The lynching of Harvey Weinstein

devogue

The lynching of Harvey Weinstein

Post by devogue » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:20 pm

It really is horrifying to witness the extrajudicial downfall of Harvey Weinstein.

In a sophisticated civilisation, is it not a fundamental tenet that issues of criminality be treated with the utmost rigour ad seriousness within the framework of a legal system?

While it seems that there may be plenty of fire creating this smoke, Weinstein's right to defend himself is being destroyed by a media clamour fuelled by Hollywood stars.

If Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie were assaulted by him then they should press charges against him. They should not get a free pass to make such serious claims in the media, and the New Yorkers claim of multiple rapes should not be used to sell papers with shock value but should also be reported to the police so judicial action can proceed. As for the torrent of disowning and condemnation from Ben Affleck, George Clooney and others, they should be silent at this stage. Their comments add nothing but extra hysteria.

We are living in very dangerous times and we need to step back. Harvey Weinstein's right to due process, to a calm, methodical weighing of the evidence against him is paramount - he may indeed be guilty but the media need to step the fuck back and allow some air in to this.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Re: The lynching of Harvey Weinstein

Post by cronus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm

He hasn't produced much lately. Deserves a fall having produced so much hyper-violent 'entertainment' and I guess, with the arrival of Trump, this is something Hollywood agrees with me. I'm also guessing there's gonna be a sea change in Hollywood movies where 'thinking' comes back in vogue? :tea:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:29 pm

I suppose upwards of three dozen wealthy, successful women who don't need the money or the attention could be making it all up. But it has to go down as somewhat unlikely.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:06 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:I suppose upwards of three dozen wealthy, successful women who don't need the money or the attention could be making it all up. But it has to go down as somewhat unlikely.
:this:

As far as the women pressing charges, either at the time or now, it seems he usually acted when no other witnesses were around, and that it typically involved some groping or masturbation, so no clear forensics...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Feck

Post by Feck » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:29 am

The levels of hypocrisy are overwhelming .
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41589352
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:32 am

While you are right that in an ideal society this shouldn't happen, my care factor is pretty fucking low on the scale of things to get outraged about.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:40 am

Should get more interesting as more and more people talk, and then those people make more and more excuses for not talking earlier.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

devogue

Post by devogue » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:49 am

Tyrannical wrote:Should get more interesting as more and more people talk, and then those people make more and more excuses for not talking earlier.
They don't have to make excuses. They are now exalted as brave.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:59 am

Tyrannical wrote:Should get more interesting as more and more people talk, and then those people make more and more excuses for not talking earlier.
Weinstein. That's a Jewish name, isn't it? And wouldn't you think that makes him guilty?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:06 am

The outrage does seem somewhat out of proportion. He may be a slimeball, but headline news?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:17 am

Well, while the news are all over that particular slimeball, they are not covering worse ones which are still in activity and which desire relative obscurity (very relative when it's Frump and Tuppence)
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:00 am

devogue wrote:It really is horrifying to witness the extrajudicial downfall of Harvey Weinstein.
Lynching, huh? Poor Harvey. Through his spokesperson, Sally Hofmeister, he let it be known that "Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein" and "Mr. Weinstein believes that all of these relationships were consensual." So, no actual rapes. At least, that is what she said he believes. But just before he was fired from the company he co-founded Weinstein shot himself in the foot. He sent an email to agents and industry executives, declaring among other things that "A lot of the allegations are false". So, at least some were not by his own admission. Presumably, all the ones alleging actual rapes were, but Weinstein could not bring himself to actually say so.

Finally, there's this clanger: "I came of age in the ’60s and ’70s, when all the rules about behaviour and workplaces were different. That was the culture then.

I have since learned it’s not an excuse, in the office – or out of it." Hey, Harvey, it's 2017 this year. Accepting for the sake of your argument that sexual harassment was OK in the 60s and 70s, who do you expect to believe you that it took you 37 years to discover that "the rules about behaviour and workplaces" had changed?

Harvey Weinstein is guilty of being a monstrous sexual predator, and you don't need a concurring verdict from a court of law to figure that out. His own words are sufficient, even before reading his grovelling plea to be given a second chance. And he's not being lynched, ffs. That's just typically Devogueian hyperbole. He's been fired from his job, and not before time.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:26 am

It's natural that public figures get more public scrutiny when they do something wrong.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:43 am

oops double post, sorry
Last edited by Svartalf on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:45 am

Svartalf wrote:Well, while the news are all over that particular slimeball, they are not covering worse ones which are still in activity and which desire relative obscurity (very relative when it's Frump and Tuppence)
Yeah. Let's not forget that the President of the whole nation was caught on tape advocating what Weinstein was doing. Pretty sad state of affairs.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.