Right Wing Regressives Need to Stop

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Right Wing Regressives Need to Stop

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:19 am

Forty Two wrote:
pErvin wrote: In Oz your house isn't subject to capital gains tax unless it has been used for investment purposes (i.e. rental returns).
That's outrageous, isn't it? I mean, it should be, right? A capital gains tax of ZERO! What "absurd policy" is that???? No civilized country would tax capital gains at zero....

LOL
What is 'Capital'

Capital refers to financial assets or the financial value of assets, such as funds held in deposit accounts, as well as the tangible machinery and production equipment used in environments such as factories and other manufacturing facilities. Additionally, capital includes facilities, such as the buildings used for the production and storage of the manufactured goods. Materials used and consumed as part of the manufacturing process do not qualify.
BREAKING DOWN 'Capital'

While money is used simply to purchase goods and services for consumption, capital is more durable and is used to generate wealth through investment. Examples of capital include automobiles, patents, software and brand names. All of these items are inputs that can be used to create wealth. Besides being used in production, capital can be rented out for a monthly or annual fee to create wealth, or it can be sold when it is no longer required.
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/capital.asp
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:56 am

pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
pErvin wrote: In Oz your house isn't subject to capital gains tax unless it has been used for investment purposes (i.e. rental returns).
That's outrageous, isn't it? I mean, it should be, right? A capital gains tax of ZERO! What "absurd policy" is that???? No civilized country would tax capital gains at zero....

LOL
What is 'Capital'

Capital refers to financial assets or the financial value of assets, such as funds held in deposit accounts, as well as the tangible machinery and production equipment used in environments such as factories and other manufacturing facilities. Additionally, capital includes facilities, such as the buildings used for the production and storage of the manufactured goods. Materials used and consumed as part of the manufacturing process do not qualify.
BREAKING DOWN 'Capital'

While money is used simply to purchase goods and services for consumption, capital is more durable and is used to generate wealth through investment. Examples of capital include automobiles, patents, software and brand names. All of these items are inputs that can be used to create wealth. Besides being used in production, capital can be rented out for a monthly or annual fee to create wealth, or it can be sold when it is no longer required.
So out of date, as it doesn't include IP.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:23 am

rainbow wrote:
pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:

LOL
What is 'Capital'

BREAKING DOWN 'Capital'

Intellectual property is linked to later in the article. There are also separate articles dealing with IP, such as the one beginning with "Some kinds of intellectual property are considered capital assets..."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:46 am

rainbow wrote:
pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:

LOL
What is 'Capital'

BREAKING DOWN 'Capital'

The point was that a house that you live in and doesn't generate income for you isn't considered capital and therefore is rightly not subject to capital gains tax.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:56 am

I know, I still pay mmassive taxes on the place I live in...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:00 am

Regressiveness is everywhere...
Why are 13 men in charge of healthcare for all American women?

A decade or two ago, the notion that 13 men would be plotting the fate of American women’s healthcare behind closed doors, that they would delight in defunding the women’s health organization Planned Parenthood and impeding healthcare access for millions of American women, would have felt like the politics of a bygone era.

Midway through 2017, it feels more like deja vu ... Specifically, it feels like a return to a kind of regressive gender politics they hoped had passed in America: a politics in which men make the decisions about what happens to women’s bodies.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... _clipboard
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:35 pm

what a dopey article - the same political system governing all health care governs "women's health care" too. It's the same politicians. What's the expectation here? There'd be different elected officials handling certain issues?

And, the complaints about the bill -- nothing over the top here - "cruel" - "partisan attack on women's health." No specifics, of course. Just the broad allegation.

Oh, the President of Planned Parenthood says that if "they" asked the President of Planned Parenthood what she thought, then things would be different? Wow. That's brilliant. You mean a private entity that gets federal funds and wants more federal funds would want even more funds, if they had their 'druthers? Shocker.

The new healthcare bill is said to produce 22 million more uninsured persons in this country...even though Obamacare did not succeed in insuring that many people. LOL.

But, naturally, 22 million more uninsured, yes, but women are "particularly" impacted by it. Yes, it's always worse for women. How? The article does not lay out a case. It's just always worse for women. We know that. It's particularly devastating to women, they say, because the bill would stop requiring states to require insurance companies to pay for contraception as a covered item on health insurance policies. LOL. Wow. Devastating. Men's birth control is not covered now, but unless insurance companies are mandated to cover women's birth control, then that's "particularly devastating" to women. And, the law "blocks" women from getting healthcare FROM PLANNED PARENTHOOD. Because, you know, women can't go to doctors and hospitals under their health plans. We have to fund a private company, planned parenthood, separate and distinct from health insurance, or it's devastating to women.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:38 pm

pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:

LOL
What is 'Capital'

BREAKING DOWN 'Capital'

So regressive...the wealthier people, with the means to own houses, get a zero tax on their unfair gains - gains for doing nothing but owning a house. Poor people - renters - get no such gains.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:59 pm

Very true. 99% top tax rate now!!

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:05 pm

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:07 pm

...if only St. Obama kept his promise...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Forty Two wrote:what a dopey article - the same political system governing all health care governs "women's health care" too. It's the same politicians. What's the expectation here? There'd be different elected officials handling certain issues?

And, the complaints about the bill -- nothing over the top here - "cruel" - "partisan attack on women's health." No specifics, of course. Just the broad allegation.

Oh, the President of Planned Parenthood says that if "they" asked the President of Planned Parenthood what she thought, then things would be different? Wow. That's brilliant. You mean a private entity that gets federal funds and wants more federal funds would want even more funds, if they had their 'druthers? Shocker.

The new healthcare bill is said to produce 22 million more uninsured persons in this country...even though Obamacare did not succeed in insuring that many people. LOL.

But, naturally, 22 million more uninsured, yes, but women are "particularly" impacted by it. Yes, it's always worse for women. How? The article does not lay out a case. It's just always worse for women. We know that. It's particularly devastating to women, they say, because the bill would stop requiring states to require insurance companies to pay for contraception as a covered item on health insurance policies. LOL. Wow. Devastating. Men's birth control is not covered now, but unless insurance companies are mandated to cover women's birth control, then that's "particularly devastating" to women. And, the law "blocks" women from getting healthcare FROM PLANNED PARENTHOOD. Because, you know, women can't go to doctors and hospitals under their health plans. We have to fund a private company, planned parenthood, separate and distinct from health insurance, or it's devastating to women.
Before the ACA there was only one policy that covered maternity care in the whole of Missouri. Do you think that the absence of a requirement to provide pre- and postnatal cover is not of particular importance to women, or just that something as fundamental as child birth and maternity care should be regulated by market forces alone? The other point about a regressive attitude that considers the representation of women in the drafting process unnecessary is a valid one, and one you skirted.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Forty Two wrote:

...if only St. Obama kept his promise...
From a source that you don't like:
During the campaign, the independent Tax Policy Center researched how Obama's tax proposals would affect workers. It concluded 94.3 percent of workers would receive a tax cut under Obama's plan based on the tax credit to offset payroll taxes. According to the analysis, the people who wouldn't get a tax cut are those who make more than $250,000 for couples or $200,000 for a single person. Obama said he intended to raise taxes on those high earners, a promise he reiterated during the State of the Union, and that revenue would offset the stimulus tax cut.

Because the stimulus act did give that broad-based tax cut to workers, we rate Obama's statement True.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:27 pm

Whatever the Tax Policy Center researched ahead of time, the result of his policies was to increase taxes. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... a9337efe01 "in 2013, a huge tax increase affecting ordinary workers took effect, raising the employee payroll tax from 4.2 percent to 6.2 percent. A worker earning $50,000 a year saw disposable income decline by $1,000.....The payroll tax figures as a much bigger source of taxation for the middle class than for the rich. Payroll taxes only apply to the first $117,000 of income. For someone earning $1 million a year, the annual payroll tax would max out at just over $2,000, or 0.2 percent of income. For someone making $20,000 a year, it would equal $400, or a full 2 percent of income. "

Typically, places that review the tax issue and conclude that Obama did not raise taxes on the middle class fail to take into consideration the tax hikes within Obamacare - http://www.atr.org/full-list-obamacare- ... sted-a7010 and https://www.atr.org/obamacare%E2%80%99s ... -tax-hikes

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:17 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:

The other point about a regressive attitude that considers the representation of women in the drafting process unnecessary is a valid one, and one you up-skirted.
Fixed...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!