All Things Trump

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: All Things Trump

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:25 am

Now he's saying he's 100% behind stopping his adminisyrations practice of caging toddlers like livestock but it's down to lawmakers to draft and approve a whole new set of immigration laws. Until they do that his hands are tied, apparently.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:05 am

Bollocks. He is just blaming the Democrats.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:11 am

tattuchu wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:42 am
pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:47 am
This stuff isn't important. What's important is that economic output is up, the gambling, sorry, I mean the stock market is up, and there's less people not working 1 hour a week. These are the important things. Overflowing the swamp, cosying up with dictators, and locking up innocent children are just not important.
And Hillary. Don't forget Hillary! :prof:
Have we locked that bitch up yet??
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:51 am

Republicans are blaming Bill Clinton for immigration law
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Young
Wrote it, working in the Gingrich era. Pants down Bill just signed it.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:44 pm

Trump to sign executuve order! An order to cancel the order he gave to Sessions himself:
The separations stem from the administration's "zero tolerance" immigration policy, which aims to prosecute all illegal border crossers.
:funny:

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:59 pm

Tero wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:44 pm
Trump to sign executuve order! An order to cancel the order he gave to Sessions himself:
The separations stem from the administration's "zero tolerance" immigration policy, which aims to prosecute all illegal border crossers.
:funny:
That's accurate. Because what happens is that people drag their kids across the border, and/or other people's kids in some cases, and when they get picked up and processed, in order to prosecute the adult, the adult has to be arrested. If the adult contests the case, they can't rightly hold the child in jail, so they have to move the child to a detention center or place the child with a family. The former practice was to let the adult out of jail with a court appearance notice, and then the illegal immigrant would be let go into the US and they would often disappear into the communities, never to appear for court and almost impossible to find.

By adopting the zero tolerance policy, they were trying to send the message to all illegal immigrants that bringing a kid with you doesn't get you let out into the community - it was a free pass.

That being said, the policy was politically ill-advised, and quite ill-advised from a standpoint of the health and well-being of the children involved, and they should have done something else.

While this is really being overblown, and most of the detentions are temporary, it still was a stupid policy. I think Trump saw an opportunity here to twist legislative arms and to get them to put together a comprehensive immigration reform bill. He misjudged, stupidly, the problem this zero tolerance thing would create.

When dealing with children, the reasons don't matter. It doesn't matter that the parents are the ones creating the situation by trekking their kids through the desert and endangering them in order to break the law and enter the US without inspection. It doesn't matter that refugees and asylum seekers can make those applications at any border crossing. It doesn't matter that the Obama administration used similar "cages" to house detainees, including children, and that the living conditions look awful to anyone who hasn't grown up in a South American slum. None of that matters - you're arresting an illegal border crosser and putting scared-shitless elementary school age kids in detention centers away from their parents, many of whom were probably crying themselves to sleep. One would have to be very cold indeed not to sympathize.

There must be a better way. But, unfortunately, there is no will to do anything about the immigration problem in Congress, whether Democrat or Republican. Trump's actions here were typical Trump - hope to create enough pain and discomfort in Congress that they are forced to act and overhaul the process. But, he's losing this one - as he's the one getting the blame, and he had no plausible case to blame this on anything but the zero tolerance policy. So, he really just needs to take the loss and change the policy.

Maybe there is a way to detain the entire family together. I mean, there is that rule that - the Flores rule - that says that they cannot detain children for longer than X days, which means that they either have to separate the family, or free the offender. If they can get that legislated over, then they can set up a detention center and give illegal immigrants the choice (a) stay in a detention center while your case is processed, with your family, or (b) go back home.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:43 pm

So you think Trump shouldn't sign the order to stop government officials separating children from their parents at the border?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:03 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:43 pm
So you think Trump shouldn't sign the order to stop government officials separating children from their parents at the border?
I didn't read 42's post that way - he's saying that there needs to be a technical change to the law, and that parents and kids should be detained together...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:19 pm

I might accept that when I see evidence that crossing the border with children was, until the recent change in policy, a de facto 'free pass' to 'disappear into the community'.

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:31 pm

Frank Zappa

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:37 am

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:59 pm
While this is really being overblown,
I'm sure NSDAP supporters said that about Kristallnacht.
I think Trump saw an opportunity here to twist legislative arms and to get them to put together a comprehensive immigration reform bill.
He did it because HE IS A CALLOUS, MONSTROUS, CRUEL LUMP OF DOG EXCREMENT.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:40 am

One day you'll let us know what you really think of Trump, Seabass... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:45 am

HThe fucking lying liars
https://www.npr.org/2018/06/20/62187607 ... e-believed
Trump is further down:
More important is that the media and the public register a fundamental fact: Top people speaking for the United States aren't telling us the truth — starting with the president.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:48 am

People complaining about illegal child migrants don't want to show what’s happening in Congress, where the Democrats want to open the borders and let everybody pour in because they put immigrants before American citizens. What the hell is going on with that?

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:54 am

Who ever tells the truth in America? It is all propaganda. Manoeuvring public opinion. Trump only thinks of one thing and that is Trump. He is a bully. He cant negotiate as he is not clever enough so he does the only thing he knows; crank up the chaos, blame everyone and just pour the oil on the fire and stands back and see what is left which is why he flip flops and claims this is what he was trying to achieve all along. If people get hurt in the process that is hard luck so as long there is some benefit for him.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".