Goings-on in North Korea

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Re: Goings-on in North Korea

Post by Seabass » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:26 am

JimC wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:11 am
But at least he's normal right, and not alt right... :tea:
I dunno about that. He has on numerous occasions linked to "news" sites that have been known to peddle alt-right conspiracy nonsense like pizzagate, birtherism, and crisis acting. If he's not alt-right, he's at least alt-right adjacent.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:40 am

Seabass wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:26 am
JimC wrote:
I dunno about that. He has on numerous occasions linked to "news" sites that have been known to peddle alt-right conspiracy nonsense like pizzagate, birtherism, and crisis acting. If he's not alt-right, he's at least alt-right adjacent.
To be fair, he has only ever quoted the saner bits (though nonetheless most of us would disagree with their slant) of those sites and he has never subscribed to nonsense like pizzagate, birtherism, et cetera. 42 is just a few degrees to the right of Jim. ( Image )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:49 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:18 am
I'm certainly a slob.
welcome to my world :smoke:
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:04 pm

Seabass wrote:
JimC wrote:
"Numerous" occasions? Oh, come on. Stop it. I linked to a video that was on some site like infowars - but the video was the video - I never linked to any such "alt right conspiracy" website as proof of anything. I have never "peddled any conspiracy nonsense" ever, and the suggestion that I have is self-serving bullshit.

I never supported pizzagate, and never gave it an ounce of credibility.
I never was a birther, and I always accepted that Obama was born in Hawaii.
And, I have never posted anything, ever, about crisis acting, nor have I seen any credible reports of it.

Numerous occasions, my ass.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:18 pm

Hermit wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:40 am
Seabass wrote:
JimC wrote:
To be fair, he has only ever quoted the saner bits (though nonetheless most of us would disagree with their slant) of those sites and he has never subscribed to nonsense like pizzagate, birtherism, et cetera. 42 is just a few degrees to the right of Jim. ( Image )
Thank you, at least for that. And, I wind up moderate libertarian on the political chart. Every time I take that political compass test, I wind up right there on the vertical line, and about half-way between the middle dot and the bottom of the chart. Right about where I wound up today, after taking the quiz again just now.
political compass chart.png
Forty Two Political Compass
political compass chart.png (15.21 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:20 pm

If I'm "alt right" or "alt right adjacent", then those accusing me of that are living at the left pole, where every direction away from them is to the right. Image

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:33 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:18 pm
Hermit wrote:
Seabass wrote:
JimC wrote:
Thank you, at least for that. And, I wind up moderate libertarian on the political chart. Every time I take that political compass test, I wind up right there on the vertical line, and about half-way between the middle dot and the bottom of the chart. Right about where I wound up today, after taking the quiz again just now.Image
That political compass thingie places me in the bottom left corner. :roll: Says more about the quiz than me - and you.

You advocate Milton Friedman's economic, social and political stance, and you support Trump who destroys the EPA, appoints extreme conservatives like de Vos, cuts funding to family planning because it provides abortion services, objects to an Indiana born judge because of his Mexican heritage and pursues other right wing policies. That makes you a right-winger.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:40 pm

Hermit wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:43 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:10 pm
On what basis do you say that? What are the right winger views you think I subscribe to?
Milton Friedman and Trump supporter. 'Nough said.
Milton Friedman was not a "right winger." He used to say, all the time, that he's pro free market, not pro business or pro corporations.
You must separate out being “pro free-enterprise” from being “pro-business.” The two greatest enemies of the free enterprise system in my opinion have been on one hand my fellow intellectuals, and on the other hand, the big businessmen – for opposite reasons. Almost every businessman is in favor of free enterprise for everybody else, but special privilege and special government protection for himself. As a result, they have been a major force in undermining the free enterprise system. Stop kidding yourself into thinking you can use the business community as a way to promote free enterprise. Unfortunately, most of them are not our friends in that respect.
- Milton Friedman.

I hold no brief for large corporations, whose inefficiencies, complacencies, and anti-competitive tendencies often drive me as crazy as the next man. Like Milton Friedman, I notice that ‘business corporations in general are not defenders of free enterprise. On the contrary, they are one of the chief sources of danger.’ They are addicted to corporate welfare, they love regulations that erect barriers to entry to their small competitors, they yearn for monopoly and they grow flabby and inefficient with age.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/artcarden/ ... ab8c272131

And, no matter what you think of Trump, he is less right wing than Republican alternative that was out there at the time, and that is out there now. I do disagree with some of what Trump does and says -- he has been pushing pro-Life positions, and I oppose that. He is rude and crude and classless, and I wish he wasn't. But many of his policies have been quite good, and have really helped the economy. we are now seeing predictions of 4% GDP growth - 4%! And, unemployment down to near 50 year lows. Half a century lows.

And think of his foreign policy. We're in our second Trump year, and there isn't a hint of another war. He finished off ISIS, just like he said. We're not going into Syria. And, while he used bluster and threat, and economic weapons to get Kim to the negotiating table, we are going the route of peace with North Korea.

But the question was what policy positions do I have that are "right winger" or "alt right." I'm not racist in the least, which is a feature of the alt-right. I am pro equality, and antidiscrimination. This doesn't make me an alt-right person.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:52 pm

Hermit wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:33 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:18 pm
Hermit wrote:
Seabass wrote:
JimC wrote:
Thank you, at least for that. And, I wind up moderate libertarian on the political chart. Every time I take that political compass test, I wind up right there on the vertical line, and about half-way between the middle dot and the bottom of the chart. Right about where I wound up today, after taking the quiz again just now.Image
That political compass thingie places me in the bottom left corner. :roll: Says more about the quiz than me - and you.

You advocate Milton Friedman's economic, social and political stance, and you support Trump who destroys the EPA, appoints extreme conservatives like de Vos, cuts funding to family planning because it provides abortion services, objects to an Indiana born judge because of his Mexican heritage and pursues other right wing policies. That makes you a right-winger.
Well, yes, as to Milton Friedman, because he is correct, and one of the most respected economists of the last 100 years.

Anyway, I think if the political compass test puts you all the way to the left side of the chart, then the reason you think of me as "right winger" when I'm dead-bang center and moderately libertarian, is because you are so far left. If you're on the left edge of the chart, pretty much everyone else is to the right of you.

And, that's o.k. I'm happy to talk with, interact with and be friends with people that are so far left it would make Marx look like a free marketeer. It's o.k. to disagree, unless one thinks we're in a war that needs to be won, and that those crazy "wingers" of whatever other "wing" need to be driven out or put in their place.

Be as left as you like. If we disagree, let's talk about areas of agreement and disagreement. Let's talk about why we believe as we do. What are our premises? What are our assumptions? That's what makes a discussion forum valuable and worthwhile.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:20 pm
If I'm "alt right" or "alt right adjacent", then those accusing me of that are living at the left pole, where every direction away from them is to the right. Image
:lol:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:16 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:40 pm
But the question was what policy positions do I have that are "right winger" or "alt right." I'm not racist in the least, which is a feature of the alt-right. I am pro equality, and antidiscrimination. This doesn't make me an alt-right person.
You do seem to have difficulty accepting that women face significant hurdles and barriers to entry in our societies.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:50 pm

All they gotta do is flash a bit of leg. What's so hard about that?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:55 pm

I'm about in the middle of the green square, last time I did it...

Which means about as much as what I had for breakfast this morning...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:02 am

Forty Two wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:04 pm
Seabass wrote:
JimC wrote:
"Numerous" occasions? Oh, come on. Stop it. I linked to a video that was on some site like infowars - but the video was the video - I never linked to any such "alt right conspiracy" website as proof of anything.
No, you stop it. Stop downplaying the extent to which you use these far-right garbage websites to support your arguments and your ideology.

As Hermit has shown here:
http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 7#p1745717
you have a long history of linking to extreme, hyperpartisan, far-right websites that are well known for playing fast and loose with the truth.

And his list isn't comprehensive.

You have linked to Newsbusters on 24 occasions:
http://www.rationalia.com/forum/search. ... ewsbusters
NewsBusters, a website "dedicated to exposing & combating liberal media bias" is owned by L. Brent Bozell III who is a far-right looney who once said Obama looks like a "skinny ghetto crackhead".

A forum search for "zerohedge" yields 14 results with your name on them:
http://www.rationalia.com/forum/search. ... =zerohedge
wikipedia wrote:Zero Hedge's content has been classified as "alt-right", anti-establishment, conspiratorial, and economically pessimistic, and has been criticized for presenting extreme and sometimes pro-Russian views.
You once linked to True Pundit:
http://www.rationalia.com/forum/viewtop ... 0#p1684090
True Pundit, like all these other sites that you like, is pure trash:
https://truepundit.com/video-outspoken- ... nt-bureau/

And of course you linked to a Mike Fucking Cernovich video for god's sake.

I'm sure I could find more if I wanted to keep digging, but that'll do for now.

Just own up to it, dude. Admit to what you are, and stop trying to pass yourself off as something that you obviously aren't.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:13 am

Don't forget his love affair with Jordan Petersen. That guy is fucking nuts.