The Thread of Democrats

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re: The Thread of Democrats

Post by laklak » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:25 pm

It's the Magical Misery Tour!
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:32 pm

Cuomo should have grabbed them by the pussy.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:43 pm

Seabass wrote:Cuomo resigned. He should have just switched to Republican. No consequences on that side. And he's always been a conservative...
Yeah. If he'd just riden a horse to the courthouse steps everything would have been fine.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:31 am

They passed the infrastucture bill in the Senate. It was important to the centrists that they do it without removing the filibuster. It's like a hymen to the conservative element. But it can be put in anytime once the other party is in power. It does not have anything to do with the constitution.

It will have to be removed to pass a voting rights bill.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:27 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:25 am

I doubt the Supreme Court would take it on, since the Constitution says each house of Congress "may determine the Rules of its Proceedings."

Of course, 51 votes would nuke the filibuster. It's not like each party hasn't had the opportunity to get rid of it in the last 20 years. :coffee:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:30 am

Just part of your undemocratic process.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:10 pm

What's your king's name again? :hehe:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:25 pm

Joe wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:10 pm
Why? He plays no part in our democratic process.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:57 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:25 pm
Joe wrote:
Then why do you have him? Why is your country called the Kingdom of the Netherlands and described by Wikipedia as a constitutional monarchy?

As an American, I think it's funny to call a kingdom a democracy. No offense to your country. It just strikes me funny.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:28 pm

Joe wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:57 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Joe wrote:
Then why do you have him? Why is your country called the Kingdom of the Netherlands and described by Wikipedia as a constitutional monarchy?

As an American, I think it's funny to call a kingdom a democracy. No offense to your country. It just strikes me funny.
There is a difference between a monarch who actually governs a country (e.g. Mswati III, King of Eswatini (formerly Swaziland)) and one whose role has been reduced to acting as a ceremonial head of state, decoration, tourist attraction and nostalgic tragics (e.g. Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom and 15 other Commonwealth realms). The latter are leftovers of a mode of government that has atrophied to the point of nonexistence. They are analogous to the vermiform appendix - it may have had an important function some time in the past, but does nothing of significance now. It just has not yet got around to disappearing altogether.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:16 pm

Hermit wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:28 pm
Joe wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Joe wrote:

There is a difference between a monarch who actually governs a country (e.g. Mswati III, King of Eswatini (formerly Swaziland)) and one whose role has been reduced to acting as a ceremonial head of state, decoration, tourist attraction and nostalgic tragics (e.g. Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom and 15 other Commonwealth realms). The latter are leftovers of a mode of government that has atrophied to the point of nonexistence. They are analogous to the vermiform appendix - it may have had an important function some time in the past, but does nothing of significance now. It just has not yet got around to disappearing altogether.
Yes Hermit, I am aware of the figurehead monarch and some of the roles they play, but I find your analogy interesting.

Appendicitis can seriously threaten a person's health, even their life, unless the appendix is removed. I wonder what that would look like for a vestigial monarch.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:36 pm

:rimshot:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:38 pm

Joe wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:16 pm
Hermit wrote:
Joe wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Joe wrote:

Yes Hermit, I am aware of the figurehead monarch and some of the roles they play, but I find your analogy interesting.

Appendicitis can seriously threaten a person's health, even their life, unless the appendix is removed. I wonder what that would look like for a vestigial monarch.
This is where the analogy breaks down. Most probably. We may find out some time after the coronation of Charles III.

On the other hand we can expand on the analogy some more; How many people have died of appendicitis in the presence of doctors?

Appendicitis Deaths per million persons.png
It would seem that the seven European kingdoms, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, the United Kingdom, Spain, the Netherlands, the principalities of Belgium, Andorra, Liechtenstein, and Monaco and the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg are reasonably safe from having their democratic forms of government destroyed by a rogue monarch.

It is somewhat ironic that right now and in the short term future democracy in the US currently looks more endangered in comparison. Despite its rigorous constitutional protections, the lack of a monarch and strict separation between church and state it is trending toward a one-party theocracy. The irony is sharpened by the facts that in addition to the UK's official head of state being a monarch it also has an official state religion and none of the members in its upper house sit there by virtue of a popular vote.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:55 am

Hermit wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:38 pm
Joe wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:16 pm
Hermit wrote:
Joe wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

This is where the analogy breaks down. Most probably. We may find out some time after the coronation of Charles III.

On the other hand we can expand on the analogy some more; How many people have died of appendicitis in the presence of doctors?

Appendicitis Deaths per million persons.png

It would seem that the seven European kingdoms, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, the United Kingdom, Spain, the Netherlands, the principalities of Belgium, Andorra, Liechtenstein, and Monaco and the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg are reasonably safe from having their democratic forms of government destroyed by a rogue monarch.

It is somewhat ironic that right now and in the short term future democracy in the US currently looks more endangered in comparison. Despite its rigorous constitutional protections, the lack of a monarch and strict separation between church and state it is trending toward a one-party theocracy. The irony is sharpened by the facts that in addition to the UK's official head of state being a monarch it also has an official state religion and none of the members in its upper house sit there by virtue of a popular vote.
I do like the presence of doctors extension to the analogy. The monarchs I've looked at are greatly constrained by the government. Take the British Queen's Order in Council power. She exercises it through the Privy Council, which actually makes the decision she assents to.

As for American democracy, our Framers meant us to be a Republic. Between that and the concessions to the States, and the rise of political parties, just how secure has our "democracy" ever really been?