US Election 2020

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: US Election 2020

Post by Hermit » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:55 pm

Cunt wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:22 pm
If that was a 'failed riot', are there successful ones implied? :tea:
Several governments behind the iron curtain were brought down by rioters.

Here is one example.

East German police try to prevent demonstrators from moving toward the East German parliament Oct. 7. 1989. The Berlin Wall came down two days later.

The end of the East German government did not come about as peacefully as the news media made it appear.

There are others.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:12 pm

As anti-government protesters demonstrated in Timișoara in December 1989, [Ceaușescu] perceived the demonstrations as a political threat and ordered military forces to open fire on 17 December, causing many deaths and injuries. The revelation that Ceaușescu was responsible resulted in a massive spread of rioting and civil unrest across the country. The demonstrations, which reached Bucharest, became known as the Romanian Revolution—the only violent overthrow of a communist government in the course of the Revolutions of 1989. Ceaușescu and his wife Elena fled the capital in a helicopter, but they were captured by the military after the armed forces defected. After being tried and convicted of economic sabotage and genocide, they were immediately executed by firing squad on 25 December and Ceaușescu was succeeded as President by Ion Iliescu, who had played a major part in the revolution. Capital punishment was abolished shortly thereafter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolae_Ceau%C8%99escu
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:08 am

A relatively mild civic disturbance compared to those dreadful BLMs and antifas. Except for planned attacks on police, planned abductions, and assorted other escapades. There's an out for the moment in the second paragraph quoted below.

'Gallows or guillotines? The chilling debate on TheDonald.win before the Capitol siege.'
In the weeks before supporters of then-President Donald Trump assaulted the U.S. Capitol, TheDonald.win forum commenters debated how best to build a gallows for hanging -- or simply terrifying -- members of Congress deemed disloyal. What kind of lumber? What kind of rope? And how many nooses?

Cached versions of the comments on the now-defunct site show the chilling precision and pragmatism of the advanced planning for an assault whose reverberations are still shaking Washington, with a hearing Thursday expected to turn a harsh light on operational missteps by the Capitol Police. Comments on TheDonald.win were made using pseudonyms, and it is unknown whether any of the commenters are among the more than 300 people who have been charged in the siege.

The comments in the report demonstrate the central role played by TheDonald.win, one of the most prominent online sites dedicated to supporting the former president, said Daniel J. Jones, a former FBI analyst and former Senate investigator who is now president of Advance Democracy.

“The website, TheDonald, played a far more central role in the January 6th Capitol insurrection than was previously known,” he said. “There are thousands of posts — with tens of thousands of comments — detailing plans to travel to Washington and engage in violence against the U.S. Capitol. The ultimate end goal of this violence was, on behalf of Trump, disrupt the Congress and overturn the presidential election.”

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:11 pm

In regard to the gallows building discussion, to me it suggests a certain lack of contact with reality. These people are nasty fantasists; it still should be treated as a criminal conspiracy, but there was no chance they could have put their fantasies into achievable actions.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:30 pm

How did we get an Irish president with all the Anglo Saxons running things? Must be voter fraud.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:36 pm

The 'Oath Keepers' member who's turning state's evidence has apparently been offered a spot in the witness protection program. Seems like he'd be well advised to take it.

'Why Trump loyalists should fear the first Capitol riot confession'
On Friday, we learned of the first publicly entered guilty plea from among the over 400 people charged in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot. A guilty plea in such a sweeping and high-profile investigation is significant on its own. But when sealed documents in the case accidentally became visible in the federal court’s automated records system, it became clear that there is more to this plea than a defendant simply admitting his guilt.

The guilty plea contains a provision requiring the defendant Jon Ryan Schaffer — who admitted to the court that he was a “founding lifetime member” of the far-right, anti-government extremist militia group known as the Oath Keepers — to cooperate with the government. That means a long-time Oath Keepers veteran has been "flipped."

This only happens when prosecutors care more about the information a defendant can provide than about nailing him with a maximum sentence. There are at least three reasons why this guilty plea, in this investigation, from this defendant, may become the gift that keeps on giving as prosecutors seek to hold accountable those responsible for the attack on our democracy.

First, this particular defendant, who is also reportedly the front-runner of the heavy metal band “Iced Earth,” is well positioned to tell the feds a whole lot about the Oath Keepers. At least 12 of the group’s members are facing conspiracy or other charges in connection with the Jan. 6 attack.

Second, Shaffer could shed light on another aspect of the far-reaching investigation: the potential coordination of the riot planning between the Oath Keepers and other similar groups, including the Proud Boys. As reported by Pete Williams and Rebecca Shabad of NBC News on another case, a person of interest "was in contact with similar groups, including the Proud Boys, as early as mid-December to plan for potentially violent action in Washington on Jan. 6, according to a newly filed court document.”

Third, Shaffer may have insights into who around then-president Donald Trump, including Trump’s advisers and his sycophants in Congress, might have coordinated or knew of plans for the Jan. 6 violence.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon May 10, 2021 7:39 am

An article looking at the machinations of Russel Ramsland Jr, a huckster who provided the notional bodily fluids which coursed through the fantastical innards of the Powell's kraken. A longish read.

'The making of a myth'
Key elements of the baseless claim that the 2020 election was stolen from President Donald Trump took shape in an airplane hangar [in Addison, Texas] two years earlier, promoted by a Republican businessman who has sold everything from Tex-Mex food in London to a wellness technology that beams light into the human bloodstream.

At meetings beginning late in 2018, as Republicans were smarting from midterm losses in Texas and across the country, Russell J. Ramsland Jr. and his associates delivered alarming presentations on electronic voting to a procession of conservative lawmakers, activists and donors.

Briefings in the hangar had a clandestine air. Guests were asked to leave their cellphones outside before assembling in a windowless room. A member of Ramsland’s team purporting to be a “white-hat hacker” identified himself only by a code name.

Ramsland, a failed congressional candidate with a Harvard MBA, pitched a claim that seemed rooted in evidence: Voting-machine audit logs — lines of codes and time stamps that document the machines’ activities — contained indications of vote manipulation. In the retrofitted hangar that served as his company’s offices at the edge of a municipal airstrip outside Dallas, Ramsland attempted to persuade failed Republican candidates to challenge their election results and force the release of additional data that might prove manipulation.

“We had to find the right candidate,” said Laura Pressley, a former Ramsland ally whose own claim that audit logs showed fraud had been rejected in court two years earlier. “We had to find one who knew they won.”

He made the pitch to Don Huffines, a state senator in Texas. Huffines declined.

He tried to persuade U.S. Rep. Pete Sessions (R-Tex.). Sessions declined.

No candidate agreed to bring a challenge, and the idea of widespread vote manipulation remained on the political fringe — until 2020, when Ramsland’s assertions were seized upon by influential allies of Trump. The president himself accelerated the spread of those claims into the GOP mainstream as he latched onto an array of baseless ideas to explain his loss in November.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon May 10, 2021 9:05 am

"A failed congressional candidate with a Harvard MBA" eh? Definitely one of the people then.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon May 31, 2021 4:29 am

The darling of QAnon and Trumpists advocating a military coup to correct the horrible injustice of the 2020 US presidential election (not for the first time).

'Former Trump advisor Michael Flynn said the US should have a coup like Myanmar, where the military overthrew the democratically elected government'
Michael Flynn, who served as President Donald Trump's national security adviser, told a crowd at a QAnon conference in Dallas, Texas, this weekend that the US should have a coup like the one in Myanmar.

Flynn, who has become a prominent figure in the QAnon conspiracy theory, was a main attraction at the event, held at the Omni Hotel in Dallas.

In a video shared on Twitter, an attendee asks Flynn: "I want to know why what happened in Myanmar can't happen here."

The crowd immediately cheers, followed by Flynn's response: "No reason. I mean, it should happen here."

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon May 31, 2021 5:03 am

Surely that is treasonable speech, advocating the violent overthrow of the US government.

Lock him up!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon May 31, 2021 6:18 am

More likely the FBI or NSA or some branch of 'Homeland Security' will get a secret warrant and collect all of his communications. If I were in that world, I'd try to not be in direct contact with him.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon May 31, 2021 7:17 am

He speaks like he's just done a line of coke.

Frank Zappa

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon May 31, 2021 7:32 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:36 pm
The 'Oath Keepers' member who's turning state's evidence has apparently been offered a spot in the witness protection program. Seems like he'd be well advised to take it.
A Deep State Operative, no doubt.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon May 31, 2021 7:37 am

Did their oath mean nothing to them?

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon May 31, 2021 8:15 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 4:29 am
The darling of QAnon and Trumpists advocating a military coup to correct the horrible injustice of the 2020 US presidential election (not for the first time).

'Former Trump advisor Michael Flynn said the US should have a coup like Myanmar, where the military overthrew the democratically elected government'
Michael Flynn, who served as President Donald Trump's national security adviser, told a crowd at a QAnon conference in Dallas, Texas, this weekend that the US should have a coup like the one in Myanmar.

Flynn, who has become a prominent figure in the QAnon conspiracy theory, was a main attraction at the event, held at the Omni Hotel in Dallas.

In a video shared on Twitter, an attendee asks Flynn: "I want to know why what happened in Myanmar can't happen here."

The crowd immediately cheers, followed by Flynn's response: "No reason. I mean, it should happen here."
No this is wrong. Trumpists are liberal and support freedom. Like Cunt.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.