Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

Locked
User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 24539
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:02 am

Poor Republicans :boohoo:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 50536
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:15 am

Sums conservatives up.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
Animavore
Nasty Hombre
Posts: 38427
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:26 am
Location: Ire Land.
Contact:

Re: Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

Post by Animavore » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:29 am

She spoke the truth and people got burnt. And all Trump could do was stay in his safe space.
"[Donald Trump] a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose".
- New Zealand mosque shooter.

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 50536
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:40 am

It perfectly sums up conservatives "born to rule" mentality. They feel perfectly entitled to belittle people and morally dictate to them how they should behave, but when someone applies the same rules to them they get all indignant because it both usurps their authority to be the moral arbiters of everyone else, and destroys any credibility that they pretend to have.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 62195
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

Post by JimC » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:13 am

They've been making excuses for Trump's crudities all along - what's good for the goose is good for the gander...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 50536
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:51 am

The reality is, these people are thin-skinned snowflakes. Just like Trump himself.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
Tero
Just saying
Posts: 28516
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:50 pm
About me: Something something birds
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

Post by Tero » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:42 pm

Image
http://karireport.blogspot.com/ (:_funny_:)
http://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Dominus vo-bisque'em Et cum spear a tu-tu, oh!

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:49 pm

Tero wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:59 pm
CNN:
Wolf's criticism of the media was (generally) on point
The most powerful line of Wolf's speech, which will inevitably get overshadowed by what she said about Sanders, was this on the media and Trump:
"He has helped you sell your papers and your books and your TV. You helped create this monster and now you are profiting from him."
The reason he helped sell papers and books is because people want to hear about him, especially those of you who hate him. It's really your fault.

Tero wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:59 pm
The first sentence there is 100% right. It is absolutely beyond debate that Trump has been good for the news business. The amount of news he creates coupled with the number of people who consume news about him has made cable news and print media more relevant (and profitable) than ever before.
The second sentence I take some issue with. Yes, cable ran Trump's primary speeches because he said and did things that no one else would do -- and that people would watch. And, yes, when I was at The Washington Post, I wrote about Trump regularly because he said and did things that no one else did.
But that, to me, is different than "creating" Trump. Donald Trump's candidacy was formed and sharpened by an angry and embittered GOP electorate who was sick of their own party, of Washington, of the media, of everything. He was rising whether the media covered him wall to wall or not; he was the angry id of the GOP. The media didn't create that.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/29/politics ... index.html
This last bit is accurate. And, it's a Presidential race, the press need to cover the candidates. And, this is exactly right that peopel were sick of their own party, but it's more than that - they were sick of both parties, which have simply traded the white house back and forth with no real postive change. Trump promised economic gains, a nation with a border, and the placement of US interests ahead of other nation's interests (which are things a lot of people want).
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:14 pm

JimC wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:13 am
They've been making excuses for Trump's crudities all along - what's good for the goose is good for the gander...
To me, in this venue, I think the jokes were just bad. Her delivery, and her approach, were like a Comedy Central Roast (the one where every second word is foul language, and it's all just obvious crude humor). The difference is that there are funny comedians that do a roast well, but it takes a high degree of talent to balance the ribbing so it can be done with good humor to the person's face.

I had to google who Michelle Wolf was, because she's not a particularly well known comedian. I saw that her big deal is writing for The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, which is never funny. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart was uproariously funny consistently for many years. Trevor Noah's version is awful.

She worked for Bear Stearns and JP Morgan Chase up through the financial crisis. She's done very little in comedy, really. I'm not sure why she would even be picked for this - it used to be big names, but given the choices for the last 5 years, I think it must be getting harder to get big names to attend. Rich Little did it in 2007 and 1984 -- Conan Obrien took a turn - as did Jon Stewart, Jay Leno, Paula Poundstone, Dick Cavett, Elaine Boosler, Al Franken, Bob Home, Ray Romano, Darryl Hammond, Drew Carey, Cedric the Entertainer, Stephen Colbert, Wanda Sykes, etc. - but, this year it's unknown Michelle Wolf, last year was another unknown, Hasan Minhaj,

Anyway - it's not just the right wingers that are being "snowflakes" about this - even CNN came out and criticized her performance. Regarding how she attacked Sarah Sanders - "I'm stunned that Sanders sat five feet away from Wolf and just took it." - https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/29/politics ... index.html
Most comedians who speak at the correspondents' dinner take a fair number of shots at the attendees in the room. But they also play along with theme of the night, which attempts to be a celebration of the free and independent media as well as a chance to shine a light on some of the best journalists in the country.
Wolf didn't do that. She wanted to napalm the room. And she did. Unapologetically.
The abortion stuff was beyond the pale
Here's Wolf's joke about Vice President Mike Pence's opposition to abortion: "He thinks abortion is murder which, first of all, don't knock it 'til you try it — and when you do try it, really knock it. You know, you've got to get that baby out of there."
Does anyone think this joke is funny? You can hate abortion and think it is murder. You can feel as though it's not the government's business what you do with your body and how you handle your own life. But, does anyone celebrate abortion -- even jokingly?
Wolf got exactly what she wanted
Don't be fooled: Wolf knew exactly what she was doing on Saturday night. She knew that the speech -- at least in parts -- was likely to go over like a lead balloon in the room. And that it would stir huge amounts of controversy in its wake.
THAT WAS THE POINT.
Ask yourself this: Did the average person know who Wolf was before Saturday night? (I will admit, I did not. And, yes, I know Wolf had never heard of me either.) Search interest in her soared last night and continued to spike Sunday morning, according to Google Trends. She is the talk of every Sunday talk show. She will be a regular topic on cable TV -- and late-night TV -- this week.
On a related note, her Netflix series, "The Break With Michelle Wolf" -- comes on May 27. She couldn't buy better publicity for that show than she got with her speech on Saturday night.
That's CNN, not the Trump Administration.

And, those folks saying "well Trump does it all the time!" -- isn't that "whataboutism?"
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 50536
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:22 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:14 pm
JimC wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:13 am
They've been making excuses for Trump's crudities all along - what's good for the goose is good for the gander...
To me, in this venue, I think the jokes were just bad. Her delivery, and her approach, were like a Comedy Central Roast (the one where every second word is foul language, and it's all just obvious crude humor). The difference is that there are funny comedians that do a roast well, but it takes a high degree of talent to balance the ribbing so it can be done with good humor to the person's face.
I think that's the usual approach. But I get the impression this wasn't supposed to be usual. It was supposed to be an outright attack on Trump and the media. At least I hope that was what it was. If it wasn't it was indeed very cringe-worthy.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:23 pm

JimC wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:13 am
They've been making excuses for Trump's crudities all along - what's good for the goose is good for the gander...
Who is "they?" CNN? Maggie Haberman of the New York Times? https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/99 ... e=BBCWorld

The intended purpose of the dinner is to "acknowledge award-winners, present scholarships, and give the press and the president an evening of friendly appreciation." Friendly appreciation.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 50536
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:24 pm

He's talking about Trump's supporters and pretend supporters.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 24539
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:53 pm

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests