Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Whose Hard Brexit do you want to get shafted by?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Labour's Hard Brexit!
No votes
Tory Hard Brexit
13%
Cheese or bacon or something
88%

Total votes: 8

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Re: Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Post by mistermack » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:13 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:What is funny about distorting my post.
Your post is wrong by a factor of ten. Now that's what I CALL a way off target.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:24 pm

mistermack wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:What is funny about distorting my post.
Your post is wrong by a factor of ten. Now that's what I CALL a way off target.
So not as bad as you are. Never mind I am glad I gave you something to laugh about. Small minds. :funny:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:22 pm

May doing another U turn:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:40 pm

Labour is to announce a dramatic policy shift by backing continued membership of the EU single market beyond March 2019, when Britain leaves the EU, establishing a clear dividing line with the Tories on Brexit for the first time.

In a move that positions it decisively as the party of “soft Brexit”, Labour will support full participation in the single market and customs union during a lengthy “transitional period” that it believes could last between two and four years after the day of departure, it is to announce on Sunday.

This will mean that under a Labour government the UK would continue to abide by the EU’s free movement rules, accept the jurisdiction of the European court of justice on trade and economic issues, and pay into the EU budget for a period of years after Brexit, in the hope of lessening the shock of leaving to the UK economy. In a further move that will delight many pro-EU Labour backers, Jeremy Corbyn’s party will also leave open the option of the UK remaining a member of the customs union and single market for good, beyond the end of the transitional period.

Permanent long-term membership would only be considered if a Labour government could by then have persuaded the rest of the EU to agree to a special deal on immigration and changes to freedom of movement rules....

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2017 ... _clipboard
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:03 am

Somebody has got Corbyn by the balls here. He would never agree to that. He wants his little Maoist kingdom run by Momentum.
What Labour is proposing there is a temporary withdraw from the EU to rejoin in a few years time. The UK cant survive outside the EU well the whole nation cant. The 1% will always survive. A special deal on immigration? Just apply the present EU rules. There does not have to be a special deal if the UK pulls the finger out and organises itself but it is bloody lazy thinking the EU will do it for it.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:48 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Somebody has got Corbyn by the balls here. He would never agree to that. He wants his little Maoist kingdom run by Momentum.
What Labour is proposing there is a temporary withdraw from the EU to rejoin in a few years time. The UK cant survive outside the EU well the whole nation cant. The 1% will always survive. A special deal on immigration? Just apply the present EU rules. There does not have to be a special deal if the UK pulls the finger out and organises itself but it is bloody lazy thinking the EU will do it for it.
After Brexit, Brits will allowed to live in the EU.
If they can prove that they support themselves, and have medical insurance.
...just like anyone else fleeing economic and political disaster in their home countries.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:24 am

rainbow wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Somebody has got Corbyn by the balls here. He would never agree to that. He wants his little Maoist kingdom run by Momentum.
After Brexit, Brits will allowed to live in the EU.
If they can prove that they support themselves, and have medical insurance.
...just like anyone else fleeing economic and political disaster in their home countries.
Well just about. They become third country citizens which is slightly different, actually a lot different.

EEA citizens
They can reside here up to three months without a entry permit. And the end of the three months you have to apply for a resident permit (this bit the UK forgot about) which lasts five years. To apply they have work or own funds than can support them during their stay otherwise you are requested to return to your country. They also have join the Dutch health system.

Non EU citizens.
They have to apply for an entrance visa (TEV) in their own country at an Dutch embassy or Consulate. The Immigration Service will judge your request. If it is judge positively you are allowed in. On entry you must immediately go to the Immigration service office and collect your residence permit which is valid for three months. If you want to stay longer you have to apply for a extended residence permit (MMV). You must also pass the Citizen and language examinations. You can do these exams in your own country prior to entering the Netherlands.
There are countries that dont require an MMV but do require a residents permit.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:52 am

Will the Brits retain EEA status after Brexit?
I don't think it is foregone.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:17 pm

rainbow wrote:Will the Brits retain EEA status after Brexit?
It looks at the present they will not. It is looking very much like a very hard Brexit.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:39 pm

I think it's probably Momentum which has turned his head. There was a thing in the Guardian the other day about how the Momentum group are attracting a lot of new members and polling them hard on policy. It seems like an attempt to do politics the old-fashioned way, you know, by encouraging politicians to represent the concerns and beliefs of real people. How novel.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:42 pm

rainbow wrote:Will the Brits retain EEA status after Brexit?
it isn't. But I'm sure Boris will sort himself out so he can continue to enjoy his home in France.

Frank Zappa

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:45 pm

I'm not sure that Corbyn will get votes out of this.
It's leaving but not leaving. All of the worst bits, without the bits that people actually voted for.

I would have a lot more respect for them, if they said they would stand for election on a no-brexit agenda.
They could easily say that they have looked at Brexit, and have decided it's better not to do it.

Personally, I'm still for a real Brexit, when Britain is still sovereign, and makes it's own decisions, without deals, which it can change, reverse, increase, decrease, as it likes without having to do a deal abroad.
Consultations by all means, deals no.

But I would rather scrap Brexit than have a soft Brexit.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:34 am

What does it matter? I'm guessing you probably won't be voting for any party who wants to retain any ties with the EU - which will leave you with some fringe elements or an independent.

Frank Zappa

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:27 am

Faraging for some other option, "to farage" being a conflation of "false" and "forage".

Let the niggeling commence.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould