The Thread of Democrats

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: The Thread of Democrats

Post by Svartalf » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:55 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:43 pm
What really gets me is why does the USA have so many elections?
Yeah, voting lots of things every other year just does not give the appointees time to actually work at their jobs, barely elected, and already ^back on the campaigning trail.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:13 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:43 pm
What really gets me is why does the USA have so many elections?
We have Presidential elections every 4 years, and Senatorial elections every 6. Representatives serve for 2 years (but those elections are within districts, not nationwide. By way of example, my district covers mostly my county, with little bits of two neighboring counties. Population is about 760,000 total.

Districts vary in population, too - in Florida the smallest has about 720,000 people, and the largest about 820,000. I suspect that most parliamentary ridings or districts vary to some extent in population, too, which would mean that each member of parliament has a small disparity in number of people they represent.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:41 pm
Yeah I did. I was told at school many moons ago that the Electoral College and Senate were a way the rich land owners still maintained some control over central government.
The Senate represents the States qua political entities.

The EC was a compromise method for electing a President - the President is chosen by the States, not directly by the individual citizenry. He's supposed to represent a union of States. That's the concept. In order to get smaller, less powerful states to join the union and not be essentially vassals to large population centers, they created a system which takes into account the interests of the individual states as entities.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:42 pm

BarnettNewman wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:26 pm
Cunt wrote:I've met idiots on every kind of street, road or trail.
What I am saying to you is that it’s usually the locals who will pollute an area in favor of jobs jobs jobs before an urban majority would. Urban people favor green renewables over pipelines and hydrocarbons. So, I’m not sure what your opinion is founded in.
Yes. My opinion is founded in having more than one perspective.

I was in a pristine area of the north. Staying in a lovely hotel, which, by the way, was wheelchair accessible. The vending machine included popcorn, and packs of noodles, since the only restaurant had fairly limited hours. Across the road, was one of the Franklin Expedition camp sites. I stood on the site, while being scolded by some ravens.

Chatting with the owner, she raised the (then current) issue of a pipeline. She wanted to see development, and economic activity. Greedy so-and-so. She wanted her family to have opportunities, and wanted to see the land she loved developed and shared.

Not everyone is interested in returning the Earth to it's pristine state.

After meeting her, I started thinking that until they remediate Seattle, the city folk can shut up about areas of the far north which they don't understand.
DJK33113.jpg
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:01 pm

Cunt wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:13 pm
I've met idiots on every kind of street, road or trail.

What I'm pointing out might not be obvious, but consider that if you import MANY voters into your city may have a very different idea about polluting a remote mountain region while they order their manufactured goods.

That mountain region might get ruined, and it's basically a decision made by strangers half a continent away.

This seems good to you?

Federal power is supposed to be restricted. The losers almost always get pissy about the Electoral College.

At least there will be one more election they lose. They are better off in the opposition anyway.
A lot of the government actions that affect less populated areas of the US are done by individual states, in any case. So voters in a particular state can control a lot of what happens there in any case, no matter how low their population density...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:29 pm

Cunt wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:42 pm
BarnettNewman wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:26 pm
Cunt wrote:I've met idiots on every kind of street, road or trail.
What I am saying to you is that it’s usually the locals who will pollute an area in favor of jobs jobs jobs before an urban majority would. Urban people favor green renewables over pipelines and hydrocarbons. So, I’m not sure what your opinion is founded in.
Yes. My opinion is founded in having more than one perspective.

I was in a pristine area of the north. Staying in a lovely hotel, which, by the way, was wheelchair accessible. The vending machine included popcorn, and packs of noodles, since the only restaurant had fairly limited hours. Across the road, was one of the Franklin Expedition camp sites. I stood on the site, while being scolded by some ravens.

Chatting with the owner, she raised the (then current) issue of a pipeline. She wanted to see development, and economic activity. Greedy so-and-so. She wanted her family to have opportunities, and wanted to see the land she loved developed and shared.

Not everyone is interested in returning the Earth to it's pristine state.

After meeting her, I started thinking that until they remediate Seattle, the city folk can shut up about areas of the far north which they don't understand.DJK33113.jpg
I have no idea how this refutes anything I said. And yes, as a “city-folk” you would be surprised how much I know about northern Canada and ecological restoration of Toronto.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:43 pm

City vs country, north vs south, GOP vs Dems. At the end of the month we'll be on the boat till April, so fuck all y'all landlubber motherfuckers! Gulf of Mexico for Gulf o' Mexicans!
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:01 am

BarnettNewman wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:29 pm
I have no idea how this refutes anything I said. And yes, as a “city-folk” you would be surprised how much I know about northern Canada and ecological restoration of Toronto.
Should Canada, or the Tli Cho have the right to negotiate with the diamond mine?

Or is it neither?

Both?

Any way you slice it, there will be environmental catastrophe, by the way.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:22 am

Cunt wrote:
BarnettNewman wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:29 pm
Should Canada, or the Tli Cho have the right to negotiate with the diamond mine?

Or is it neither?

Both?

Any way you slice it, there will be environmental catastrophe, by the way.
Do you want to stick to one topic or do you think spamming a subject with random questions is somehow creating an argument?

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:13 am

This is the subject. Should the big cities ('Canada, by vote') have the right to negtiate? Or the Tli Cho?

I mean, do you think democracy should rule in this case? Or is it too crude?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:20 am

Cunt wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:13 am
Should the big cities ('Canada, by vote') have the right to negtiate? Or the Tli Cho?

If there is to be a loser in any decision I'll go for the tyranny of the majority over the tyranny of the minority every time.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:35 pm

Hermit wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:20 am
Cunt wrote:
Should the big cities ('Canada, by vote') have the right to negtiate? Or the Tli Cho?

If there is to be a loser in any decision I'll go for the tyranny of the majority over the tyranny of the minority every time.
Which majority?

The distance, uninformed mass of humanity in Toronto?

The mass of humanity in the Tli Cho who will be living with the environmental consequences?

Or the UN Council?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:55 pm

Cunt wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:35 pm
Hermit wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:20 am
Cunt wrote:

Which majority?
The majority of the voters in the election, as opposed to the minority of the voters in the very same election.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:56 pm

Good of you to evade the issue. I didn't think you could get your head around a subtle difference.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Cunt wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:56 pm
Good of you to evade the issue. I didn't think you could get your head around a subtle difference.
Whenever you speak of others evading an issue or failing to answer a question I know you just don't comprehend. Good night.