Active shooter?

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Active shooter?

Post by Forty Two » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:Oh, that makes everything seem so much better. :tea:
Oh, in that case, there were 100 school shootings since December.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:23 pm

NineBerry wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Tero wrote:If we can’t remove the mentally ill, then we are stuck temoving the guns.
CNN:
A little less than a year ago, on February 28, 2017, Trump signed a measure nixing a regulation aimed at keeping guns out of the hands of some severely mentally ill people. It's critical to note that it's not at all clear it would have applied to the shooters in Florida nor Las Vegas, and there's no reason to believe it would have stopped the massacre.
Another lie from CNN - Trump did not make it easier for the mentally ill to get guns. https://reason.com/blog/2018/02/15/no-t ... r-for-ment
The text you link to says something different. Trump did make it easier for some mentally ill people (Those on benefits) to get guns.
No, the Trump rule reversed the proposed rule that said that anyone who couldn't manage their finances was by definition mentally ill. The previous rule was absurd, and overbroadly included people who were not mentally ill as mentally ill.
Last edited by Forty Two on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:35 pm

Hey, come on, 42, he eliminated a proposed rule that hadn't taken effect, and which was opposed by both those heinous baby killing alt-right organizations, the NRA and the ACLU, on the grounds that it violated the 2nd's right to keep and bear, and the 4th's guarantee of due process. So this guy got a gun a because a rule that was not in effect when he bought it was eliminated by Trump after he bought it, so it's Trump's fault.

Do try to keep up.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:41 pm

Trump is at fault: Russia, NRA, Putin appreciation club.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:25 pm

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:01 pm

Forty Two wrote:

...What's not going to happen - what is just as bad as the right wingers who refuse to budge an inch on their "right" to carry machine guns and rocket launchers -- is the left's view that the solution must be the confiscation of 300,000,000 guns and the banning of the ability of decent Americans to own and use a useful tool. That is as nonproductive as the "pry from my cold dead hands" dickheads.
I would suggest that this response is actually a straw man, in the sense it would be advocated in its entirety by very, very few Americans in this debate - vastly fewer than the NRA types who would violently oppose even your moderate gun control suggestions. The few that are suggesting it are simply indulging in hyperbole, and would deep-down understand that some sort of complete ban of guns is utterly unrealistic.

There are still plenty of sporting shooters in Oz, people can hunt or target shoot, but our wholesale gun massacres have simply gone away after the Howard era legislation effect. People say "oh but criminals can get guns", and it's certainly true that hard-core crims and bikies can obtain illegal guns, but since they are mostly used to shoot fellow bikies and crims, I say meh...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:40 am

Forty Two wrote:that part about politicians failing us by failing to keep guns out of school -- the responsibility for keeping this asshat out of the school belongs with the administration of the school and the board of education, primarily. There should have been a single point of entry to the school, an ID check, and he would not have been allowed in since he had already been expelled and already been officially banned from the premises. The people primarily at fault are the State and County officials who failed to provide even a modicum of security at the school.
Yes, there is a need to ramp up security in every school in the USA, but don't you see the absurdity of having to do that? What is more, those measures fight symptoms, not causes. What is it with the US gun culture generally? Whence the perceived need to "carry" or keep firearms at home for protection? Because so many people have guns? Is the solution really "more guns"? Turning schools into fortresses? Seems absurd to me.

Snopes has a useful article about school shootings. It breaks down the incidents that have occurred so far this year. There were 17 in total, but only seven qualify for the most restrictive definition, which is firearm attacks during school hours, and two of them resulted in no deaths or injuries. This makes the situation look a lot less alarming, but as an outsider I find the rest rather disturbing just the same. There were three incidents of unintentional gunfire during school hours, for example. WTF are firearms doing on school premises in the first place? I can understand a trained person bringing weapons into classes in order to teach safe handling of them, but how often does that need to happen, and are live rounds necessary for the purpose? Three unintentional discharges of live rounds in six weeks indicates to me that firearms are within school grounds a lot more frequently than warranted.

School shootings really do highlight the absurdity of the gun culture in the US when compared to other regions. By the strictest definition, firearm attacks during school hours, the US, population 330 million had seven of them. In comparison, the European Union, population 508 million, had none by any definition in the same time frame. According to gunviolence.org there were 14 school shootings in the US in 2017. I have not found out how many people were killed and injured. There was one school shooting in the EU in the same year. Nobody was killed or injured.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Post by Galaxian » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:20 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Galaxian wrote:At least 3 eye witnesses know of other shooters. Yet another coincidental drill... Valentine Day massacre?
Who are these extra people and how did they get away with it? Use words not videos.
Why do you revel & glory in ignorance & refuse to be educated? Galaxian knows why... but please explain it to the others.
Brian Peacock wrote:I'm just wondering what about this shooting is of particular interest to Galaxian that wasn't of interests in the other seven US school shootings this year?
This is what I mean :this: It's disgusting how several people here simply have an opinion & no amount of evidence will be examined. That is the definition of a 'bigot' (look it up).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umC0cmR73_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn1-WoU8lEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_mFSweVhGo

Keep mixing the Kool Aid. Remember to add cyanide to stay brain-dead. The amount of religiosity I see on this, supposedly atheist site, is astonishing. You are absolutely convinced that the government & various agencies always have your best interest at heart, and are all above board and scrupulously honest & holy. In short; they are divine! :coffee:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:03 am

(Edit: Reply to 42)

How about 150000 Americans killed by guns since Sandy Hook. Does that stat please you more?

Or..

Since Sandy Hook, nearly 1,000 kids under the age of 12 have died from guns

What is 'overblown' is the minimisation of the issue.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:12 am

Florida Gov. Rick Scott called for FBI Director Christopher Wray to resign Friday in the wake of revelations the bureau ignored a Jan. 5 tip about Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz, who killed 17 when he opened fire on Valentine's Day.

The agency said earlier Thursday in a statement that it received a call in January from a person close to Cruz through its Public Access Line tipline to express concerns about Cruz's erratic behavior and disturbing social media posts.

That tip said that Cruz had a gun, wanted to “kill people” and there was the “potential of him conducting a school shooting.”
I'm not sure if it is the FBI Director that needs to be fired, but Trump needs to fire / demote several FBI agents. How convenient :{D
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:50 am

Tyrannical wrote:
Florida Gov. Rick Scott called for FBI Director Christopher Wray to resign Friday in the wake of revelations the bureau ignored a Jan. 5 tip about Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz, who killed 17 when he opened fire on Valentine's Day.

The agency said earlier Thursday in a statement that it received a call in January from a person close to Cruz through its Public Access Line tipline to express concerns about Cruz's erratic behavior and disturbing social media posts.

That tip said that Cruz had a gun, wanted to “kill people” and there was the “potential of him conducting a school shooting.”
I'm not sure if it is the FBI Director that needs to be fired, but Trump needs to fire / demote several FBI agents. How convenient :{D
Surely they've a computer and some smart algorithm to figure when someone is posting consistently baddass shite?
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:46 pm

Galaxian wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Galaxian wrote:At least 3 eye witnesses know of other shooters. Yet another coincidental drill... Valentine Day massacre?
Who are these extra people and how did they get away with it? Use words not videos.
Why do you revel & glory in ignorance & refuse to be educated? Galaxian knows why... but please explain it to the others.
Perhaps because I am profoundly deaf/blind and videos aren't accessible to me.
Brian Peacock wrote:I'm just wondering what about this shooting is of particular interest to Galaxian that wasn't of interests in the other seven US school shootings this year?
This is what I mean :this: It's disgusting how several people here simply have an opinion & no amount of evidence will be examined. That is the definition of a 'bigot' (look it up).
Or you could just answer the question.

Keep mixing the Kool Aid. Remember to add cyanide to stay brain-dead. The amount of religiosity I see on this, supposedly atheist site, is astonishing. You are absolutely convinced that the government & various agencies always have your best interest at heart, and are all above board and scrupulously honest & holy. In short; they are divine! :coffee:
Someone's not getting any.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:46 pm

We had rifles in the schools in the sixties.The air and army cadets used to come and target practice at the firing range in the crawl space. Now you can't access the target area any more because of the lead in the soil.
I used to bring my shotgun to school during the hunting season, keep it in my locker, and after school I'd hitchhike with a couple of friends to go hunting outside the city limits. Would that be possible now? Would anybody pick up three teenaged boys carrying shotguns while hitchiking along a street? Or would anybody look askance at a kid with a twevegauge in his locker? The people are so fucked up nowadays! We never even thought of shooting anyone.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:53 pm

You live in a very violent society.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:08 pm

Woodbutcher, it was not possible to shoot 17 students with that musket you brought to school.