Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Trump, the man with a dream of a Wall

Post by JimC » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:24 am

I think that it would be easier to have the current leaders...

My prediction is Trump at the bottom, unless the Syrian president is there...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:56 am

JimC wrote:I think that it would be easier to have the current leaders...

My prediction is Trump at the bottom, unless the Syrian president is there...
There are far worse than him and I dont think Trump would be last. He has not committed genocide yet.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:03 am

You'd love Linux SD. :D
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:11 am

Brian Peacock wrote:You'd love Linux SD. :D
I missed it Brian. Too busy. So much programming. I used programme in bursts of about 26 hours. Then take a day off. I ended up in hospital once over stressed. A mad world. I was a soloist as many were in those days. Nobody had a clue what you were doing. "In the land of the blind one eye is king".

I think we are in the wrong thread dont you?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:13 am

:)
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:30 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:You'd love Linux SD. :D
I missed it Brian. Too busy. So much programming. I used programme in bursts of about 26 hours. Then take a day off. I ended up in hospital once over stressed. A mad world. I was a soloist as many were in those days. Nobody had a clue what you were doing. "In the land of the blind one eye is king".
:lol: :tup:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:55 am

Has it changed much?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:59 am

It was nearly exactly that when I last worked in IT 10 years ago. But that was uni, not corporate.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:09 am

pErvinalia wrote:It was nearly exactly that when I last worked in IT 10 years ago. But that was uni, not corporate.
I never worked for a software house although I was head hunted a couple times. This was the millennium problem. I never dared to take the risk which I was proved right as most shut down pretty quickly. I worked for a consulting engineers and had a permanent contract which gave me protection during the turbulent years. Thanks to the government early retirement scheme that was in place and being born in 49 I was able to retire at 61. The scheme does not exist anymore.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:52 pm

Nafta evil! How’s that working, Trump?

As Trump trashes NAFTA, Mexico turns to Brazilian corn
Quote:
Mexican buyers imported ten times more corn from Brazil last year amid concern that NAFTA renegotiations could disrupt their U.S. supplies, according to government data and top grains merchants....U.S. farmers, food processors and grain traders have spent months trying to prevent trade relationships from falling apart if the North American Free Trade Agreement implodes. They are trying to protect more than $19 billion in sales to Mexican buyers of everything from corn and soybeans to dairy and poultry...Mexico has long been the top importer of U.S. corn, and is the second largest buyer of U.S. soybeans. News link:
https://www.metro.us/news/reuters/exclu ... ilian-corn

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:08 pm

Good! We need to break Big Corn. They grow so much of the shit it's in everything from our gasoline to our candy and candy flavored lubes. They lobby Washington to invent laws requiring the use of corn. Down with Big Corn!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:17 pm

Tero wrote:Nafta evil! How’s that working, Trump?
NAFTA was staunchly opposed by most Democrats when it was proposed and after. They voiced the exact same concerns about it that Trump expresses. NAFTA was a Republican, free trade, neoliberal policy designed to drop trade barriers so large corporations could build plants in Mexico to take advantage of cheap labor and very minimal safety and other regulations.

When did the left start sucking NAFTA's dick?

NAFTA was bashed by the left before Trump bashed it - just in 2014 --
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-fau ... 28140.html

When it was being sold, 20 odd years ago, the top Democrats, House Majority Leader Richard Gephardt (Mo.) and House Majority Whip David Bonior (Mich.), opposed it. In both the House and the Senate, more Democrats voted against NAFTA than for it. The unions opposed NAFTA. The environmentalists opposed NAFTA.

Republicans overwhelmingly loved NAFTA, because it was pro-free trade - reduced tariffs, and pro free markets (so they said). Trump was a diametric break from the Republicans on this. His opposition to globalization, his opposition to trade deals like NAFTA, is a reversal of the Republican position.

But, since it's Trump that takes these positions, you're now full-throatedly suckling at the power-penis of NAFTA?

Tero wrote: As Trump trashes NAFTA, Mexico turns to Brazilian corn
Quote:
Mexican buyers imported ten times more corn from Brazil last year amid concern that NAFTA renegotiations could disrupt their U.S. supplies, according to government data and top grains merchants....U.S. farmers, food processors and grain traders have spent months trying to prevent trade relationships from falling apart if the North American Free Trade Agreement implodes. They are trying to protect more than $19 billion in sales to Mexican buyers of everything from corn and soybeans to dairy and poultry...Mexico has long been the top importer of U.S. corn, and is the second largest buyer of U.S. soybeans. News link:
https://www.metro.us/news/reuters/exclu ... ilian-corn
I don't have the energy to look into it. The article, if written by someone other than an idiot journalist, would not have jumped between units, making it impossible to see exactly what the increases and decreases were. They say a 970% jump, but we don't know how much in dollar value Brazil sold in 2016 vs. 2017. They refer to the US exports to Mexico by dollar, but not metric tonne, and they refer to the Brazilian imports by metric tonne and not dollar. They don't say how much the US lost in exports to Mexico from 2016 to 2017 either. So, we are unable to determine whether the quantity/dollar value being imported from Brazil is particularly significant as compared to the total imported from the US.

Reporting in general is so shoddy. It makes me suspicious when they just deal in percents. 970% is a lot, but what it means depends on the starting point. 970% of not much doesn't mean as 970% of a lot. The article carefully avoids giving a frame of reference.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:22 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:Good! We need to break Big Corn. They grow so much of the shit it's in everything from our gasoline to our candy and candy flavored lubes. They lobby Washington to invent laws requiring the use of corn. Down with Big Corn!
Grow more corn! The water usage is fine! The fertilizer usage is fine! The environmentalists are full of shit!

:prof:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:36 pm

You could request the environmentalists to contribute. Take a dump in nearest corn field. We don’t eat the corn. We feed it to animals and eat them!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:51 pm

Build the wall out of corn! win-win-win