Forty Two wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:32 pm
Joe wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:32 am
Forty Two wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:19 pm
Joe wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:35 am
Yeah, because EMTALA was working just fine.
The current state of affairs is unsustainable.

Let's not forget that the "uninsured" in 2010 when Obamacare was passed were not primarily people who could not afford insurance. All children were covered under Chip, etc. Medicaid covered the really poor. If it was about covering people who could not afford it, we could have just picked an income level at which Medicaid kicks in and raise that threshold - we could have made it graduated so higher incomes get progressively less subsidy to their Medicaid, down to zero.

But, since that wasn't the main problem, that wasn't the solution. The main problem was that 30,000,000 million people who didn't have health insurance were nevertheless making incomes above the median income level in the country, but opting not to buy insurance with their money (using it for something else). Half of the reamining 10,000,000 were illegal aliens. And, a large percentage of the last bit were already eligible for some form of assistance, whether it be Medicaid or Chip, but failed to sign up.

This was a small problem, that wasn't in need of a solution, that was presented as a big problem, in order to pass a law requiring everyone to get health insurance.
Well, your argument is certainly unsustainable Forty Two. How about linking to the source of the numbers you're throwing around?

For now, I'll just assume you got it wrong. :bored:
Because we've been over it many times before.

From 2009 -- "The Census states that 46.3 million Americans were uninsured at some point in 2008. Yet, 17.8 million of the uninsured earn more than $50,000 annually. It's likely that many of them -- particularly the 9.7 million that make more than $75,000 a year -- have chosen to forego coverage." https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sall ... -uninsured Nearly half of the uninsured made roughly average incomes in 2008.

The stats back then said about 7.3 million of the unininsured were children - ""The Georgetown University Health Policy Institute estimates that seven in 10 uninsured children already qualify for the State Children's Health Insurance Program, Medicaid, or both. And the federal government already approved an additional $32 billion to help expand SCHIP earlier this year." Of the total number of uninsured at the time, "roughly one in four Americans without coverage is already eligible for government-provided care."

So, 17.8 million earned over $50,000 per year, and about 12 million already were eligible for government provided care. That's 27 or 28 million people of the uninsured that plainly could afford insurance or already were elible for free health care at the time.
SEPTEMBER 26, 2011 SALLY C. PIPES THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
The Wall Street Journal

The U.S. Census Bureau has released its latest estimates on poverty, income and health-insurance coverage. Strikingly, the official poverty rate is the highest it’s been in 50 years.

As one might expect, the number of Americans without health insurance also rose—to 49.9 million, an increase of 919,000 since 2009.

But that large number hides more than it reveals. And diving into it shows that the uninsured rate won’t fall unless the economy starts humming again. Unfortunately, ObamaCare’s billions of dollars in new taxes and regulations won’t allow that to happen.

Let’s take a closer look at the 49.9 million uninsured. The Census reports that 9.5 million of them, about 19%, have household incomes over $75,000. In other words, a fifth of the uninsured make at least 50% more than the median American. They can afford to purchase a plan but have chosen not to.

Another 8.8 million uninsured make between $50,000 and $75,000. Paying for coverage might be more of a stretch for these folks, but they still have incomes higher than the majority of Americans.

For these two subsets of the uninsured population, an insurance plan might not be worth the money, particularly if they’re young and healthy. And with ObamaCare set to drive up the cost of a basic individual insurance plan by 10% to 13%, according to the Congressional Budget Office, the number of voluntarily uninsured is certain to grow.

Another 9.7 million of the uninsured are noncitizens, both legal and illegal immigrants. Illegal immigrants will not be able to participate in ObamaCare’s exchanges, so they’ll continue to seek care in expensive emergency rooms and community hospitals, thereby adding to the cost of care for everyone else. Add these three groups up, and more than half of the people the Census Bureau counts as uninsured could be considered questionably so.

The uninsured truly in need of help are those with household incomes below $25,000. They represent roughly a third of the uninsured, or 16.1 million.

Now, 16 million uninsured is nothing to sneeze at. But they represent only 5% of the American population. Finding coverage for them doesn’t require remaking one-sixth of the U.S. economy, as ObamaCare does. Many of these 16 million people are already eligible for public insurance, chiefly Medicaid and the State Children’s Health Insurance Program. They just haven’t signed up.

The Census figures also show that the number of people with private insurance dropped by 300,000 last year. About 1.5 million people lost their employer-sponsored insurance, most likely because of the economic downturn. But that loss in coverage was partially offset by the fact that over a million people bought coverage for themselves or their families on the private market.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424 ... TopOpinion

Thus, while the problem was not nonexistent, the problem was not what the Democrats sold it as - a crisis of 50 million poor people unable "afford" insurance. And their solution was to compel people to buy insurance, and then subsidize them, but as the subsidies were added, the cost of health insurance doubled, tripled and quadrupled.

They promised LOWER insurance premiums. Anyone who lived through it should remember that the Affordable Care Act was supposed to reduce premiums across the board, like $2500 per family, and then there were cost savings - we were going to save $50 billion annually in fraud prevention. We were going to save money because everyone would be getting preventative care, and all the policies were going to offer broad coverage (they didn't tell us that deductibles were going to go up to $3,000 and then $6,000+ annual deductibles).

The solution to the problem was to mandate the purchase of health insurance and then require us to disclose on our tax returns to the IRS whether we had health insurance. If we did not, the law was going to require a penalty, and if the penalty wasn't paid then there would be criminal repurcussions. And, when you want a subsidy, you went to the exchange and put all your income information in there, and guess what your annual income would be for the upcoming year. Then you get a subsidy based on that. But if you earned more money that year, then when you filed your return they would recalculate your subsidy and you'd get pinged by the IRS for the difference in premium and a penalty for not accurately stating your estimated income and if you didn't have the money to pay the IRS, then you would face interest and penalties on that.

It was a non-solution to a different problem, and it became a shit-sandwich.
Well, if it's been discussed so much, why don't link to the discussion here, instead of an opinion piece written by an think tank ideologue? I suspect it because the crew here ripped your post a new asshole.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Joe

Re: The US Healthcare Mass Debate

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:01 am

Forty Two wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:35 pm
Joe wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:43 am
Tero wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:39 pm
Generous safety net!
:funny:
A guy bitching about his $2000 health insurance premiums thinks we have a generous safety net. :hehe:
Nets are for when you fall, not when you're still up and walking.
Well thanks for showing me your level of understanding.
Forty Two wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:35 pm
Joe wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:43 am
It's true it's pretty good if you compare it to poor countries. It's also true that we have many wonderful and generous people, with a fine reputation for giving, but Seth alone puts a stain on that. :prof:

You're still talking about Seth, whose been banned from the site for what? A year? His name comes up so much around here, I think some of you actually miss the guy. Ironic.
Speak for yourself. Seth frequents other fora, and we've conversed there. I read one he wrote on a major fire about a weak ago. He was there and took some pretty good pictures. I'd share them, but he'd write probably me one of his stupid "cease and desist" emails. You know how he loved to copyright his stuff.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:05 am

Come March of next year I gets my Medicare! Woot!

Well, maybe woot. We'll see what the Medicare supplementary insurance costs.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:07 am

What a mess!
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:13 pm

In so many ways.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:08 am

Republicans give up
On Medicare
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/ ... ned-623203
but when Trump gets re-elected Medicare is history
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:32 am

Tero wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:08 am
Republicans give up
On Medicare
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/ ... ned-623203
but when Trump gets re-elected Medicare is history
They better be really careful about that. Aside from the Democrats, the Tea Party is really sensitive on this issue.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:32 am

So are one hell of a lot of old Republicans. It would be political suicide.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:06 am

It’s official. Though kids can be separated, which law does not demand, Affordable Care can be ignored, thoughstill a law. Trump alows selling insurance that does not do shit for buyer:
https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1JF2AQ

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:18 am

many corporations are self-insuring. Three companies take first steps to provide actual healthcare
In January, Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway and JPMorgan Chase announced they were banding together to form a new company with the goal of providing high-quality health care with lower costs for their American employees.
http://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/2018/0 ... rgan-chase

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:06 pm

Strong opposition to Trump gutting health insurance rules
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/1010889869273583616

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:10 pm

Will it stop him? Doubt it.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:26 pm

Joe wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:39 am

Well, if it's been discussed so much, why don't link to the discussion here, instead of an opinion piece written by an think tank ideologue? I suspect it because the crew here ripped your post a new asshole.
Why wouldn't I delve back into previous threads and link to previous discussions, really?

Those numbers in the "think tank ideologue's" writings are not controversial. However, if you dispute them in substance, then feel free to set out the demographics of the 46 or so million uninsured in and around 2010. Are you suggesting that "the crew" would set me straight, and show that the vast majority of the 46 million were poor people who simply made too much money for Medicaid, but were nevertheless unable to afford insurance?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:27 pm

Joe wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:13 pm
In so many ways.
Indeed. It's nice to have agreement that the current state of US health insurance system is a mess in so many ways.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:37 pm

Single payer! All sign up! Bring back the penalty! The employer side can stay as is.