Starbucks coffee. Any colour but black.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Starbucks coffee. Any colour but black.

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:03 pm

To take the drastic step of closing all stores for a day, there must have been more going on than this single incident. If that was all there was, Starbucks could simply have apologised, and announced that the manager had been sent to a re-education camp in Death Valley... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:09 pm

Too little too latte :lol:

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:26 pm

mistermack, this post: http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 3#p1763693

contains a clear person al attack on another member. This is a formal warning that any repetition will result in a suspension.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:21 pm

JimC wrote:mistermack, this post: http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 3#p1763693

contains a clear person al attack on another member. This is a formal warning that any repetition will result in a suspension.
A post in which I clearly quoted his personal attack on me in the previous post.
Seems he does have a licence to namecall then.

Instead of running squealing to tug the skirts of the moderators, Rum should take a look at himself for once.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:31 pm

JimC wrote:To take the drastic step of closing all stores for a day, there must have been more going on than this single incident. If that was all there was, Starbucks could simply have apologised, and announced that the manager had been sent to a re-education camp in Death Valley... :tea:
I don't think that follows.
Their decision is a public relations exercise. That's what you do today. You don't argue your corner, you grovel and go over the top with the sack cloth and ashes. In today's climate, it's the only way to hopefully put the story to sleep.
So long as you try to justify it, you are just feeding the frenzy giving them something more to print.

Those guys are quite rightly only interested in the bottom line. And I imagine that Starbucks has a pretty hefty black clientele. The rights and wrongs of the incident don't matter. It's public perception they care about.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:18 am

Strontium Dog wrote:I call shenanigans. Nobody goes to a Dutch coffee shop to drink coffee.
It's a bar, anyway, not a cafe.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:20 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:I'm having groundhog day. I'm sure this exact conversation was had in another thread about coffee.
If lak pops up and says he makes the best coffee with the cheapest beans then we'll know the simulation is caught in a loop.
:lol: And so it came to pass...
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:26 am

mistermack wrote:
JimC wrote:mistermack, this post: http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 3#p1763693

A post in which I clearly quoted his personal attack on me in the previous post.
Seems he does have a licence to namecall then.

Instead of running squealing to tug the skirts of the moderators, Rum should take a look at himself for once.
The mods should suspend everyone. Not sure what happened to this place. Go back and read threads from 5 (and even less) years ago and it was fine to call people shit. Mods, you don't have to automatically ping someone just because they were reported.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:16 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:I call shenanigans. Nobody goes to a Dutch coffee shop to drink coffee.
In Dutch:

A café or kroog is in English a public bar. A coffee shop is a café selling weed, snunk or hash but these days in a separated section of the café for which there is no English equivalent. A snack bar sells (unhealthy) snacks and cans of beer and other soft drinks and has limited seating (McDonald does not sell beer). A coffee bar is Starbucks and there is no other. We have plenty of bistro's.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:47 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:
In Dutch:

A café or kroog is in English a public bar. A coffee shop is a café selling weed, snunk or hash but these days in a separated section of the café for which there is no English equivalent. A snack bar sells (unhealthy) snacks and cans of beer and other soft drinks and has limited seating (McDonald does not sell beer). A coffee bar is Starbucks and there is no other. We have plenty of bistro's.
So where do you go to just have a coffee, with perhaps some small food items (like cakes etc) available as well?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:51 am

Here no all cafés have croissants or chocolate rolls to sell with the coffee ... paradoxically enough, if you want some bastryh with your coffee, you better go to a good bakery.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:04 am

Svartalf wrote:Here no all cafés have croissants or chocolate rolls to sell with the coffee ... paradoxically enough, if you want some bastryh with your coffee, you better go to a good bakery.

The patisseries in France are little pieces of heaven transported down to earth for us to have a little taste of what it is like up there...

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:54 am

Svartalf wrote:Here no all cafés have croissants or chocolate rolls to sell with the coffee ... paradoxically enough, if you want some bastryh with your coffee, you better go to a good bakery.
I like the coffee in France. French coffee and croissants go just right together. Shame you don't get the smell of Gauloises or Citanes wafting around so much. The combination is as French as a sweaty armpit.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:25 pm

well, I'm a bit more critical about French coffee because a) too much robusta, b) French roast is really too much.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:44 pm

Svartalf wrote:well, I'm a bit more critical about French coffee because a) too much robusta, b) French roast is really too much.
If people like it that way, then it's the best. Coffee has no other purpose.

It's the similar argument to Scotch. People think that single malty peaty bollocks is the best because it costs the most. But it only costs the most because it's rare. And it's rare because people generally prefer blended.

The fact that a small number of people are happy to pay silly prices for something doesn't make it the best.
When a big number of people want it, that's the true best.