Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:48 am

Slide Fire Solutions, a bump stocks manufacturer, is offering 10% off with coupon code: MAGA.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:27 am

"Make America Gory Again"

and again

and again

and again...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:27 pm

The Hill:
Let’s not forget that according to exit polls, 80 percent of white, born-again evangelical Christians supported Trump in the last election. Hillary Clinton only received 16 percent support. Voters from this demographic cast 26 percent of all votes for president in 2016.

For a group that regularly preaches about the “sanctity of marriage” and inveighs against the evils of divorce, it was a major political puzzle to me when evangelicals first backed the thrice-married, adulterous Trump over Hillary Clinton.

http://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/ ... -for-trump

She suffered years of public humiliation rather than breaking up her family, turning away from marriage vows and divorcing her philandering husband.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:32 pm

Those who thought Obama shoudln't be president because his 'race' marked him as socially inferior probably think the same about women. Trump, being the only white male among the big two made him the default repository for the bigot vote.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:52 pm

Tero wrote:The Hill:
Let’s not forget that according to exit polls, 80 percent of white, born-again evangelical Christians supported Trump in the last election. Hillary Clinton only received 16 percent support. Voters from this demographic cast 26 percent of all votes for president in 2016.

For a group that regularly preaches about the “sanctity of marriage” and inveighs against the evils of divorce, it was a major political puzzle to me when evangelicals first backed the thrice-married, adulterous Trump over Hillary Clinton.

http://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/ ... -for-trump

She suffered years of public humiliation rather than breaking up her family, turning away from marriage vows and divorcing her philandering husband.
Protestants don't have an issue with divorce. That's a Catholic thing.

And a core tenet of these denominations you are referring to is that everyone falls short of the glory of god, everyone sins. So, saying someone committed adultery, or otherwise sinned is only half the analysis. What are they committing to now?

Also, they believe that salvation comes from grace through faith in Jesus Christ, not through good deeds or "works," and damnation does not come from bad deeds. Everyone falls short. The only question is whether you can get yourself redeemed and saved by the grace of God, through his divine son, JC.

Failing to divorce a philanderer doesn't mean much in that context. Rather, what she commits to regarding Jesus and God, and the rest is what is important. So, when she makes veiled attacks on the evangelicals by calling them racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, and otherwise a "basket of deplorables" and she does not commit to Christianity in some form, she's out - doesn't matter if she advances good policies or not.

There is some consistency there -- atheist conservatives don't get any love either. They are kept around sort of as a novelty -- interviewed on TV when they need someone to say "see! even the atheist agrees with us!"
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:53 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:Those who thought Obama shoudln't be president because his 'race' marked him as socially inferior probably think the same about women. Trump, being the only white male among the big two made him the default repository for the bigot vote.
If that were the reason they voted for Trump, then Cruz would have won. He was the Christian wet dream.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:03 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:Those who thought Obama shoudln't be president because his 'race' marked him as socially inferior probably think the same about women. Trump, being the only white male among the big two made him the default repository for the bigot vote.
If that were the reason they voted for Trump, then Cruz would have won. He was the Christian wet dream.
It's the reason some people objected to Obama and Clinton for sure - but I wonder, how much influence does the evangelical lobby have as far as the nominee rounds go? Is the Republican Party a particular focus of pulpit-proffered political preaching in general, or is it more of an influential factor that only comes into play once the main race is under way? Was Trump endorsed by evangelicals because he was a good Christian fellow, or just because he was on the Republican ticket. All your elected representatives are self-declared Christians, so why do most evangelicals endorse and vote Republican, and only Republican?

Frank Zappa

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:26 pm

Trump: His chronic lying corrodes public trust. He stokes bigotry and divisiveness. He evaluates everyone he deals with in terms of how cravenly they flatter him.

He habitually derides others but has no humor about himself. His actions are suffused with grandiosity, impulsiveness, vindictiveness, a consuming sense of grievance, a comprehensive lack of empathy, an indifference to consequence and changes of course so bewildering that they bespeak the untethered mind of a man who sees the Oval Office merely as a soundstage for his endless song of self.

His instincts are profoundly authoritarian. His public statements are unmoored from fact or reason. He has no grasp of history, no values which transcend self-interest. He attacks any institution which can hold him accountable, lashes out at critics great and small, and scorns advice which contravenes his immediate desires.
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5a84 ... 4f31d18d35

Obama:
He was...too black. And he gave slum folks Obamaphones.

Failed to punish Wal Street and throw us into depression.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:04 pm

Great presidents. Even Obama accomplished something! Born in Hawaii!!!

Franklin Roosevelt

"As FDR once said, 'Government by organized money is just as dangerous as government by organized mob.'"

Trump made a big deal of self-funding his own campaign during its early days. He did not do so.

Lyndon Johnson

"I respect Lyndon Johnson because he was one smart cookie. But, I mean, Lyndon Johnson was a major player. He was a very, very tough cookie."

Being tough is the best compliment Trump can give you.

George H.W. Bush

"I was with George Bush today. I listened to George Bush. I listened to what he said. I believe very strongly what he said. I think he's going to be a great president."

Trump may have said this at the 1988 Republican National Convention, but does he think Bush was as good a president as him? See: Abraham Lincoln

Barack Obama

"President Barack Obama was born in the United States. Period."

After much hype, Trump said that in 2016, after years of questioning the provenance of his immediate predecessor. In case there were any doubts.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:24 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:31 am

It's all because the mainstream media is almost without exception suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome. He's been treated very unfairly, believe me.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:33 am

Probably the most mistreated President in the entire history of for-always-and-for-ever.

Frank Zappa

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:14 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:46 am

It would be interesting to have a world-wide poll on who are the best national leaders (probably with a limit of 30 or so...), perhaps with the condition that citizens of a given country can't include their own leader in their vote...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Gord

Post by Gord » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:16 am

Would they have to be living national leaders? Or can we have Hitler on it, for shits and giggles?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE