The thread of Campus Crazy Hijinks

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re: The thread of Campus Crazy Hijinks

Post by laklak » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:22 pm

For the more traditionally masculine I suggest a Southern university like Alabama, or Texas A&M. Maybe FSU, there are a lot of dudebros on the panhandle beaches, there's a nest of them in Tallahassee.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:27 pm

laklak wrote:For the more traditionally masculine I suggest a Southern university like Alabama, or Texas A&M. Maybe FSU, there are a lot of dudebros on the panhandle beaches, there's a nest of them in Tallahassee.
...sounds toxic.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak

Post by laklak » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:29 pm

One man's toxic masculinity is another man's hold my beer and watch this bro.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:35 pm

The concept of toxic masculinity is used in the social sciences to describe certain traditional standards of behavior among men in contemporary American and European society that are associated with detrimental social and psychological effects. Such "toxic" masculine norms include dominance, devaluation of women, extreme self-reliance, and the suppression of emotions.

Conformity with certain traits viewed as traditionally male, such as misogyny, homophobia, and violence, can be considered "toxic" due to harmful effects on others in society, while related traits, including self-reliance and the stifling of emotions, are correlated with harm to men themselves through psychological problems such as depression, increased stress, and substance abuse. Other traditionally masculine traits such as devotion to work, pride in excelling at sports, and providing for one's family, are not considered to be "toxic".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxic_masculinity

Yes, yes, be less toxic, but keep bringing home the money and provisions, and make sure you excel at sports - not toxic. Self-reliance, though, and being less emotional, and competition - not good - very toxic.

Men, stop being self-reliant, strong/silent, and competitive, but get your ass to work and provide for your family!
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak

Post by laklak » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:44 pm

Lol. Those Ivy League chicks must have some smokin' magic pussy for any actual male to put up with them. I'm self-reliant because I have to be, none of the Estrogen Ensemble is going to snake out that clogged toilet or crawl around a 120 degree engine "room". And somebody has to be less emotional, FFS between Mrs. Lak and the daughters it's like being in a sorority house when their cycles merge.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:00 pm

laklak wrote:Lol. Those Ivy League chicks must have some smokin' magic pussy for any actual male to put up with them. I'm self-reliant because I have to be, none of the Estrogen Ensemble is going to snake out that clogged toilet or crawl around a 120 degree engine "room".
It's that way all the time. I love how She Who Must Be Obeyed will, on certain occasions, be somewhat miffed with Yours Truly, because I happen to have forgotten about the odd repair or other task about the house. This can be as simple as a light bulb in the ceiling. We have fairly high ceilings, so a 6 foot step ladder is necessary to get up to the top. I've had occasion to be reminded that I've been told already that a light is out, and should be replaced.

I have wondered, to myself, why she does not grab the easily obtainable ladder from the garage, put it in the kitchen, and grab a light bulb out of the supply box I have labeled "light bulbs" on a shelf in the garage, and climb up there and replace it. I am experienced enough to know that there is no benefit to be obtained disclosing this kind of musing.

It's the classic, we're all equal, except when we hear a noise in the middle of the night. Then, it's me that has to go over and see if it's just a tree branch hitting the window or a ne'er-do-well seeking to gain entry. We're all equal, except when something is needed from the attic. We're all equal, except when the garbage disposal breaks, and we need to install a new one.

"I've been asking you to hang these curtain rods for a week now? Can you get to it?"
"Oh, sure, honey, here's my drill and the drill bits. Make sure you use the masonry bits, and you'll probably need a level and pencil, and these screws and anchors."
[crickets]
laklak wrote: And somebody has to be less emotional, FFS between Mrs. Lak and the daughters it's like being in a sorority house when their cycles merge.
Indeed, I can't imagine what life would be like in the Forty Two household if I were half as emotional as the missus. And, this is not a particular criticism of She Who Must Be Obeyed. It's every woman I've ever had a relationship with. I really don't think they understand this, but they really should. They tend to hate other women, so I really don't understand why they'd want to turn us into women....

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:54 am

Forty Two wrote:And it has infected another top American university, here is Princeton, enacting a program and hiring a new highly-paid administrator to run it, designed at curbing "toxic masculinity." https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/34858/

It's not enough to prohibit illegal behavior, and remedy improper stuff. No. We have to modify what it means to be a man. If a person subscribes to traditional gender roles, then that's not really allowed anymore, well, at least it's discouraged because it is "masculinity so fragile."

All genders and preferences are allowed and encouraged. Except traditional ones. Those are toxic and hateful. If I'm a guy with a dad-bod and short haircut, parted on the side, and I wear collared, long-sleeved shirt to work, with a men's suit bought at Brooks Brothers or something, and identify as the "gender" I was assigned at birth, lol., then I'm toxic. I need to be reeducated, to be less toxically masculine, whatever that means. I'll learn to color and style my hair, wear lots of bangles, stick a pin through my skin somewhere and wear eyeliner, maybe the odd skirt now and again. Then I'll be less toxic.

I only had to read the first couple of paragraphs to know this is about violence, not parting your hair one way or the other. :roll: God you come out with some crap.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:58 am

laklak wrote:Lol. Those Ivy League chicks must have some smokin' magic pussy for any actual male to put up with them. I'm self-reliant because I have to be, none of the Estrogen Ensemble is going to snake out that clogged toilet or crawl around a 120 degree engine "room".
It's talking about choosing to be self-reliant, not out of necessity.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:01 am

Forty Two wrote:
laklak wrote: And somebody has to be less emotional, FFS between Mrs. Lak and the daughters it's like being in a sorority house when their cycles merge.
Indeed, I can't imagine what life would be like in the Forty Two household if I were half as emotional as the missus.
:funny: Says the guy who is constantly tone policing and reporting others here.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:06 am

Violent behaviour of some men is certainly the real issue. However, there are some components of a rather old-fashioned version of masculinity, such as generally macho attitudes, or regarding women to be subservient, which do tend to be associated with a higher probability of violent behaviour. I just don't think that the term "toxic" is a useful descriptor...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:08 am

I think it is, as it really makes you stop and think. It's a way to break through the ingrained social conditioning that it's perfectly normal for a man to not show his emotions or to think that women who dress slutty deserved to be felt up (or raped), for example.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:15 am

Even if "toxic" makes sense for some male behaviours, I'm fairly certain that the PC mob will extend its reach to virtually all male activities, until it becomes so absurd that it no longer means anything...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:45 am

Stop that toxic behaviour, JimC!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:26 am

Gin is toxic in high enough amounts..

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:32 am

JimC wrote:Even if "toxic" makes sense for some male behaviours, I'm fairly certain that the PC mob will extend its reach to virtually all male activities, until it becomes so absurd that it no longer means anything...
This a good bit of the issue at hand in the Princeton article. They include as "toxic masculinity" notions of violence and harassment. Obviously, violence and harassment are prohibited conduct, but to associate them with being male is unwarranted. Moreover, while violence and harassment are mentioned, the program, as described in the article, appears focused on less specific societal wrongs, such as "self-reliance" and "competitiveness" as toxic male traits. First of all, attributing these traits to men is no different than being "sexist" and attributing to women the traits of lacking self-reliance, lacking competitiveness, and being more emotional and irrational. If we labeled overly emotional behavior and irrationality to be an aspect of "toxic femininity" what would the Princeton folks have to say about that?

Further, what business is it of a publicly funded university to police the morality or the personality traits of students? You're too self-reliant. You're too competitive. So, we're going to set up a program which, in part, is to make you understand that we, the university, won't tolerate self-reliance and competitiveness because it is part of toxic masculinity which leads to violence. In a free society, people are free to be self-reliant and competitive, and to set up programs like this to change such "attitudes" is approximately the same as what society fought to free itself of in the 1960s - the paternalistic university that tried to impose moral codes, usually conservative, on students under the guise of proper attitudes.