The Thread of Democrats

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: The Thread of Democrats

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:43 am

Mayo Pete is ending his presidential candidacy, according to The Daily Beast. This probably isn't the last we'll hear from him. I don't know what the campaign aide they're quoting had for lunch, but I expect it was washed down with something salutary.

'Mayor Pete Buttigieg Is Dropping Out of the Presidential Race'
Former South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg is dropping out of the presidential race, multiple campaign sources tell The Daily Beast, ending a historic presidential bid that went from novelty to legitimate threat to some of the biggest names in Democratic politics before running into the harsh realities of the nomination process.

“Pete is heading back to South Bend and will give a speech tonight suspending his campaign,” said an aide. “He believed we could build something bigger than any bigger person and that is what he did.”

The former mayor of Indiana’s fourth-largest city began his race with, even longtime aides admitted, slim hopes of building the fundraising apparatus and ground operation needed to win a modern campaign. But riding a wave of often glowing media coverage that centered on his unlikely biography as a Harvard-educated gay veteran and Rhodes Scholar, Buttigieg’s team created one of the most successful start-up presidential campaigns in modern memory, eventually winning the most delegates in the Iowa caucuses and finished an unexpectedly close second to Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) in the New Hampshire primary.

But Buttigieg faltered in the subsequent two contests, Nevada and South Carolina, where the demographic limits of his mostly white base were tested and failed.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:48 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:31 am
Cunt wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:35 pm
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:17 pm
I suppose that's something. Meanwhile it looks like you've got nothing at all to support your claim about the Republican bill that we were originally discussing. Par for the course.
It started because I claimed that the dems were crowded into defending their fringe ideas. You asked me, I thought this 'open borders' thing was one.

I'm wrong - ok.

What are the lefts radical fringe ideas?
This is evidence that your short-term memory may be deficient. Let your mind drift back to the hoary ages of yesteryore, back to Wed Feb 26, 2020. We see a jolly fellow from Canada posting the following:
Cunt wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:15 pm
Dem's just blocked the 'born alive' bill. It's uncanny how often the same tactic is used against them - push them to align with the furthest-left fringe of their party, then criticize them for being fringe.
In discussion of this post, I asked you 'what is the 'ludicrous fringe ideal' that Democrats are supposedly being forced to defend.' The question referred to the Republican bill, as I've clarified for you more than once. I'm inclined to think at this point that you didn't actually have anything in mind and the second sentence had no connection with the first.
In the spectrum of opinions on abortion, the most fringe would be (at the Dem fringe end) always ok (this is my position, if phrased a bit colourlessly) and never ok (at the republican fringe end)

Arguably, disallowing the 'born alive bill' would fall furthest left, or so it would seem. This way, the Dems are pushed to defend voting against the bill, while the moderates (who may well support the bill) are left quiet and mostly avoiding the rest of the conversation. If I'm wrong about how the event was painted for (and by) republican perspectives on it, ok, and not important to the main point - Dems being forced to defend the fringe of their nutters.

So with abortion, 'fringe' at either end is pretty easy to identify. If I asked a republican to define 'far right, moderate and centrist' positions on it, I could get them.

Can you do the same for this issue, from a left perspective?

(I doubt I can...my position has long been 'everyone has a right to evict anyone from their body at any time, for any or no reason' and I don't feel moderation is good for anyone )
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:59 am

What you're describing is the Republican Party trolling the Democratic Party, and I agree that regularly takes place. I don't think I've disputed that. What I've been pointing out is the equally predictable use of a false narrative as the basis of the trolling.

Regarding abortion, doctors engaging in malpractice are prosecuted. I'm unaware of any Democrats advocating for repeal of the laws under which such acts are prosecuted. As I pointed out before there is already a law on the books that deals with the issue. If the Republicans wanted more than headlines, they'd propose a workable amendment to the existing law.

You're correct to the extent that the bumper sticker "look what them baby-killers done now, Myrtle!' narrative is reinforced. That narrative only really gets traction in the low information right-wing bubble though, where it is already entrenched. The majority of the US either rolls their eyes at these antics, or work to oppose them by demonstrating the cynical mendacity of the narrative.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:03 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:59 am
What you're describing is the Republican Party trolling the Democratic Party, and I agree that regularly takes place. I don't think I've disputed that. What I've been pointing out is the equally predictable use of a false narrative as the basis of the trolling.
I think it's heaps of important.

Like government 'Deep Underground Meme Bunkers', where basement-dwelling government comediens churn out useable content.

Regarding abortion, doctors engaging in malpractice are prosecuted. I'm unaware of any Democrats advocating for repeal of the laws under which such acts are prosecuted. As I pointed out before there is already a law on the books that deals with the issue. If the Republicans wanted more than headlines, they'd propose a workable amendment to the existing law.

You're correct to the extent that the bumper sticker "look what them baby-killers done now, Myrtle!' narrative is reinforced. That narrative only really gets traction in the low information right-wing bubble though, where it is already entrenched. The majority of the US either rolls their eyes at these antics, or work to oppose them by demonstrating the cynical mendacity of the narrative.
So why then, can't I find your description of the spectrum, indicating where the 'fringe' left positions are.

I think I'm on the leftest fringe of this one, so it's not negative exactly, but you wouldn't want to be forced into defending my position on a debate stage.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:18 am

Cunt wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:03 am
So why then, can't I find your description of the spectrum, indicating where the 'fringe' left positions are.

I think I'm on the leftest fringe of this one, so it's not negative exactly, but you wouldn't want to be forced into defending my position on a debate stage.
Though you claim to not have a firm grasp of what the spectrum is, you seem to have some idea. I expect that we'd roughly agree on what it entails, but I'm not really interested in doing the abortion discussion with you. That's why I ignored the invitation. Maybe some other time.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:30 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:18 am
Cunt wrote:

Though you claim to not have a firm grasp of what the spectrum is, you seem to have some idea. I expect that we'd roughly agree on what it entails, but I'm not really interested in doing the abortion discussion with you. That's why I ignored the invitation. Maybe some other time.
Sorry, it isn't that I don't have a firm grasp.

One of the most stinging criticisms coming from those 'right-wing' places, is that the left doesn't know where to draw the line, and eject the extremists.

Stings because I find it very hard, and don't see much of it from others either.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:51 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:18 am
Cunt wrote:

The Democratic Party would be considered right wing in any normal country. The leftiest of left candidate Bernie would be considered a Moderate elsewhere.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:22 pm

Thanks, but not at all my question, Rainbow.

It is more 'what are the fringe-left ideas that are unacceptable?

The 'right' finds and purges them without too much trouble, but I don't see the left doing so. It sure seems like a spot-on criticism of the Dems (or in Canada the main 3 or 4 parties)
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:07 pm

While rainbow waits for that question to make one of us look smart, I wanted to share something from Ben Shapiro.

I am fairly certain he isn't a Democrat, but stay with me.

He was talking about the primary, and said that he thought Biden was going to be the likely winner, and that Sanders couldn't win because he is nuts.

Thing is, he was SO VEHEMENT about how Bernie is nuts and it will never happen, that I think that's exactly what he thinks is going to happen.

I mean, why so panicky if he's just a nut?

It sounds like it will be Bernie or Biden, unless a 'dark horse' candidate emerges at the last minute to save the Dems from this clown-car.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:21 pm

Cunt wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:22 pm
what are the fringe-left ideas that are unacceptable?
Sending annoying Canadians to re-education camps, however tempting, is unacceptable...

See, I told you I was a centrist... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:22 pm

Re-education camps? Hell, I'd settle for education camps...
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:48 pm

JimC wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:21 pm
Cunt wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:22 pm
what are the fringe-left ideas that are unacceptable?
Sending annoying Canadians to re-education camps, however tempting, is unacceptable...

See, I told you I was a centrist... :tea:
Judicial Watch gets to depose Hillary Clinton about her emails.

This could lead to re-education for some who think Trump is bad.

I do appreciate you highlighting our inability to criticise the fringe left though. It makes the right immune to certain attacks in a way that the left can't be.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:10 pm

An American education system would be a good thing. They could read and write someday.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:26 pm

weekend at bernies.jpg
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:36 pm

Biden is now the youngest man in the Democrat primary field.

Unless Warren decides to identify as a man, of course...
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote: