The Commonwealth Games

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: The Commonwealth Games

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Its a load of shit and a bloody waste of money.
It's no Nijmeegse Vierdaagse, that's for sure.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:50 am

Weren't you trying to claim in another thread that you don't troll other than for humour? I'm pretty sure Scot doesn't find your trolling funny.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:53 am

The main thing is that we're pissing all over England (even if you add Scotland & Wales) in the medal tally, both gold and total. Suck it up, pommie bastards!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:12 am

It's pretty ridiculous really. We are absolutely smashing everyone else. If the other countries don't get their shit together, it's pretty pointless continuing the games. Perhaps they should have a combined team of all the countries other than Oz, UK, Canada and perhaps NZ. Although, eventually India will catch us in the coming decades, like China has caught up to the US and Russia in the Olympics. So maybe we have Oz, UK, Canada, India, and then a rest of the world team.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:14 am

Perhaps NZ + the Pacific Islanders could be an additional combined team.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:26 am

That is why they are a waste of time. They are not a reference to the state of the sport. Winning gold does not mean much. In the old days it was different when everything was amateur but now in the world of professionalism they miss the point. When Liz pops her clogs I think the whole idea of commonwealth will disintegrate.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:58 am

Interestingly, in the only basketball game I've watched in full, both Australia and Canada had none of their NBA players in their team. This made me think of the old rule in the Olympics basketball (before the US Dream Team) where only amateurs could play.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:06 am

That clock I dont think we can turn back. Like rugby the days of amateurs were to me more exciting because all of the unknowns. Now we know what a winning team looks like and is predictable. Mind you NZ was always a professional set up.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:08 am

It's harder to draw the line between professional and amateur these days as there's a lot more professionalism around even though it's nowhere near the level of the NBA, say. But I can't think of an explanation for why neither team had their NBA players there. The NBA season is over, so they should have all been available.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:25 am

Probably not being paid enough. Those guys are mercenaries. :lol:

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:30 pm

pErvinalia wrote:Weren't you trying to claim in another thread that you don't troll other than for humour? I'm pretty sure Scot doesn't find your trolling funny.
Yes, and I haven't trolled here.

In the other thread, I explained that I used the term "generally" to qualify my denial of trolling, because knowing you, I would expect you to try to apply a ridiculously broad definition of "trolling" in an attempt to argue, in some dopey, off-topic, derail argument, that I do, in fact, troll.

Here you are doing just that. I posted a sarcastic piss-take about a sport undertaken in the Netherlands, in response to the assertion by a Netherlander that the Commonwealth Games were super sucky and boring. So, I compared the Commonwealth Games to a "four day walk" celebrated as a sporting event in the Netherlands. How is that trolling?

Also, my joke about the polder system is a direct reference to the days of shit and insult taken by Merkins over hurricane damage, and how idiotic Merkins were to not implement the Dutch system along 4,000 to 5,000 km of coastline....
Last edited by Forty Two on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:32 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:That clock I dont think we can turn back. Like rugby the days of amateurs were to me more exciting because all of the unknowns. Now we know what a winning team looks like and is predictable. Mind you NZ was always a professional set up.
There are still amateur leagues to watch. Why not watch them?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:19 pm

Forty Two wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:Weren't you trying to claim in another thread that you don't troll other than for humour? I'm pretty sure Scot doesn't find your trolling funny.

In the other thread, I explained that I used the term "generally" to qualify my denial of trolling, because knowing you, I would expect you to try to apply a ridiculously broad definition of "trolling" in an attempt to argue, in some dopey, off-topic, derail argument, that I do, in fact, troll.

Here you are doing just that. I posted a sarcastic piss-take about a sport undertaken in the Netherlands, in response to the assertion by a Netherlander that the Commonwealth Games were super sucky and boring. So, I compared the Commonwealth Games to a "four day walk" celebrated as a sporting event in the Netherlands. How is that trolling?

Also, my joke about the polder system is a direct reference to the days of shit and insult taken by Merkins over hurricane damage, and how idiotic Merkins were to not implement the Dutch system along 4,000 to 5,000 km of coastline....
I should have expected this, but I'm still amazed at how you can explain anything away. You repeatedly troll Scot. Everyone can see that.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:21 pm

:bored:

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:30 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Forty Two wrote:

I should have expected this, but I'm still amazed at how you can explain anything away. You repeatedly troll Scot. Everyone can see that.
What's your definition of trolling?

Dude, it's not "trolling" if Dutchy posts comments where he says the Commonwealth Games are boring and stupid and a waste of money, and I sarcastically respond that they're no "Four Day Walk, that's for sure..." Neither is saying "I'm sure Australia has adopted the Dutch polder method of dealing with cyclones."

Fuck the fuck off.