Capitalism, The Best Solution to Poverty

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Capitalism, The Best Solution to Poverty

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:18 am

There's three obvious areas of concern for working at home. 1) incorrect desk/computer/chair setup leading to muscular-skeletal problems; 2) old/faulty electrical equipment - workplaces test and tag electrical equipment regularly; and 3) fire plans and fire fighting equipment.

And if I'm honest, I fail on two (the first two) out of those, and probably the third one too. My desk is too small so I'm cramped, and my chair is on a lean. And I have a small power station worth of electrical leads all plugged into effectively one power point. I have a 10 year old fire extinguisher that may or may not work in the case of a fire.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:35 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:34 am
Perhaps, but working from home doesn't stop you having a social life does it?
Technically not, but it still discourages going out and takes away lots of oportunities.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:28 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:35 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Technically not, but it still discourages going out and takes away lots of oportunities.
For many it is part of social life and something that is also separate from family life
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:47 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:28 pm
Svartalf wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
For many it is part of social life and something that is also separate from family life
That's one of the reasons why most people who have been working from home in Oz want some sort of half and half deal, with 2 to 3 days in the office...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:39 pm

JimC wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:47 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:28 pm
Svartalf wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
That's one of the reasons why most people who have been working from home in Oz want some sort of half and half deal, with 2 to 3 days in the office...
Exactly! How can you have office affairs.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:52 pm

with your actual mate, or maybe the postperson?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:57 pm

Just go to the yearly Christmas party. I'm wondering who I can bonk at ours.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:58 pm

Well....

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:00 pm

I remember the time we had a typing pool. A good source...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:06 am

And the great thing was that they couldn't say "No" because you were technically their superior. :tea:

___

The thing with remote working, which has been on the increase generally and has just been massively ramped up during the pandemic, has certain benefits for employers. The main one is the potential reduction in office costs - rented or owned. Rents in the commercial sector are as outrageous as they are in the private residential sector and in the UK we've seen massive commercial landlords like Alan Sugar and Jeremy Hunt (:spit:) popping up all over to tell us that people really enjoy their office drudgery and want to rush back to work for the "buzz". With less office space required that also means less office furniture, intranets, cleaning service, lower running costs etc.

There might be gains to be made from expanding the labour pool that an employer can draw on from outside their immediate geographical, commutable area. The best people for the job could be hired without having to deal with relocation issues.

Another might be general productivity gains from not having all those distracting co-workers around to talk to and/or goof-off with. I used to work at a place where one particular employee seemed to spend their entire day walking around with an important piece of paper in their hand and dropping in to various offices for a coffee and a chat. How many of us who've worked in an office have secretly thought that it usually took us all day to half a day's work because of all the distractions and a seemingly endless round of pointless meetings. And who's going to object to an extra hour-and-a-half in bed and dodging that hour's commute at the beginning and end of the day?

I would imagine that the number of fake sick days lost, that people often take for the sake of their mental health, or even when you wake up with an heroic hangover after 'accidentally' getting shitfaced the night before and worry that you'll not make it through the commute without chucking your breakfast, would be reduced. Just log-on in your PJs with a Lemsip and give it an hour or two - you'll be fine after another pint of water, 45 minutes on the loo, and three-quarters of a bacon butty, and nobody is going to rib you for 6 months for being in a shambles one day, or get a written warning from that office Hitler who's had it in for you since you called out their bullshit at a meeting three years ago.

Flexibility could be easier to manage as well. Imagine working an extra hour on Monday and Tuesday so you can take a couple of hours off on Wednesday to go and watch your kid play sport, get to a hospital appointment, or just meet your mum for coffee.

The impact of workplace stress is detrimental to your well-being and your productivity. I used to work in health service admin and the stress levels there were, frankly, ridiculous up and down the system and often the result of other people's stresses being passed around like an evil chain-letter or a virulent infection. I often found myself noting that a system that referred to itself as a 'caring profession' showed very little care or regard for the well-being of those operating the system - which of course had a knock-on effect on the actual delivery of actual care to the people who actually needed it.

This is not to say that there aren't issues and pitfalls for both employees and employers from remote working, but an awful lot of office work is merely information gathering and data processing and an awful lot of office management is dealing with inter-personal relationship issues, metrics gathering, and re-inventing the wheel for the sake of it - and less of that sort of bullshit could lead to greater efficiencies and a happier workforce.

Then again, I had a manager once who used to say that if you wanted to be happy in your work then you should join the circus - and although we all signed his card when he had a massive heart attack on the way to work one day none of us really had any sympathy, or respect, for him.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:48 am

That is British working and management conditions which are not considered good working practices. I thoroughly enjoyed working at my office. What would I get in its place by working from home? Very little.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:29 am

You'd get money and be a bit more in charge of your own time. Then again you would, along with everyone, probably not benefit from
the kind of status and perks one can gain from office politiking - you might end up being promoted on the basis of the work you do rather than tattle-taling on others or letting the head of department beat you at golf three times of year.

:)
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:13 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:29 am
You'd get money and be a bit more in charge of your own time. Then again you would, along with everyone, probably not benefit from
the kind of status and perks one can gain from office politiking - you might end up being promoted on the basis of the work you do rather than tattle-taling on others or letting the head of department beat you at golf three times of year.

:)
I was in charge of my own time. We had to act almost as a subcontractor. My work was always project based.The project manager would ask for a tender to complete part of a project. You would negotiate the costs and timing. When and how I did it was up to me so long as I met the deadline and stayed within budget. Also if you met performance index everybody was happy.
There was no promotion available to me. I know tittle tattling is common in British offices but I never experienced it in my working life here. Maybe because of the polder model.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:53 am

The myth of the free market:

To reverse inequality, we need to expose the myth of the ‘free market’
Robert Reich wrote:We need an informed public that sees through the poisonous myth billionaires want us to believe: that income is a measure of your market worth

How have a relative handful of billionaires – whose vast fortunes have soared even during the pandemic – convinced the vast majority of the public that their wealth shouldn’t be taxed in order to support the common good?

They have employed one of the oldest methods used by the wealthy to maintain wealth and power – a belief system that portrays wealth and power in the hands of a few as natural and inevitable.

Centuries ago it was the so-called “divine right of kings”. King James I of England and France’s Louis XIV, among other monarchs, asserted that kings received their authority from God and were therefore not accountable to their earthly subjects. The doctrine ended with England’s Glorious Revolution of the 17th century and the American and French revolutions of the 18th.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:37 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:53 am
The myth of the free market:

To reverse inequality, we need to expose the myth of the ‘free market’
Robert Reich wrote:We need an informed public that sees through the poisonous myth billionaires want us to believe: that income is a measure of your market worth

How have a relative handful of billionaires – whose vast fortunes have soared even during the pandemic – convinced the vast majority of the public that their wealth shouldn’t be taxed in order to support the common good?

They have employed one of the oldest methods used by the wealthy to maintain wealth and power – a belief system that portrays wealth and power in the hands of a few as natural and inevitable.

Centuries ago it was the so-called “divine right of kings”. King James I of England and France’s Louis XIV, among other monarchs, asserted that kings received their authority from God and were therefore not accountable to their earthly subjects. The doctrine ended with England’s Glorious Revolution of the 17th century and the American and French revolutions of the 18th.
And a peculiarly American twist to this is the constant peddling of the myth that anybody can become a millionaire, all it takes is grit and hard work, and that any threat to the free market or higher taxes on the rich will cruel your chance of making it to the top...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!