long but entertaining tweet thread:
Many lawyers were in a hole at the start. Some tried to climb up the shoulders of others to get out. They were harmed in these efforts because those people were still digging while the others were climbing.
Part of the way through the Twitter thread finding an executive summary was a good idea. This one did the job.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:39 am

AP FACT CHECK: Trump makes false claims about Arizona audit
AP ^ | July 17, 2021 | JONATHAN J. COOPER
Posted on 7/18/2021, 6:35:48 AM by where's_the_Outrage?

PHOENIX (AP) — Former President Donald Trump issued three statements in two days falsely claiming that voting fraud and irregularities cost him Arizona's electoral votes....

TRUMP: “168,000 fraudulent ballots printed on illegal paper (unofficial ballots)”

THE FACTS: All of that is false. The ballots were not unofficial or printed on illegal paper, and even Logan never alleged they were fraudulent....

TRUMP, citing “74,000 mail in ballots received that were never mailed (magically appearing ballots)."

THE FACTS: No, there were no magically appearing ballots. He is alleging that the number of filled-out ballots received in the mail by election officials exceeded the number of people who had asked earlier for mail-in ballots, by 74,000. But that's not at all what happened.....

TRUMP, claiming “11,000 voters were added to the voter rolls AFTER the election and still voted."

THE FACTS: There's nothing untoward about voters rolls growing after Election Day. The rolls are simply updated to reflect people whose provisional ballots are added to the tally after election officials verify that they were eligible to vote....

TRUMP, alleging “all the access logs to the machines were wiped, and the election server was hacked during the election.”

THE FACTS: That flies in the face of the evidence. Maricopa County's election server is not connected to the internet and independent auditors found no evidence the election server was hacked.....

TRUMP: “Arizona shows Fraud and Voting Irregularities many times more than would be needed to change the outcome of the Election.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgntp

THE FACTS: Not so. The number of potential fraud cases is far smaller than President Joe Biden's margin of victory in Arizona.

An estimate of votes that are still somewhat under scrutiny: 200.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:08 pm

The 74 000 magical ballots had no envelopes because they were not mailed ballots. They were early votes. They were lumped in with mail votes of the same period.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:54 am

The facts about voting fraud in this election:

'Sparse Voter-Fraud Cases Undercut Claims of Widespread Abuses'
Prosecutors across the country found evidence of voter fraud compelling enough to take to court about 200 times since the November 2018 elections, according to a 50-state Bloomberg canvass of state officials.

Republican and Democratic election and law enforcement officials contacted in 23 of the states were unable to point to any criminal voting fraud prosecutions since the November 2018 midterm elections.

Despite the escalating claims from former President Donald Trump of rampant misdeeds, nearly all of the instances found by state officials were insignificant infractions during a timeframe when hundreds of millions of people participated in thousands of elections around the country. Yet, misinformation about the topic has become a driving force of political debate.

Fabricated claims of fraud damages confidence in elections and can encourage partisans to demand that vote totals be changed to the outcome they want, said Edward Foley, an Ohio State University Moritz College of Law professor who studies disputed elections.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:48 am

I'd be interested to know the party splits on the convicted fraud cases. Who were the fraudsters trying to vote for?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:05 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:48 am
I'd be interested to know the party splits on the convicted fraud cases. Who were the fraudsters trying to vote for?
The right wing policy goons Heritage Foundation have a handy voting fraud database, but they don't include party affiliation in their search parameters because they don't list that information.

I can say that nearly all of the cases of voting fraud that I've come across in the news have been Republican voters. That may be because the news is leftist propaganda, or it may be an indication that Republican voters engage in voting fraud to a greater extent than Democratic voters. You'd think that the Heritage Foundation would be enthusiastic about noting the party affiliation of fraudulent voters if there were more Democratic voters in that number than Republican voters.
Last edited by L'Emmerdeur on Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:11 am

Maricopa County in Arizona is urging the swivel-eyed nutbars who've pushed the sham audit circus to quit playing around.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:58 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:11 am
Maricopa County in Arizona is urging the swivel-eyed nutbars who've pushed the sham audit circus to quit playing around.

Maricopa County letter.jpg
:fix:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:26 pm

BUY MORE PILLOWS!!!

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:26 am

Lindell is going to need a lot of pillows to deal with the butthurt. There must be some way to '4-D chess!!' this, but I'll leave that to those who are better equipped for the task. From one of his hand-picked 'cyber guys':

'Cyber expert says his team can’t prove Mike Lindell’s claims that China hacked election'
The cyber expert on the “red team” hired by MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell now says the key data underpinning the theory that China hacked the 2020 election unveiled at the Cyber Symposium is illegitimate.

Mr. Lindell said he had 37 terabytes of “irrefutable” evidence that hackers, who he said were backed by China, broke into election systems and switched votes in favor of President Biden. The proof, he said, is visible in intercepted network data or “packet captures” that were collected by hackers and could be unencrypted to reveal that a cyberattack occurred and that votes were switched.

But cyber expert Josh Merritt, who is on the team hired by Mr. Lindell to interrogate the data for the symposium, told The Washington Times that packet captures are unrecoverable in the data and that the data, as provided, cannot prove a cyber incursion by China.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:50 am

Are we just going to pretend it's normal to be hearing so much about an election from a crazed pillow salesman? Who's profiting from turning the country into a "reality" show, and can we do anything about it?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:02 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:26 am
Lindell is going to need a lot of pillows to deal with the butthurt.
:lol:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:23 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:50 am
Are we just going to pretend it's normal to be hearing so much about an election from a crazed pillow salesman? Who's profiting from turning the country into a "reality" show, and can we do anything about it?
American politics has historically included circus side-show elements. Due to the changing mass media environment Lindell and his ilk get more publicity than they would have previously, and Trumpists who desperately want his nonsense to be true help carry it along.

Call me a pessimist, but I think that any attempts to do something about it are likely to fail: Constant vilification of mainstream media (noting how the local Trumpist beats that drum on a nearly daily basis) will see to that.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:24 pm

On the voting fraud front:

'Another GOP voter caught casting a ballot for a dead relative'
In the wake of Donald Trump's defeat last fall, Republicans launched a desperate search for illegally cast ballots to help justify the GOP's conspiracy theories. But as regular readers know, despite all the hysterical rhetoric, only a handful of legitimate allegations have been raised -- and some of the most notable examples involve Republicans casting illegal ballots on behalf of dead relatives.

Take Pennsylvania's Robert Richard Lynn, for example. The Times Leader in Wilkes-Barre reported yesterday:
A man from Forty Fort said he used "poor judgement" and regrets using his deceased mother's name on an application for an absentee ballot for the 2020 presidential election. Robert Richard Lynn, 68, of Center Street, pleaded guilty to a third-degree misdemeanor charge of violations relating to absentee or mail-in ballots during a court proceeding before Luzerne County Judge Michael T. Vough on Monday.
The recent pattern is pretty amazing. Revisiting our earlier coverage, we learned in May, for example, about Pennsylvania's Bruce Bartman, who cast an absentee ballot in support of Trump for his mother -- who died in 2008. Bartman pleaded guilty to unlawful voting, conceded he "listened to too much propaganda," and was sentenced to five years' probation.

About a month later, Edward Snodgrass, a local Republican official in Ohio, admitted to forging his dead father's signature on an absentee ballot and then voting again as himself. NBC News noted at the time that Snodgrass struck a deal with prosecutors and was sentenced to three days in jail and a $500 fine.

This new example is notable in part because of the amount of effort the Republican voter in Pennsylvania invested in his scheme. This guy used a typewriter to complete an absentee ballot application -- pretending to be his deceased mother, Lynn claimed to be "visiting great grand kids" around the time of the election -- before signing the dead woman's name.

It wasn't long before election officials flagged the ballot, when a database showed that the voter in question died six years ago.

The defendant faced up to two years behind bars. He instead received a sentence of six months' probation.

As we've discussed, there are a handful of ways to look at incidents like these. My first thought is of Crystal Mason, who cast a provisional ballot in the 2016 while on supervised release for a federal conviction. She didn't know she was ineligible to vote, and her ballot was never counted, but Mason -- a Black woman -- was convicted of illegal voting and sentenced to five years in prison.

It's hard not to notice that White men like Robert Richard Lynn, Edward Snodgrass, and Bruce Bartman received vastly more lenient sentences, despite the fact that they knowingly hatched schemes to cast illegal ballots on behalf of dead relatives.