West Wing becomes reality.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: West Wing becomes reality.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:16 pm

pErvin wrote:On a related note, apparently the kooky idea that the Earth is flat is growing popularity.
I'm not sure it's "growing." It's always been an undercurrent, along with hollow Moons, hollow Earth, and all the rest....
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Forty Two wrote:
pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:...because the Mercator map displayed the northern hemisphere in the north ...
You do realise that "north" is not objective, right?
North is north whether the globe has it pointing down or up. In the universe, there is no up, so displaying the Earth on its side (based on the way we've usually displayed it) is also just as valid. But, "just as valid" doesn't mean the traditional display of north on top is invalid or less valid, or that we need to be "fair" to all directions and display the Earth with different directions on top....
Yeah, that's great. But it's irrelevant to what I was saying. You should have written "...because the Mercator map displayed the northern hemisphere at the top...".
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:19 pm

Forty Two wrote:
pErvin wrote:On a related note, apparently the kooky idea that the Earth is flat is growing popularity.
I'm not sure it's "growing." It's always been an undercurrent, along with hollow Moons, hollow Earth, and all the rest....
It's been popping up more and more on my newsfeed lately. And there actually was a story claiming that belief for it is up amongst celebrities. I didn't read the article but it had a picture of Shaq with it. Big fella should leave the thinking to the experts..
Last edited by pErvinalia on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:28 pm

A flat Earth is a perfectly reasonable theory for people who grew up and lived in societies where they did know anything much about stars, planets, and such. We are so steeped in the structure of the solar system that we find it ludicrous for people to believe anything else. But, take away a little bit of knowledge, and we all would think the Earth is flat. Imagine growing up in a pre-industrial farming vilage where traveling outside of your town was a rarity, difficult, and dangerous. A place with few, if any, books, and you're really just judging based on what you see around you. The Earth looks flat, but with hills and valleys and such, in all directions. You have no idea how far the land goes. There is no theory of gravity in your head, so in most people's minds, things stay down because there is an up and a down. Things fall down, and settle at the bottom. We have no idea what stars are, but something must hold them up in the sky, otherwise the "things fall down" concept would have them coming down. Must be a ceiling of some kind up there to hold them. Looking up, it looks kind of like a dome. So, the world is flat, with the dome of the heavens above. It couldn't be round, because things underneath fall off.

I makes perfect sense. Also, the curvature of the Earth is nearly flat. The curvature of the earth is nearly 0 per mile, so that although the flat-earth theory is wrong, it happens to be nearly right. That's why the theory lasted so long. http://chem.tufts.edu/answersinscience/ ... fwrong.htm

But, in this day and age, I can't believe people are seriously thinking the Earth is flat. But, I guess some do. I wonder if they really do hold the idea, or they just like conspiracy theories....
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:29 pm

pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:...because the Mercator map displayed the northern hemisphere in the north ...
You do realise that "north" is not objective, right?
North is north whether the globe has it pointing down or up. In the universe, there is no up, so displaying the Earth on its side (based on the way we've usually displayed it) is also just as valid. But, "just as valid" doesn't mean the traditional display of north on top is invalid or less valid, or that we need to be "fair" to all directions and display the Earth with different directions on top....
Yeah, that's great. But it's irrelevant to what I was saying. You should have written "...because the Mercator map displayed the northern hemisphere at the top...".
That's what I meant, and I'm sure you understood that.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:33 pm

pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
It's been popping up more and more on my newsfeed lately.
Newsfeeds are not a good way to measure the prevalence of anything. You just have to click on one of them on any given topic and google, facebook or whoever will think you are interested in it and feed you more of the same. That's how their algorithms work.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:34 pm

Yeah, but as I said, there was literally an article stating that it is growing in prevalence (albeit amongst a certain category of idiot).

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:35 pm

I like to follow the belief that my belly is flat although I should very well know it is round...

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:04 pm

pErvin wrote:Yeah, but as I said, there was literally an article stating that it is growing in prevalence (albeit amongst a certain category of idiot).
Did it mention surveys done or did it say something like "lots of people are talking about it now, and there are even new web sites and youtube channels." Believe it or not, The Guardian serves up some utter crap from time to time. If its editor forbade Beau Dure to write about anything except soccer, or better still shunted him off to the Daily Mail, the paper would experience an immediate lift in quality. Come to think of it, both papers would.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:07 pm

I didn't read it. The stupidity would be too much for me to handle.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:11 pm

pErvin wrote:I didn't read it. The stupidity would be too much for me to handle.
You mention an article you have not read to support your assertion that "apparently the kooky idea that the Earth is flat is growing popularity"? How cool is that? :o

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:12 pm

"Apparently". Are you struggling with English again?

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:20 pm

pErvin wrote:"Apparently". Are you struggling with English again?
apparently
adverb
As far as one knows or can see.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/apparently

Apparently not. :mrgreen:

Are you unable to relinquish an untenable position again?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:25 pm

Hermit wrote:
pErvin wrote:I didn't read it. The stupidity would be too much for me to handle.
You mention an article you have not read to support your assertion that "apparently the kooky idea that the Earth is flat is growing popularity"? How cool is that? :o
He doesn't have to read what people write in order to know what they really mean. He knows.... once a person is assigned a jersey, he knows exactly what they mean, which might be different than what they write, so, what would be the point of reading it?

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:29 pm

I've seen some of that bullshit about a growing number of celebs becoming flat earthers. A lot of them basketball players for some reason.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.