Trump and Russia; Spasiba, Harasho!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Trump and Russia; Spasiba, Harasho!

Post by Forty Two » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:25 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:49 am
Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:17 pm
Mueller's investigation isn't about 'collusion' btw.
"ties and/or coordination" is specifically mentioned in the Mandate. And Rosenstein specifically authorized Mueller to investigate "collusion." https://www.washingtonpost.com/apps/g/p ... id=a_mcntx
A charitable reading of Mueller's mandate from the DOJ would be that it contains an affirmation that the investigation can encompass the Trump campaign if needed - whereas Trump and chums have decided to make the investigation all about Trump, and to a great extent they have succeeded in doing so.
Investigation into "ties and/or coordination" between the Russian Government and members of the Trump campaign is, literally, the primary - item (1) - thing Mueller is tasked with investigating. https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-relea ... 1/download Reading that, how could Trump and chums not think it's about nailing them? And, that's all that's been talked about in the news media for 2 years now. It's not some neutral commission just looking into Russian interference, and if it just so happens that someone from any campaign, whether Trump, Hillary, Bernie, Green Party, whatever,, then they'll prosecute that. If it had little if anything to do with Trump, why mention him specifically over any of the other candidates?

Brian Peacock wrote:
What Americans should be asking is why so many people are working so tirelessly to delegitimise an ongoing investigation into the compromising of US democratic processes by a foreign power.
Because the investigation is a criminal investation looking into whether the President or anyone on his campaign committed crimes. It's not a 2016 Russia Interference Commission, neutrally looking into all ways in which Russia interfered. If it was, why has Mueller not looked into the servers and computers that were supposedly "hacked" by the Russians? Wouldn't that major illegal hacking into the DNC computers be front-and-center in the investigation? And, why would there be no looking into the Bernie Sanders campaign since some of the Russian social media posts/advertisements were pro-Bernie? https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/us/p ... ebook.html

I agree with those who say that what should have happened is that we should have had a 9/11 Commission-style independent investigation into Russian interference, where there was bipartisan representation on the committee, looking into Russian interference in general. But, instead, this is a Special Counsel tasked with a criminal investigation, specifically into ties and coordination (and collusion) involving Trump campaign people.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:01 pm

Ahem
Guccifer 2.0, the “lone hacker” who took credit for providing WikiLeaks with stolen emails from the Democratic National Committee, was in fact an officer of Russia’s military intelligence directorate (GRU), The Daily Beast has learned.

The Daily Beast has learned that the special counsel ... Robert Mueller, has taken over the probe into Guccifer and brought the FBI agents who worked to track the persona onto his team.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:06 pm

Indeed, one would think that we'd see an indictment of the known Russian hacker. However, at present, the forensics and investigation only state the conclusions about Guccifer 2.0 as "possibilities" and "likely." Crowdstrike and Thomas Rid both refer to it as "more likely than not..." that it's Russian intelligence.

And, nobody has subpoenaed the Clinton campaign for depositions, for inspection of computers, inspection of servers, etc., which would allow a forensic analysis of the hack, how it occurred, and to obtain solid proof. I find that odd.

That being said, as I've said many times, I am in favor of an investigation, but what would make sense is a 9/11 Commission style investigation into Russian activities, and not a Special Counsel criminal investigation directed to find ties and coordination with the Trump campaign. That puts the cart before the horse, IMO.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:44 am

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:25 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:17 pm
Mueller's investigation isn't about 'collusion' btw.
"ties and/or coordination" is specifically mentioned in the Mandate. And Rosenstein specifically authorized Mueller to investigate "collusion." https://www.washingtonpost.com/apps/g/p ... id=a_mcntx
A charitable reading of Mueller's mandate from the DOJ would be that it contains an affirmation that the investigation can encompass the Trump campaign if needed - whereas Trump and chums have decided to make the investigation all about Trump, and to a great extent they have succeeded in doing so.
Investigation into "ties and/or coordination" between the Russian Government and members of the Trump campaign is, literally, the primary - item (1) - thing Mueller is tasked with investigating. https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-relea ... 1/download Reading that, how could Trump and chums not think it's about nailing them? And, that's all that's been talked about in the news media for 2 years now. It's not some neutral commission just looking into Russian interference, and if it just so happens that someone from any campaign, whether Trump, Hillary, Bernie, Green Party, whatever,, then they'll prosecute that. If it had little if anything to do with Trump, why mention him specifically over any of the other candidates?

Brian Peacock wrote:
What Americans should be asking is why so many people are working so tirelessly to delegitimise an ongoing investigation into the compromising of US democratic processes by a foreign power.
Because the investigation is a criminal investation looking into whether the President or anyone on his campaign committed crimes. It's not a 2016 Russia Interference Commission, neutrally looking into all ways in which Russia interfered. If it was, why has Mueller not looked into the servers and computers that were supposedly "hacked" by the Russians? Wouldn't that major illegal hacking into the DNC computers be front-and-center in the investigation? And, why would there be no looking into the Bernie Sanders campaign since some of the Russian social media posts/advertisements were pro-Bernie? https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/us/p ... ebook.html

I agree with those who say that what should have happened is that we should have had a 9/11 Commission-style independent investigation into Russian interference, where there was bipartisan representation on the committee, looking into Russian interference in general. But, instead, this is a Special Counsel tasked with a criminal investigation, specifically into ties and coordination (and collusion) involving Trump campaign people.
Au contraire, Forty Two. If the first thing Rosenstein mentioned is the primary mandate, then the Comey investigation is primary.
The Special Counsel is authorized to conduct the investigation confirmed by then-FBI Director James 8. Corney in testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence on March 20, 2017
The first thing Comey' mentions in the referenced testimony is counterintelligence, so that's primary.
I have been authorized by the Department of Justice to confirm that the FBI, as part of our counterintelligence mission, is investigating the Russian government's efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election and that includes investigating the nature of any links between individuals associated with the Trump campaign and the Russian government and whether there was any coordination between the campaign and Russia's efforts. As with any counterintelligence investigation, this will also include an assessment of whether any crimes were committed.
So by your own "logic," the evidence doesn't support your conclusion.
Forty Two wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:25 am
how could Trump and chums not think it's about nailing them?
By having clear consciences. :whisper:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:58 am

Your argument is the same as mine - in the quote you make able it says "that includes investigating the nature of any links between individuals associated with THE TRUMP CAMPAIGN and the Russian government." it doesn't say "any American" or "any candidate" and the Russian government. It says Trump. If it said "including any links between individuals associated with Rationalia websitea and the Russian government," wouldn't that be a fair bit of an indication that the investigation has something to do with us? And, the Mandate is under Part 600, which is criminal investigation. It does not cite Part 500, counterintelligence. It's a criminal probe. The idea that this is just some general counterintelligence investigation with nothing to do with nailing Trump is simply not accurate.

Having a clear conscience does not immunize a person against law enforcement, particularly in highly politically charged scenarios. It would be naive to think that knowing you're innocent of wrongdoing means you have nothing to worry about with respect to an investigation.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:58 am

Speaking of Comey - https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... bdc8dadd1b Inspector general blasts Comey and also says others at FBI showed ‘willingness to take official action’ to hurt Trump -
the report cited numerous instances of unprofessionalism, bias and misjudgment that hurt the bureau’s credibility. In particular, the report singled out lead agent Peter Strzok as showing anti-Trump bias that could have affected his thinking on the case during the immediate run-up to the 2016 election.
Some senior bureau officials, the report found, exhibited a disturbing “willingness to take official action” to hurt Trump’s chances to become president.

Perhaps the most damaging revelation in the report is a previously unreported text message in which Strzok, a key investigator on both the Clinton email case and the investigation of Russia and the Trump campaign, assured an FBI lawyer in August 2016 that “we’ll stop” Trump from making it to the White House.
“[Trump’s] not ever going to become president, right? Right?!” the lawyer, Lisa Page, wrote to Strzok.

“No. No he won’t. We’ll stop it,” Strzok responded. Page and Strzok were romantically involved and used their work phones to engage in long-running text discussions of various work and personal topics, according to people familiar with the case.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:19 pm

Two officials exchange anti Trump messages before election
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/06/15/poli ... index.html
therefore the entire FBI is crooked and Trump is clear of all charges! No collusion!
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:25 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:58 am
Your argument is the same as mine - in the quote you make able it says "that includes investigating the nature of any links between individuals associated with THE TRUMP CAMPAIGN and the Russian government." it doesn't say "any American" or "any candidate" and the Russian government. It says Trump. If it said "including any links between individuals associated with Rationalia websitea and the Russian government," wouldn't that be a fair bit of an indication that the investigation has something to do with us? And, the Mandate is under Part 600, which is criminal investigation. It does not cite Part 500, counterintelligence. It's a criminal probe. The idea that this is just some general counterintelligence investigation with nothing to do with nailing Trump is simply not accurate.

Having a clear conscience does not immunize a person against law enforcement, particularly in highly politically charged scenarios. It would be naive to think that knowing you're innocent of wrongdoing means you have nothing to worry about with respect to an investigation.
Nope, you obviously don't understand what an argument is. I've used your reasoning, as flawed as it is, to reach a different conclusion in service of parodying it.

You're mistakenly focusing on the second part of the sentence, so your caviling is irrelevant as it doesn't address the primary focus of Comey's investigation, which is what he listed first - counterintelligence. The parts after "that includes" are secondary. The first thing mentioned after that is not the text you are harping on, and therefore secondary. Nice try at quote mining, but this is primarily a counterintelligence investigation.

Follow your own rules Forty Two. :funny:

And thanks for your opinion, but I tend to disregard those. Especially since "the guilty flee when none pursue" could have been written for this President. :smoke:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:01 pm

The Mueller Mandate says what it says, and regulatory authority cited to give Mueller his authority is Part 600 - which is exclusively criminal. Mueller may be delegated a counterintelligence investigation under the general statutory authority, 28 U.S.C. § 510, but Mueller was NOT delegated under that section.
In the Mandate, it's Part 600 that's activated, Those regulations authorize the delegation of a criminal investigation to a Special Counsel and give the Special Counsel the powers of a “United States Attorney”— US Attorneys do not have the authority to conduct a counterintelligence investigation. Part 600 does not allow delegation of counterintelligence investigations.

The Mandate provides that Mueller shall be “appointed to serve as Special Counsel” in order “to ensure a full and thorough investigation of the Russian government’s efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election.” The Order does not itself specify the scope of the investigation. It cross-references congressional testimony by former FBI Director James Comey about a preexisting FBI investigation. It directs Mueller “to conduct the investigation confirmed by then-FBI Director James B. Comey in testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence on March 20, 2017, including . . . any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump.” (The Order also authorizes an investigation of matters “that arose or may arise directly from the investigation” or “other matters within the scope of 28 C.F.R. § 600.4(a).”) and the Mandate the Part 600 regulations (specifically sections 600.4 through 600.10 of Title 28 of the Code of Federal Regulations) are applicable.

Comey's investigation was not exclusively counterintelligence, although he does mention that it was undertaken as part of its intelligence mission. His testimony also discloses that “[a]s with any counterintelligence investigation, this will also include an assessment of whether any crimes were committed. Thus, for Comey's investigation it was both counterintelligence and criminal. But, when the Mandate was created, the criminal authority was activated under Part 600.

Further, I haven't disputed that the mandate purports to delegate a counterintelligence investigation AND a criminal investigation to the Special Counsel. It purports to do that. But the question was whether it was directed at Trump or the Trump campaign and any alleged "collusion" and it absolutely was. Item 1 in the list of things delegated is the "ties and/or coordination" specifically between the Trump campaign and the Russian government. It does not refer to anyone else. So, of course someone reading that is going to see it as directed at Trump. How can you argue otherwise? It's not like any other candidate was mentioned. Further, the subsequent Rosenstein memo specifically uses the word "collusion" relative to what the investigation is looking for.

With all due respect for Biblical proverbs about guilty fleeing when none pursues, it's a really stupid statement. We've been talking on this website for going on two years about whether there was proof of Trump involvement with the Russians to interfere with the 2016 election to the detriment of Hillary. That's because it started out as an FBI investigation into whether the Russian Government and any members of the Trump campaign were involved in any attempts to interfere with the 2016 election. That investigation became delegated to the special counsel. Yours is the first argument I've heard that suggests that this whole thing has nothing at all to do with Trump or the Trump campaign, except as incidental to a wholly neutral counterintelligence investigation.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:04 pm

Many are now over invested in wilfully conflating the fact that Mueller's investigations could, and indeed have, encompassed the activity of some members of Trump's campaign with an investigation specifically structured to personally investigate Trump for political reasons. Trump's DOJ appointed, mandated and resourced Mueller, but according to the Trump conspiracy theory machine it's all a dirt-fabricating put up job by Democrats, the FBI and #FAKENEWS designed to stop him being elected and/or to make him look foolish.

What Americans need to ask is why are Trump and chums working so very hard to undermine an Investigatory process they themselves initiated and oversee - and, importantly, what might be the consequences of that on the well ordered operation of US democracy.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:11 am

Politico: A judge has jailed former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort after prosecutors claimed he attempted to tamper with the testimony of two potential witnesses in a criminal case he faces over a Ukraine-related lobbying campaign.

The move marks a striking, although somewhat expected, turn in the government's long-running case against Manafort, who is facing a series of financial fraud, tax and lobbying charges in cases spiraling out of special counsel Robert Mueller's probe into contacts between the Trump campaign and Russia during the 2016 presidential election.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:30 am

Forty Two wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:01 pm
The Mueller Mandate says what it says, and regulatory authority cited to give Mueller his authority is Part 600 - which is exclusively criminal. Mueller may be delegated a counterintelligence investigation under the general statutory authority, 28 U.S.C. § 510, but Mueller was NOT delegated under that section.
In the Mandate, it's Part 600 that's activated, Those regulations authorize the delegation of a criminal investigation to a Special Counsel and give the Special Counsel the powers of a “United States Attorney”— US Attorneys do not have the authority to conduct a counterintelligence investigation. Part 600 does not allow delegation of counterintelligence investigations.

The Mandate provides that Mueller shall be “appointed to serve as Special Counsel” in order “to ensure a full and thorough investigation of the Russian government’s efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election.” The Order does not itself specify the scope of the investigation. It cross-references congressional testimony by former FBI Director James Comey about a preexisting FBI investigation. It directs Mueller “to conduct the investigation confirmed by then-FBI Director James B. Comey in testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence on March 20, 2017, including . . . any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump.” (The Order also authorizes an investigation of matters “that arose or may arise directly from the investigation” or “other matters within the scope of 28 C.F.R. § 600.4(a).”) and the Mandate the Part 600 regulations (specifically sections 600.4 through 600.10 of Title 28 of the Code of Federal Regulations) are applicable.

Comey's investigation was not exclusively counterintelligence, although he does mention that it was undertaken as part of its intelligence mission. His testimony also discloses that “[a]s with any counterintelligence investigation, this will also include an assessment of whether any crimes were committed. Thus, for Comey's investigation it was both counterintelligence and criminal. But, when the Mandate was created, the criminal authority was activated under Part 600.

Further, I haven't disputed that the mandate purports to delegate a counterintelligence investigation AND a criminal investigation to the Special Counsel. It purports to do that. But the question was whether it was directed at Trump or the Trump campaign and any alleged "collusion" and it absolutely was. Item 1 in the list of things delegated is the "ties and/or coordination" specifically between the Trump campaign and the Russian government. It does not refer to anyone else. So, of course someone reading that is going to see it as directed at Trump. How can you argue otherwise? It's not like any other candidate was mentioned. Further, the subsequent Rosenstein memo specifically uses the word "collusion" relative to what the investigation is looking for.

With all due respect for Biblical proverbs about guilty fleeing when none pursues, it's a really stupid statement. We've been talking on this website for going on two years about whether there was proof of Trump involvement with the Russians to interfere with the 2016 election to the detriment of Hillary. That's because it started out as an FBI investigation into whether the Russian Government and any members of the Trump campaign were involved in any attempts to interfere with the 2016 election. That investigation became delegated to the special counsel. Yours is the first argument I've heard that suggests that this whole thing has nothing at all to do with Trump or the Trump campaign, except as incidental to a wholly neutral counterintelligence investigation.
I love how you're arguing with my parody, but there's one little problem with your whole "Mueller was NOT delegated under that section" 28 U.S.C. § 510 argument. Remember the document you linked to to show Mueller's mandate in a recent post?

The first thing it says is:
By virtue of the authority vested in me as Acting Attorney General, including 28 U.S.C.
§§ 509, 510, and 515, in order to discharge my responsibility to provide supervision and
management of the Department of Justice, and to ensure a full and thorough investigation of the
Russian govemment's efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election,
I guess that means it's primary, eh? :hehe:

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:46 am

Joe, I admire your persistence, but Faulty Too simply will not concede he is wrong. He'll never run out of smoke and mirrors to defend his position because as soon as he has exhausted his supply he'll recycle the one's again and again that have not worked the previous time(s) around.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Thanks Hermit. I don't need him to concede anything.

It's just that an old dog like me appreciates the virtues of a durable chew toy from time to time. :pong:

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:21 am

Forty Two wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:01 pm

I think you're mixing my argument up with another's. I said, "This is a counterintelligence investigation in part," and "Yes, Mueller was tasked with investigating Russian interference and possible collusion, a criminal matter, but he was also tasked with continuing Comey's investigation. That was a counterintelligence investigation and a very different matter." IMO, the criminal investigation is intertwined with the counterintelligence one. Espionage is a serious felony after all.

However, if you haven't heard the argument that Trump isn't a target, you really need to get up to speed.

Have you already forgotten what Trey Gowdy said just last month?
The oversight committee chairman said both Wray and Rosenstein made it clear that Trump has never been the target of the investigation.

"Chris Wray and Rod Rosenstein have at least made it clear to us Donald Trump was never the target of the investigation, he's not the current target of the investigation," Gowdy said.

"Now, keep in mind, that can all change depending on what a witness says, but as of now, I think Chris Wray and Rod Rosenstein are stunned whenever people think Trump is the target of their investigation," he added.
In April, Mueller reportedly said Trump wasn't a criminal target of the investigation. Did you miss that too?

Did you space out Comey's testimony last year? Yep, he told Trump he wasn't under investigation. According to Trump, he told him three times.

Were you asleep when the liberal law professor Jonathan Turley wrote an opinion piece called When will the media accept that Trump is not a criminal target?

That goes for you too. Maybe you should spend less time on pedantic word games and pay more attention to the counterintelligence aspects of what has come to light. As it is, you either run away, or try and softpedal it with faulty logic, conflating disparate meanings of the word primary.

As for Solomon's proverb, the wisdom of that escaped you as well. While you and Trump blabber about collusion, Trey Gowdy summed it up:
If you look at the jurisdiction for Robert Mueller, first and foremost what did Russia do to this country in 2016. That is supremely important and it has nothing to do with collusion,” Gowdy said. “So to suggest that Mueller should shut down and that all he’s looking at is collusion, if you have an innocent client Mr. Dowd, act like it.
Yeah, Trump flees "when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion." :tut: