Objectively horrifying...

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Objectively horrifying...

Post by Forty Two » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Even after a jury verdict, none of us "knows" what happened, unless we're witnesses, and even then the knowledge is limited to what we personally can attest to.

To suggest that all persons accusing someone else of sexual assault should be "believed" is a political statement. It's not a statement related to truth or fact or the reality of what happened. In almost all types of criminal cases, there are a range of possibilities from an accuser being a truth-teller with a comparatively flaw-free memory, to a liar with a bizarre memory faults and defects. In between are people who think they're telling the truth but are wrong, people with bad memories but good faith, people with bad faith but good memories, etc.

In any incident in which we were not involved, none of us knows what happened, so to "believe" one person or another based on our presupposition that persons of that type don't lie about stuff of that kind is "prejudice." It's not wrong to say "I don't know what happened," and "she says X, he says opposite of X, so on what basis do I give the nod to one or the other?" If the answer is "because women/men generally tell the truth in these situations" then that's prejudice, prejudgment, and stereotyping. If the answer is, "because evidence Y corroborates X" or "because evidence Z corroborates opposite of X," then you have a judgment based on evidence particular to that case.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:43 pm

Forty Two wrote:In any incident in which we were not involved, none of us knows what happened,
I agree, in the one-on-one sex cases.

Funny thing is though, in the example I quoted, everyone actually knows what happened, but they still managed to wind up with verdicts of the exact opposite.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:33 am

mistermack wrote::funny:

So now, according to you, people accused of rape and sexual assault should be considered guilty, unless they can prove their innocence.

But Liverpool fans who crush 96 people to death should be considered "unlucky". Until the official whitewash declares them "victims".

The unfortunate thing for that narrative is that the police didn't crush anyone, the stadium didn't crush anyone, even god was nowhere to be seen on the day. The only people doing any crushing were Liverpool fans.

Aren't facts irritating? :x
How much are you drinking these days?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:56 am

Not enough water, clearly, as brain shrinkage seems to be a possibility..
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:49 am

I hate when that happens.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:32 pm

pErvinalia wrote:Not enough water, clearly, as brain shrinkage seems to be a possibility..
Not in your case.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.