Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:45 am

Nothing wrong with asking about politics in a discussion with the second in command of the person that you just fired because of 'the Russia thing,' right? I mean it's not illegal or anything, so why would anybody have a problem with it? Right?

'Trump asked acting FBI chief whom he voted for during WH meeting: report'
President Trump asked Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabe during an Oval Office meeting last year whom he voted for in the 2016 election, according to a new report.

The Washington Post reports Trump invited McCabe to the White House after he fired former FBI Director James Comey last May. McCabe was the acting FBI director at the time.

Current and former U.S. officials told the Post that Trump and McCabe had a casual conversation before Trump asked McCabe who he voted for in the 2016 presidential election. McCabe reportedly told Trump that he didn’t vote.

Trump also reportedly expressed anger at McCabe over the thousands of dollars in donations his wife, a Democrat, received for her failed Virginia state Senate bid in 2015 from a political action committee led by former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D), who is closely tied to the Clintons.

One former U.S. official told the Post that McCabe thought the conversation with Trump was “disturbing,” and one person told the newspaper that special counsel Robert Mueller is interested in the talk.
Ah, but no actual names of sources, so FAKE NEWS. Right?

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:01 am

Forty Two wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:
Forty Two wrote: So... you can definitely believe them when they say that a Trump tariff policy will hurt American business, because nobody is more pro-American business than a Progressive political advocacy group.

They didn't say it. They quoted some research group saying it.
I've just decided to join the playbook of some others here - if the source is biased, I'm not looking beyond it. Find a better source that's saying the same thing. I wouldn't trust "Think Progress" as far as they can be thrown.
I don't read Think Progress, personally, but I'm sure it's a damn sight better than the garbage that you read.
http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 7#p1745717
Alex Jones belongs in an insane asylum and his stupid "male vitality" supplements belong up his rectum.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:05 am

Forty Two wrote:Trump can't possibly be proceeding with a reasonable justification for imposing the tariff.
What happened to Trump being the most liberal President since whenever it was? :tea:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:39 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:00 am

Forty Two wrote:With all due respect to "The Guardian" and "Think Progress" and their clear, unbiased reporting on the issue, I think we should refresh our memories on the topic by referencing the myriad posts you guys made excoriating the European Union for imposing the same tariffs on the same solar panels back in 2016 and 2017. The EU has set minimum import duties for Chinese solar modules and cells that price them up to 30 percent above market levels – a level roughly identical to Trump's.

The idea is that Brussels has long accused China of dumping solar panels on the European market, and Washington (not just Trump) have long accused China of the same thing. That's a long term trade problem, and both Europe and the US have calculated that it's important to put the kaibash on China now, or risk having China destroy both the US and Europe in the solar panel industry. http://www.pveurope.eu/News/Markets-Mon ... -18-months and http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/press/ ... fm?id=1461

Now... I'm sure the argument will be some form of justification -- Europe, of course, has good and honorable reasons for imposing 30%+/- tariffs on solar panels, and it's not for the evil purpose of destroying the solar panel industry to serve the mustache-twirling oil company executives and the hot-shot bankers. The US tariffs, of course, are for that evil purpose. We know that. Because, you know, Trump is evil. He wants to destroy the American solar panel industry, to serve his masters, the oil company (who he has next to no allegiance to, but who rule him anyway, we just know it...). Trump can't possibly be proceeding with a reasonable justification for imposing the tariff. It's just not possible.
"Economics is war conducted by other means." - Eugenius Burke

The West will, in the end, get it's manufacturing base back - servicing the consumer demands of the Chinese middle class, and the world will become a single free trade zone with a single regulatory and legislative authority sitting in Beijing.

:crumple:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:38 pm

white guys from right wing party still ignoring all the shithead's comments about people being useless from shithole backgrounds
Republicans More Likely Than Democrats to Approve of Trump, by Almost 12-to-1

Political party affiliation is the most dominant factor influencing public opinion regarding Trump's job performance. As would be expected, Republicans are very likely to approve of the president's performance, while Democrats are very unlikely to approve. In the last two months of 2017, the gap between parties on this item was 74 percentage points (81% approval among Republicans and 7% among Democrats) -- essentially on par with the average gap throughout Barack Obama's entire presidency.
Disaggregating the umbrella "nonwhite" category shows that Trump is especially unpopular with black Americans, 9% of whom approve of how he handles his job. About one in five Hispanics (18%) approve of Trump's performance, while 30% of Americans who identify as Asian or another nonwhite race/ethnicity approve of the president.
Why can't those brown people just get jobs?
http://news.gallup.com/poll/226091/part ... aign=tiles
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:47 pm

Hearing all these reports that Trump still has high support in a significant segment of the population is depressing me. How the fuck could anyone support that self obsessed lying fuckstick?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:02 pm

pErvinalia wrote:Hearing all these reports that Trump still has high support in a significant segment of the population is depressing me. How the fuck could anyone support that self obsessed lying fuckstick?
They think all Democrats are useless bums. We don't need more medieval scholars! And the brown people should just work at Wal Mart. After all, government does not really do anything. Well, it's good for bombing Muslims. But Trump is doing just fine dismantling the federal government! :cranky:
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:43 pm

Cabinet heads free to do anything they like, as long as it keads to unlimited private sector freedom and reducing federal spending on actual citizens and services. Not a penny to be spent on foreigners aside from cost of deporting.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/ ... nda-351646

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:45 pm

Seabass wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:
Forty Two wrote: So... you can definitely believe them when they say that a Trump tariff policy will hurt American business, because nobody is more pro-American business than a Progressive political advocacy group.

They didn't say it. They quoted some research group saying it.
I've just decided to join the playbook of some others here - if the source is biased, I'm not looking beyond it. Find a better source that's saying the same thing. I wouldn't trust "Think Progress" as far as they can be thrown.
I don't read Think Progress, personally, but I'm sure it's a damn sight better than the garbage that you read.
http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 7#p1745717
Alex Jones belongs in an insane asylum and his stupid "male vitality" supplements belong up his rectum.
I agree about Alex Jones. The "garbage you read" as you say, is not garbage I read. The most recent example you gave was from November 2016, almost a year and a half ago, and all it was was a video clip. It wasn't an article. It was just a video clip, and I don't think anyone was saying it was fake. https://www.infowars.com/shock-video-bl ... ump-voter/ And, the response to that was "did you really post something from infowars."

My position at the time was basically that it's a video - it is what it is. It doesn't matter if it's on Hitler's Facebook page or on Steve Shives' Youtube Channel. It just does not matter. I wasn't saying that anything Infowars said was true, I just listed the video among a list of examples of a certain kind of conduct under discussion.

The difference here is that Think Progress is engaged in political advocacy about a complex point of the effect of a tariff. I agree in principle that their argument and facts should stand or fall on their own. But there is a significant difference between an extensive discussion/opinion piece, and what amounts to a link to a video.

The second link you provided was from August, 2016, and was another video (with some discussion) about a Wikileaks release - the beginning of the thousands and thousands of pages of leaked emails, which Julian Assange said could be significant if it "catches fire" in the media and the public. Nothing else. No conspiracy theories. And, it was accurate - Wikileaks did make the release and it was significant, obviously.

All the other links are 2012 and 2010 links. One in 2010 was a link at the start of a thread asking "will the US collapse economically" and primarily descrying the "neocons," Wall Street and Bush. LOL. It was pretty much uniformly agreed-with by all respondents that the US will collapse economically, and the consensus is that it had to do with capitalism being doomed to collapse

Another link fro 2011 just reports that a then new Rasmussen poll reported that only 17% of Americans thought that the US government had the consent of the governed.

However, in any case, I think it's unfair to suggest that infowars is my source. I've not used it that way. I don't value it as a source. I've said so. However, that doesn't mean that here and there it's not interesting to discuss things that show up there. That said, I would never post an article from Infowars that purported to discuss the economic effects of a budget, or tariff, or tax or something, and accept its conclusions or arguments. Infowars has an agenda, and is a right wing conspiracy theory website. So, we're not really in disagreement there.

That said, also, the fact that Infowars is often ridiculous does not make Think Progress a reliable, unbiased source of information whose opinions have a track record of unbiased accuracy.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:59 pm

Tero wrote:Cabinet heads free to do anything they like, as long as it keads to unlimited private sector freedom and reducing federal spending on actual citizens and services. Not a penny to be spent on foreigners aside from cost of deporting.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/ ... nda-351646
Would you prefer he "infamously micromanage" everything?

"Unlimited?" private sector freedom? Perhaps a different way to word it would be that unreasonable and unnecessary (from a cost benefit perspective) restrictions on private sector freedom are being removed.

I'm not sure why we would want to "spend money on foreigners" unnecessarily. Is there a reason to continue the special status for El Salvadorans? Haitians? Why?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:05 pm

I’m all for cutting foreign aid. Let us start with Israel. Then ban oil from Saudi Arabia. Promote local power.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:31 pm

pErvinalia wrote:Hearing all these reports that Trump still has high support in a significant segment of the population is depressing me. How the fuck could anyone support that self obsessed lying fuckstick?
By saying, "He might be a self obsessed lying fuckstick, but he's our self obsessed lying fuckstick." :D
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:44 pm

Trump supporters aren't the brightest, simply put.

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:45 pm

Trump’s ”good friend” at RNC

Wynn, who turned 76 on Saturday, is a billionaire business rival turned political ally of Trump, who selected him for the RNC role after he was vice-chair of the president’s inaugural committee.

Wynn spoke last weekend at a fundraiser held at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida.

On Friday the Wall Street Journal detailed claims by a number of women who say they were harassed or assaulted by Wynn. One case led to a $7.5m settlement with a manicurist, the paper reported.