Ecocide watch.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Ecocide watch.

Post by Animavore » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:32 pm

Because this doesn't belong in the climate change thread, and is a larger problem than Trump.

We, those of us who understand the huge problem ahead of us, can be under no doubt that the most powerful nation on the planet is currently controlled by the most hostile, threatening, and most dangerous, to our way of life, administration the US has seen. Forget Islamic terrorist. Forget the gun problem. The single biggest threat to the US and the World is climate change.

Now we're talking here about flooding, drought, extreme weather, sea rise, etc. We're talking about millions dying, or displaced, leading to climate refugees, leading to war. Ironically, like Catholics opposing both abortion and the solution to more abortions, contraception, right-wing dopes are usually the most against immigration, while willing to exasperate the problem by further creating the conditions which create refugees (along with advocating war). Though, it must be said, there was that one guy in the climate denial organisation (read; front for Exxon Mobil and Koch Industries), The Heartland Institute who said climate change would help kill their enemies in the Middle East. A tacit admission that they know well what's happening, and they don't care because they believe this only happens to brown people; environmental racists.

So now the US has a government which sees fit to exasperate the problem by supporting their fossil industry backers. By using tax payer money to subsidise coal. By wanting to scrap the endangered species act so the industry can plunder the land for dirtier extraction. By selling off nation parks to be razed to the ground. And making attempts to stymie and censor science, a blatant attack on free enquiry, as if covering up the problem will make it go away.

There are some conservationists who think 'ecocide should become a crime, and I find it difficult to argue against this. Climate change is a fact. And to deliberately pour fuel on the fire should absolutely be regarded as a crime. And yes, I do regard Trump and his cabal of fossil interests as criminals and wanton vandals. The same goes for his coal-rolling supporters who mock and scoff while exhibiting a complete lack of understanding.

I have created this thread to more properly track and report on these eco-vandals.
Last edited by Animavore on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: Ecocide watch.

Post by Animavore » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:39 pm

To get us started.
L'Emmerdeur wrote:Sweet deal from the Trump administration to transfer wealth from citizens of the United States to the coal and nuclear power industries.

'Trump Wants to Save Big Coal With $11 Billion Annual Bailout'
The Trump administration wants to force electricity customers to pay for a $10.6 billion annual bailout of the failing coal and nuclear industries through surcharges on their monthly energy bills.

The quietly announced proposal would require ratepayers to fully underwrite a new mandate that coal and nuclear plants hold a minimum of 90 days' worth of fuel on-site under the false premise of providing security from power outages.

But critics say the subsidy is just a massive government-mandated transfer of wealth from consumers to coal and nuclear companies.

"This is like changing the energy system from capitalism to communism—and the U.S. government wants to do it within the next two weeks," said Michael Krancer, a principal at energy policy company Silent Majority Strategies.

The Department of Energy says the fuel stockpiles are necessary to prevent power outages “in times of supply stress, such as recent natural disasters.” But only 0.00007 percent of all major power disruptions over the past five years were due to fuel supply problems, John Larsen, a power sector researcher for the Rhodium Group, told Newsweek.

“The true cause of power loss is on the distribution side—meaning telephone poles going down,” he added. “The presence of a very large pile of coal next to my coal plant doesn’t really change much.”

So what is going on? Evidence points to a big handout to Big Coal from a president who campaigned on reviving the declining industry.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:39 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:If we can't see the extent to which the polar ice is decreasing, then it's not a problem, right?
The row has erupted after a key polar satellite broke down a few days ago, leaving the US with only three ageing ones, each operating long past their shelf lives, to measure the Arctic’s dwindling ice cap. Scientists say there is no chance a new one can now be launched until 2023 or later. None of the current satellites will still be in operation then.

The crisis has been worsened because the US Congress this year insisted that a backup sea-ice probe had to be dismantled because it did not want to provide funds to keep it in storage. Congress is currently under the control of Republicans, who are antagonistic to climate science and the study of global warming.

At present three ageing satellites – DMSP F16, F17 and F18 – remain in operation, though they are all beginning to drift out of their orbits over the poles. The latest satellite in the series, F19, began to suffer sensor malfunctions last year and finally broke down a few weeks ago. It should have been replaced with the F20 probe, which had already been built and was being kept in storage by the US Air Force. However it had to be destroyed, on the orders of the US Congress, on the grounds that its storage was too costly.

Many scientists say this decision was made for purely ideological reasons. They also warn that many other projects for monitoring climate change, including several satellite missions, face similar threats from the Trump administration and Congress.

Such losses have serious consequences, say researchers. “Sea-ice data provided by satellites is essential for initiating climate models and validating them,” said Andrew Fleming of the British Antarctic Survey. “We will be very much the poorer without that information.”

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:41 pm

Let's be under no doubt who funds this criminal administration.

[quote="Rumraket";p="2594805"]http://thehill.com/policy/international ... ion-effort
[b2]US backs out of global oil anti-corruption effort[/b2]

The Trump administration said Thursday it would exit an international effort to fight corruption that targeted revenue from oil and natural gas extraction.

The U.S. will no longer participate in the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI), a global initiative that requires member nations to disclose their revenues from oil, gas and mining assets, according to Reuters.

Under the agreement, the U.S. was required to reveal all the revenue it received from oil, gas and mining companies, and required those companies to publicly disclose the payments they make to the U.S. and other governments.
https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comm ... h=36fe209f
The Trump administration said Thursday it would exit an international effort to fight corruption that targeted revenue from oil and natural gas extraction.
The U.S. will no longer participate in the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative, a global initiative that requires member nations to disclose their revenues from oil, gas and mining assets, according to Reuters.
Under the agreement, the U.S. was required to reveal all the revenue it received from oil, gas and mining companies, and required those companies to publicly disclose the payments they make to the U.S. and other governments.
! ! ! ! ![/quote]

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:51 pm

Earth's sixth mass extinction event under way, scientists warn.
A “biological annihilation” of wildlife in recent decades means a sixth mass extinction in Earth’s history is under way and is more severe than previously feared, according to research.

Scientists analysed both common and rare species and found billions of regional or local populations have been lost. They blame human overpopulation and overconsumption for the crisis and warn that it threatens the survival of human civilisation, with just a short window of time in which to act.

The study, published in the peer-reviewed journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, eschews the normally sober tone of scientific papers and calls the massive loss of wildlife a “biological annihilation” that represents a “frightening assault on the foundations of human civilisation”.

Prof Gerardo Ceballos, at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, who led the work, said: “The situation has become so bad it would not be ethical not to use strong language.”

Previous studies have shown species are becoming extinct at a significantly faster rate than for millions of years before, but even so extinctions remain relatively rare giving the impression of a gradual loss of biodiversity. The new work instead takes a broader view, assessing many common species which are losing populations all over the world as their ranges shrink, but remain present elsewhere.

The scientists found that a third of the thousands of species losing populations are not currently considered endangered and that up to 50% of all individual animals have been lost in recent decades. Detailed data is available for land mammals, and almost half of these have lost 80% of their range in the last century. The scientists found billions of populations of mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians have been lost all over the planet, leading them to say a sixth mass extinction has already progressed further than was thought.

The scientists conclude: “The resulting biological annihilation obviously will have serious ecological, economic and social consequences. Humanity will eventually pay a very high price for the decimation of the only assemblage of life that we know of in the universe.”...
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:04 pm

The scumbaggery doesn't end with these "people".
We have every reason to fear Trump’s pick to head NASA

Posted on 6 November 2017 by dana1981
Unlike past Nasa administrators, Trump nominee Jim Bridenstine doesn’t have a scientific background. He’s a Republican Congressman from Oklahoma and former Navy pilot. He also has a history of denying basic climate science. That’s concerning because Nasa does some of the world’s best climate science research, and Bridenstine previously introduced legislation that would eliminate Earth science from Nasa’s mission statement.

At his Senate hearing last week, Bridenstine tried to remake his image. He said that his previous science-denying, politically polarizing comments came with the job of being a Republican congressman, and that as Nasa administrator he would be apolitical. A kinder, gentler Bridenstine. But while he softened his climate science denial, his proclaimed new views remain in line with the rest of the harshly anti-science Trump administration. That’s very troubling
https://skepticalscience.com/every-reas ... -pick.html

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:11 pm

Sorry. I know I seemed to be picking on right-wingers in the opening. Of course this is everyone's issue.
Ice does not understand the concept of liberal or conservative, it simply melts. Former Oceanographer of the Navy, Admiral David Titley has made this simple but important point when talking about the ridiculous political divide on climate change. Dr. Titley, now a professor at Pennsylvania State University, has a point. I too have been surprised by why many people align their climate change opinions along party lines with very little thought about it. A recent study continues to point to political polarization on climate change
https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshallsh ... 9b0c9825fa

Please don't support scumbaggery just because the people involved are tenuously "on your side".

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:26 am

Fuck the animals. Let them go extinct. Oil's more important.
Powerful lawmaker wants to ‘invalidate’ the Endangered Species Act. He’s getting close.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene ... ca159ae794

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:51 am

Animavore wrote:Fuck the animals. Let them go extinct. Oil's more important.
Powerful lawmaker wants to ‘invalidate’ the Endangered Species Act. He’s getting close.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene ... ca159ae794
Jesus, that is hardcore. I thought the repeal of the bill that prevented hunters from shooting hibernating bears was ruthless.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:10 pm

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:18 pm

The plants and animals will dance and sing. When we are gone. The survivors.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:58 pm

This is what we all should be doing.

#VoteNoToEcocidalManiacsWhereverTheyOccur

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:31 pm

I agree with what you're saying, but this:
Animavore wrote:So now the US has a government which sees fit to exasperate the problem by supporting their fossil industry backers. By using tax payer money to subsidise coal.
"now"? They've had a government like that for a long time. While it is right to call out Trump and the Republicans for what they are doing, the Democrats have been only slightly less destructive.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:55 pm

pErvinalia wrote:I agree with what you're saying, but this:
Animavore wrote:So now the US has a government which sees fit to exasperate the problem by supporting their fossil industry backers. By using tax payer money to subsidise coal.
"now"? They've had a government like that for a long time. While it is right to call out Trump and the Republicans for what they are doing, the Democrats have been only slightly less destructive.
It's more that the subsidies to coal of the past were at least on a trend of being reduced, and without Trump the trend would have continued, instead of being radically reversed...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:40 am

Animavore wrote:Image
I saw that quote and thought it was just too ridiculous to be accurate. I thought he must be referring to heavily filtered air in houses, or something like that. No, he really did say that, and he really was referring to the atmosphere.