Aliens found on Mars!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Aliens found on Mars!

Post by Rum » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:20 am

I am indoctrinated and brainwashed by Aristotle and Plato. Can't help myself but they ask me some of the following:

What is it that can properly be called true or false?
What is the nature of the connection between the assumptions of a valid argument and its conclusion?
What is the nature of definition?

Many of Plato's dialogues concern the search for a definition of some important concept (justice, truth, the Good), and he was impressed by the importance of definition in mathematics - (hre said 'let no one enter here (his school) who is ignorant of geometry). The rules the developed are rigorous and he would not have been impressed by YouTube based 'evidence' - though I am sure he would have admired the amazing science ie have now. He would also have been deeply depressed I suspect that along with that science there continue to be utterly delusional ignoramuses, such as our resident conspiracy theorist who refuse to engage with the wonderful intellectual opportunities he himself helped to establish.

So me is just delusionalled by the Greeks, see?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:27 am

The Greeks never existed. Likewise Australia, where Galaxian is allegedly from:
A conspiracy theory suggesting that Australia – a very real and legitimate country with a population of 24.4 million people – is not real has gone viral on Facebook.
Brad Esposito for BuzzFeed News

Almost 20,000 people have shared the Facebook status, which was written by Shelley Floryd and offers multiple theories as to how Australia is actually "one of the biggest hoaxes ever created."
"Australia does not exist," it reads. "All things you call 'proof' are actually well fabricated lies and documents made by the leading governments of the world. Your Australian friends? They're all actors and computer generated personas, part of the plot to trick the world."

Floryd writes that Australia was actually invented by Britain so it could kill tens of thousands of convicts rather than send them to a country on the other side of the world.

Floryd, who lives in Stockholm, also writes that nearly every person at every level is in on the massive scheme, including airline pilots, who have actually only been flying tourists to islands or "in some cases, parts of South America."

"It was just going to be a short post but I went wild with it and looked up some facts and well, that's how it ended up," Floryd told BuzzFeed News.
Tens of thousands of people have commented on the theory, mostly angry Australians trying in earnest to prove that the country they were born in actually exists.

"A fuckton of Aussies have called me a retard, cunt, idiot, and so on," Floryd said.

"Probably a few thousand have told me they're going to beat me up and I've read some 100 or so death threats.

"One guy said he was going to track my IP to get my address so that he could come fuck me up, so I just sent my address to him instead."

Australia is, of course, real. I know this because I'm in Australia right now, in an office with 30 or so other people who are also in Australia. I could take a picture of the Sydney Harbour Bridge for you, but I don't want to leave the office.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/bradesposito/e ... acy-theory
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:29 am

I knew it! Jim is a figment!!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:48 am

pErvin wrote:The Greeks never existed. Likewise Australia, where Galaxian is allegedly from:
A conspiracy theory suggesting that Australia – a very real and legitimate country with a population of 24.4 million people – is not real has gone viral on Facebook.
Brad Esposito for BuzzFeed News

Almost 20,000 people have shared the Facebook status, which was written by Shelley Floryd and offers multiple theories as to how Australia is actually "one of the biggest hoaxes ever created."
"Australia does not exist," it reads. "All things you call 'proof' are actually well fabricated lies and documents made by the leading governments of the world. Your Australian friends? They're all actors and computer generated personas, part of the plot to trick the world."

Floryd writes that Australia was actually invented by Britain so it could kill tens of thousands of convicts rather than send them to a country on the other side of the world.

Floryd, who lives in Stockholm, also writes that nearly every person at every level is in on the massive scheme, including airline pilots, who have actually only been flying tourists to islands or "in some cases, parts of South America."

"It was just going to be a short post but I went wild with it and looked up some facts and well, that's how it ended up," Floryd told BuzzFeed News.
Tens of thousands of people have commented on the theory, mostly angry Australians trying in earnest to prove that the country they were born in actually exists.

"A fuckton of Aussies have called me a retard, cunt, idiot, and so on," Floryd said.

"Probably a few thousand have told me they're going to beat me up and I've read some 100 or so death threats.

"One guy said he was going to track my IP to get my address so that he could come fuck me up, so I just sent my address to him instead."

Australia is, of course, real. I know this because I'm in Australia right now, in an office with 30 or so other people who are also in Australia. I could take a picture of the Sydney Harbour Bridge for you, but I don't want to leave the office.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/bradesposito/e ... acy-theory
FFS, where's the controversy? Everybody who lives in Australia, has visited the country or even just read about it fucking well knows that it is unreal, man! :roll:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:06 pm

All the people who supposedly live in Australia do actually live in Bielefeld.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I live in a virtual Australia created by the Lizard Lords for their amusement...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:06 pm

My imaginary girlfriend is from imaginary Australia. We're saving ourselves for our imaginary hooneymoon because her imaginary parents are very devout.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:45 am

Well imagine that!

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:00 am

New Zealand is Middle Earth. Seems to make sense to me. :tea:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:04 am

but where in Nûmenor
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:01 am

Where is Galaxian? Has he been 'taken'?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:17 am

I live up over.
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:31 pm

NineBerry wrote:All the people who supposedly live in Australia do actually live in Bielefeld.
What makes it worse is that Bielefeld is actually a Social Construct.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:41 pm

I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Post by Galaxian » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:Where is Galaxian? Has he been 'taken'?
It took a while for your post to arrive almost to Jupiter. Galaxian is relaxing on Ceres, and enjoying the scenery.
Here's a view of where I am:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-A74_TMX8Aj0/V ... -Ceres.png
Here's another post I made while at my station on Ceres. Won't mention to who... don't want to embarrass him, as some on this forum.
Hi Skeptic..... Yes, you've put effort into this site, and I appreciate that. But, starting from the name, "Skeptic....", indicates that it's a site of low repute. You see, these days the word "skeptic" has as much credibility as (say) "feminist" or "radical jihadist", or "bigot"... a bad odor, and rightly so.

In reality, most skeptics are simply closed minded bigots who push the official narrative in virtually all things. They are not really 'truth' seekers, or 'fact finders'. They tend to be lazy-minded naysayers & contrarians, wanting to demolish any unconventional ideas, such as 'the Earth orbits the Sun', or 'Continental drift', or 'God doesn't live in the sky', etc. Of course, those were heresies opposed by skeptics a few years back.

And skeptics continue to ridicule heresies today. There are even chat forums, such as RationalSkepticism, and Rationalia dedicated to bringing together every ratbag denialist under the umbrella of pseudo-profundity & buffoonery. So they're not at the leading edge of thought or research. Their mindset doesn't allow that. They are most comfy in a warm mud bath of mental lassitude, where they don't have to be hurt by ideas that need to be investigated with humility and an agile mind, and where they are surrounded & pandered to by like-minded swamp dwellers who'll reinforce their confirmation bias.

On a practical level, here are some logical fallacies to add to your list, all self explanatory:

Argumentum ad Cognitive Dissonance: When the proposal threaten to shatter your world view, therefore is irrational.

Argumentum ad Bigotry: When one absolutely refuses to research a proposal because it's obviously a waste of time.

Argumentum ad Laziness: Can't be bothered with the proposal. What can I do anyway? I'd rather be unconscious.

Ad infinitum. Ad Nauseam. :td:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian