Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Whose Hard Brexit do you want to get shafted by?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Labour's Hard Brexit!
No votes
Tory Hard Brexit
13%
Cheese or bacon or something
88%

Total votes: 8

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Post by Hermit » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:13 am

Rum wrote:
JimC wrote:I would testify for you, Rum:

"Stone the crows, he's not a bad old bludger, for a Pom..."

:hehe:
No higher praise. :{D
Since John Howard toughened the citizenship test you you will need to prepare yourself for successfully executing the following task. You'll be led to a flock of 100 sheep. You will be told to guide the pretty ones into pen A and the ugly ones into pen B. If you get 75% of them into the correct pens you will pass, and you are up for the initiation: spending 40 hours spread over five days in The Barrel.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:38 am

I have Welsh parentage - so part one will be a cinch.

I have no idea what the second part is about but it sounds vaguely ominous... :shifty:

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:24 am

Rum wrote:I have Welsh parentage - so part one will be a cinch.

I have no idea what the second part is about but it sounds vaguely ominous... :shifty:
Having arrived in Australia well before John Howard got his mitts on the tiller I cannot tell you anything from first-hand experience. Apparently, impressed by statistics proving that nine out of ten people enjoyed gang rapes, and mindful of Jeremy Bentham's utilitarian principle, he lit upon the concept of "The Barrel".

There exists this report of a prototype design testing its efficacy. "I arrived in Perth, Western Australia, via ship from Southport. Immediately after passing the sheep test I was sent to work at an open-cut mine in the far north. The workmates were great, but in addition to the hot weather and tough working conditions, there was another drawback: No entertainment whatsoever. Or so I thought. My new friends soon corrected me about my misapprehension. After six 12-hour shifts in as many days they introduced me to a barrel behind the 40-foot containers where the dozers were serviced. "What am I supposed to do with that", I asked. "Where's the entertainment value?" "Just stick your cock in the hole" said Bruce. "You'll love it." I did, and yes, it was great. So I said as much, and asked if I could do the same thing again on my next day off. "Yes and no", said Bruce. You'll be here alright on your next day off, but on that occasion you'll be the one inside the barrel."

Howard improved and expanded the concept, but apart from the 8 x 5 extension I already told you about, details are impossible to obtain. Do let me know what you discovered after your arrival.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:44 am

I believe you have to wrestle a crocodile and play with a cockatoo.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:55 am

pErvinalia wrote:I believe you have to wrestle a crocodile and play with a cock a too.
..more to the point it seems!

..and I walked straight into that one hermit. Happy to be your straight man.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:05 pm

cock or two... ;)
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:28 pm

pErvinalia wrote:I believe you have to wrestle a crocodile and play with a cockatoo.
Is there a vegetarian option?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:59 pm

These two paragraphs of the proposed agreement (it still has to get ratification from the EU27) will screw the UK:
49. The United Kingdom remains committed to protecting North-South cooperation and to its guarantee of avoiding a hard border. Any future arrangements must be compatible with these overarching requirements. The United Kingdom's intention is to achieve these objectives through the overall EU-UK relationship. Should this not be possible, the United Kingdom will propose specific solutions to address the unique circumstances of the island of Ireland. In the absence of agreed solutions, the United Kingdom will maintain full alignment with those rules of the Internal Market and the Customs Union which, now or in the future, support North-South cooperation, the all-island economy and the protection of the 1998 Agreement.

50. In the absence of agreed solutions, as set out in the previous paragraph, the United Kingdom will ensure that no new regulatory barriers develop between Northern Ireland and the rest of the United Kingdom, unless, consistent with the 1998 Agreement, the Northern Ireland Executive and Assembly agree that distinct arrangements are appropriate for Northern Ireland. In all circumstances, the United Kingdom will continue to ensure the same unfettered access for Northern Ireland's businesses to the whole of the United Kingdom internal market.
The UK has to do the impossible. No border and keep the UK market open to NI while NI has an open border with the EU.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:06 pm

The ardent Brexiteers are obviously unsure of their response. I suspect Duncan-Smith to set out their stall in the next couple of days. A leadership challenage may also be in the offing for early next year, though frankly I'm surprised she's lasted this long.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:23 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:I believe you have to wrestle a crocodile and play with a cockatoo.
Is there a vegetarian option?
I understand it involves Vegemite and a didgeridoo.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:24 pm

Nobody wants the job.

"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:35 pm

For the benefit of those who for good reason don't know the ins and outs of the UK's politics at the moment Teresa May has a minority government - in other words she can't guarantee a majority vote in Parliament. This is why she is beholden to the small group Northern Irish Neanderthal MPs who have agreed to support her through Brexit in exchange for a very large bribe in the form of piping money into NI.

Anyway Mrs May has taken a battering this evening. Her government has been defeated in Parliament over the right to vote on the final Brexit deal - she didn't want it to and the majority did, including some of her own MPs. One wonders how she can continue at this rate. I suspect she will though given that the chalice she holds is full of poison. Even the most ambitious - and there are a few in her cabinet might hesitate to take her job on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42346192

Tory rebels defeat PM over Brexit vote

The government has been narrowly defeated in a key vote on its Brexit bill after a rebellion by Tory MPs.

In a blow to Prime Minister Theresa May, MPs voted to give Parliament a legal guarantee of a vote on the final Brexit deal struck with Brussels.

The government had argued this would jeopardise its chances of delivering a smooth Brexit.

The amendment to the EU Withdrawal Bill tabled by ex-Attorney General Dominic

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:41 pm

This is less of a defeat for the government and more of a win for the principle that the executive exist only by the authority of Parliament. I wrote to my MP twice about this, urging him to see this matter in the round and aside from in purely party political terms. Yes, the executive must drive the legislative program, but in so doing they should not grant themselves powers to undermine the fundamental principle of British representative democracy - that British sovereignty rest with, and is exercised through, Parliament and not through the Cabinet or the PM. The early editions will no doubt see the Daily Mail and its fellow travellers accusing those Tories who stood up for Parliamentary sovereignty this evening of being unpatriotic, traitorous enemies of the people, saboteurs, mutineers, or whatever - but really this is a small affirmation of democratic due process against a background of the broader self-destructive calamity that is Brexit.

Still, not everybody sees it that way...
Tory whips spent the day pressing backbenchers to reject the Grieve amendment, and several of them were called to No 10 in a last-minute attempt to persuade them to change their minds.

Relations with the “mutineers”, as they were dubbed by the Daily Telegraph, have deteriorated so much that some were even threatened with legal action if they made false public remarks about the activities of the government’s whips. At least one potential rebel was warned by Julian Smith, the chief whip, that they could be sued if they made defamatory comments about the whips’ activities.

Another backbencher described the approach of the whips, who are responsible for party discipline, as “bullying junior MPs”Some Tories reacted angrily to what they regarded as their colleagues’ disloyalty, with Conservative MP for Mid-Bedfordshire even calling for them to be deselected for undermining the prime minister.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... heresa-may

Frank Zappa

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:04 am

Well done for getting involved at that level. I’ve written to my MP twice. Slightly less weighty a matter I’m afraid. The sale of fireworks either side of Nov 5th and the terror involved for dogs during that period.

I got a pathetic response.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:32 am

My MP put me on the list for his monthly email newsletter about how brilliant he is! :D

I've found with writing to your MP that the shorter you make it the more likely you are to get a reply, but usually you can only expect an acknowledgement. I always do it through TheyWorkForYou.com, so that data on their responses can be amassed. My MP is an ardent Leaver and voted against the amendment - but I hope I at least put a good case for the legitimacy of the other point of view.

Frank Zappa