Confederate Flag to Fly at City Hill in Belleview, Florida

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Confederate Flag to Fly at City Hill in Belleview, Florida

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:37 pm

http://www.ocala.com/news/20170424/bell ... ty-history

They say it's in honor of Confederate History Day and part of the effort to protect and remember this part of the history of the United States.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Re: Confederate Flag to Fly at City Hill in Belleview, Flori

Post by Strontium Dog » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:41 pm

Maybe they should fly the swastika too, to remember German veterans of WWII.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:47 pm

Well, this is in the US, not Germany. They are honoring Florida soldiers. Do you liken the Confederacy to Nazi Germany?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:08 pm

Forty Two wrote: Do you liken the Confederacy to Nazi Germany?
Yeh.
John Wayne kicked the shit out of both.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:13 pm

Forty Two wrote:Well, this is in the US, not Germany. They are honoring Florida soldiers. Do you liken the Confederacy to Nazi Germany?
Of course there's a difference. Fighting for the right to own slaves is a noble cause. Well, maybe not, but the Florida soldiers fighting on the confederate side thought it was, so what's wrong with honouring them? No Nazi German soldier ever thought that exterminating Jews is a noble cause, no siree, so big difference, see?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Every country had slavery for most of human history.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:38 pm

Forty Two wrote:Every country had slavery for most of human history.
Is that supposed to be another reason why we should honour those who fought for the right to own slaves, or has your habit to roll out the tu quoque number become so ingrained that you trotted it out again simply because you have not done so for your past ten or so posts?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:41 pm

:hehe:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:47 pm

colorsdontrun.jpg
colorsdontrun.jpg (85.17 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
Fuck all y'all Damn Yankee pig fucking dogs!
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:48 pm

I didn't roll out tu quoque. Strontium Dog did, by pointing to Nazi Germany, saying it would be bad to honor Nazis and therefore it's bad to honor Confederates.

And, the point of me saying every country had slavery for most of human history is that if it's wrong to remember and honor the history of countries that had, advanced, or supported slavery, who would 'scape whipping? Is the Confederacy a special case?

The Civil War is a major part of American history. The country literally split into two -- a union of northern states and confederacy of southern states, and went to war. So, here, the town wants to fly a Confederate flag on Confederate History Day to remember that history. Nobody is saying that slavery was honorable. One might liken it to having a holocaust museum. It's there to remember the history, and to help encourage people to learn the history and understand it, not to condone it.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:55 pm

Forty Two wrote:I didn't roll out tu quoque.
No? What were you doing then? Just mentioning that every country had slavery for most of human history to put the honouring of soldiers who fought for the right to own slaves into its proper context?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:02 pm

Hermit wrote:
No? What were you doing then? Just mentioning that every country had slavery for most of human history to put the honouring of soldiers who fought for the right to own slaves into its proper context?
Well, no. I mean, the soldiers fought for the south, and for their state. Most of them did not own slaves and had no means of obtaining slaves. The flag is being flown not to honor slavery or the fight for slavery, but to remember and memorialize history on Confederate History Day.

If the assertion is that flying the flag which flew over a country which had/fought for slavery is wrong, then it would generally be wrong to do so. Unless the Confederacy is a special case, why would it be problematic to fly that flag in the context of a day of remembrance or a history day.

What I'm working through is the rationale behind objecting to it. It's not tu quoque to examine those reasons as they apply in other contexts, because if the same argument appears to follow equally well in multiple contexts, but one context seems to end in a different conclusion, one might reasonably ask why the distinction.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:25 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Well, no. I mean, the soldiers fought for the south, and for their state. Most of them did not own slaves and had no means of obtaining slaves.
All good then. Most German soldiers did not fight for the extermination of Jews. They fought for their country. So I guess there can be no objection to flying the Nazi flag in their honour.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:28 pm

Nobody blames the Romans for slavery. Or the so-called Ancient Greeks, who invented so-called democracy.

We celebrate the olympics in their honour.
Why are the South singled out?

Women are pretty much slaves in many countries today. Like Saudi, or much of Pakistan and Afghanistan. Daughters are "offered in marriage" by the parents. It's modern slavery.

But anyway, flag-waving is pathetic.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:49 pm

mistermack wrote:Nobody blames honours the Romans for slavery. Or the so-called Ancient Greeks, who invented so-called democracy.
:fix:
mistermack wrote:Why are the South singled out?
Maybe for honouring the soldiers and their leaders who fought for the right to own slaves?