Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Whose Hard Brexit do you want to get shafted by?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Labour's Hard Brexit!
No votes
Tory Hard Brexit
13%
Cheese or bacon or something
88%

Total votes: 8

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Post by JimC » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:06 pm

No more fighting, you two! :lay:

It's sibling parties... :smug:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 am

No Jim.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:33 am

Screws are being turned:

Brexit must be delayed unless deal is struck ‘by the end of the year’, European Parliament chief warns
Guy Verhofstadt dismisses Theresa May's proposals for customs and the Irish border - and warns: 'You cannot go beyond 2018'

Brexit would have to be delayed unless a deal is struck by the end of the year because the European Parliament will run out of time to vote on it, MPs have been told.

Guy Verhofstadt, the parliament’s Brexit coordinator, said it needed to begin scrutinising any agreement at least three months before exit day – which is March 29 next year.

Asked to give the deadline for a deal, he replied: “Before the end of the year. That is the ultimate date, otherwise we cannot be assured to have a vote in plenary in March.”

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:31 pm

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:24 pm

I stuck your sig into google translate. Made me wonder why you post here at all if that is your view of people here.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:12 am

Rum wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:24 pm
I stuck your sig into google translate. Made me wonder why you post here at all if that is your view of people here.
Does it say people here? Nope. How was the word "iedereen" translated? Another curious Dutch word with many meanings. Dutch is just full of them. Ok it is a typical Dutch phrase that requires cultural knowledge of the Hague's Schilderswijk (The Painters Quartier). It is just a bit fun no worse than many sigs.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:38 am

Google translate it as 'everyone is a cancer cock'.

As someone who had penile cancer some years ago it gave me a bit of a jolt to say the least. Not that you were to know of course - but it does read as if you are insulting the whole forum membership - sneakily in Dutch.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:38 am

Rum wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:38 am
Google translate it as 'everyone is a cancer cock'.

As someone who had penile cancer some years ago it gave me a bit of a jolt to say the least. Not that you were to know of course - but it does read as if you are insulting the whole forum membership - sneakily in Dutch.
It does not mean that but that is literal translating for you. As I said it is a culture thing. I am not insulting anyone and as least no more than plenty here does.

Dutch profanity

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:44 am

The 1% still holding on:

Anti-Brexit march to draw tens of thousands to London
As Boris Johnson heaps pressure on Theresa May for ‘full British Brexit’, Westminster protest aims to force second referendum

Tens of thousands of people are expected to descend on Westminster for an anti-Brexit demonstration on Saturday that organisers say is the start of a “strategic pivot” away from opposing it in parliament towards mobilising public opinion in favour of a referendum on the final deal.
The People’s Vote protest, due to start at 12pm and go from Pall Mall to Parliament Square, has been organised by increasingly well-funded anti-Brexit groups based at Millbank Tower and led by Open Britain, the successor to the remain campaign.

A People’s Vote spokesperson said the two years since the referendum had been characterised by “arcane parliamentary manoeuvres about this amendment or that amendment” and it was time to take the issue “beyond Westminster and back to the people”.

It comes as pro-Brexit cabinet ministers attempted to pressurise Theresa May to deliver a hard Brexit and not to hesitate from abandoning talks with Brussels.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:48 am

The Brexiteers could not care less.

Airbus plans UK job cuts amid fears of hard Brexit impact
No-deal scenario directly threatens future in the UK, says Airbus COO Tom Williams

Airbus has confirmed it is considering cutting thousands of jobs in the UK as it starts to “press the button on crisis actions” over concerns about Brexit.

The company said it could ditch plans to build aircraft wings in British factories over concerns that EU regulations will no longer apply from March 2019 and uncertainty over customs procedures, instead opting to transfer production to North America, China or elsewhere in the EU.
Airbus, which directly employs 14,000 people at 25 sites in Britain and supports more than 100,000 jobs in the wider supply chain, also said a no-deal scenario would lead to “catastrophic” consequences , which could cost the company billions of pounds in delays. The firm also said it was considering stockpiling billions of pounds of parts to prepare for Brexit disruption.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:19 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:48 am
The Brexiteers could not care less.
On the other hand the Poms will eventually have to go to the EU cap-in-hand asking for a trade deal.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:29 am

That is the unthinkable for the Brexiteers. They just keep on dreaming how they would like the withdrawal agreement and forget that the EU has too approve it. For them it is a lovely cherry cake which they are going make and eat it.

When in fact it will be at the most this:

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:42 am

This delusion of power is so obvious:

Brexit: Theresa May 'not bluffing' in threat to leave EU without a deal, Tory minister Liam Fox says
New threat to Brussels comes as leading businesses mull cutting UK jobs over Brexit risk

Theresa May is not "bluffing" when she threatens to take the UK out of the European Union without a deal, a senior cabinet minister has said.

Liam Fox, the international trade secretary, said the prime minister was ready to walk away without an agreement as part of her commitment to deliver a "people's Brexit".

The government is committed to its policy of "no deal is better than a bad deal", he added, telling the EU it needs to "understand that and believe it".

His warning comes as cabinet ministers battle for control of the Brexit process ahead of a key meeting at Chequers next month.

He added: "If we were to leave, the economic impact on a number of European countries would be severe. Countries like Ireland, countries like the Netherlands, countries like Belgium - would really feel the impact of that and that cannot be what the European Union 27 actually want to see.

"This ultimately has to be about an economic and a people's Brexit, not a bureaucrat's Brexit.

"I think our negotiating partners would not be wise if they believed that the prime minister was bluffing."
May would make a terrible poker player.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:42 am

May is a suicide pilot. She was orphaned in sudden tragic circumstances early in life and wants everyone to suffer as she suffered. That is her goal.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:22 pm

As I've said before, Brexiteers are just looking for the love they never had as children.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT