The Ethics of Punching Nazis

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: The Ethics of Punching Nazis

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:20 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:I think its fundamentally necessary to resist those who would assert a freedom and/or right to restrict your rights and freedoms - particularly those who would employ violence to do so.

I don't think political categories play any part in that.
That's avoiding the question. Is it o.k. to punch Communists, who often assert a right or desire to restrict rights and freedoms, and Communists have often advocated violence. Is it o.k. to punch the ones who advocate restricting rights, and using violence? Thus, do you apply the same test to alleged Nazis - i.e., is it only o.k. that the alleged white nationalist Spencer got punched, if he actually expressed a desire to restrict freedoms and use violence? Or, are alleged Nazis automatically in that category?

Also, what of SJWs and progressive who do both of those things: (a) many of them express a desire to restrict freedoms and rights (limit free speech, for example, to exclude the messages of people they think are hateful and dangerous), and (b) many expressly advocate violence where they claim that punching Nazis is a good idea. Thus, of those Progressives/SJWs who both desire to restrict the individual liberty of freedom of speech, and desire to use violence against some folks, are they in the punchable category? Are they among those we should "resist?"

Also, I point out an inherent vagueness in your post there. Resist. What do you mean by that? Everyone can "resist" ideas they don't like, by peaceably protesting, marching, writing, publishing, blogging, vlogging, talking, singing songs, carrying signs, saying hooray for their side, that kind of thing....but, does "resist" in your comment mean or include something more than that?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:51 pm

Forty Two wrote:So, when you are approaching this from a standpoint of "it's o.k. to punch Nazis" we need to understand that it's not necessarily "Nazis" who will get punched, or Nazis alone. When you abandon the notion of a fundamental right to free expression, you don't limit that abandonment to just a small category of extremists.
You're basically repeating what you said in this post. For my reply I refer you to that one.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:28 pm

O.k., I don't quite see how your post rebuts mine, but I'll try to address it and let's discuss.

One, the irony of Thomas More dying because of a principled stand, that principled stand involved his opposition to Henry the VIII's marriage annulment and his refusal to take the Oath of Supremacy that Henry was the supreme head of the Church of England. And, the principled stand was that he was God's servant first, and it was a religious stand. Some people die for their principles. I am unclear how you are linking that with the notion that all people have an equal right to free expression, and that if you make an exception for one distasteful group, then exceptions may be made for others, and eventually the rule may be swallowed by the exceptions.

Next you referred to the Beer Hall Putsch, which was not speech or expression, but violence. Hitler and his small group made violent effort to overthrow the government, for which he was convicted and sentenced to prison. There is no relevance to free speech there, as the government had the right to stop him and it did. It should have sentenced him harsher. As for the comments that Hitler is reported as having made about using legal, democratic means to achieve their aims, well, they did not use legal, democratic means to achieve their aims. They used violence routinely, burned down the Reichstag and blamed it on the Jews and Communists, and then Hitler got himself appointed Chancellor by Hindenberg in 1933. In 1932, Hitler lost the Presidential election by a wide margin. He was pummeled. They used voter intimidation and vote rigging in the last Weimar election and still were not all that popular - Hitler was not elected, but the party won a bunch of seats in parliament. He managed to get himself appointed Chancellor, and then proceeded to use his State power to dissolve the parliament and hold a new election, with the ballot boxes overseen by his brownshirts. Once that was done, he merged the positions of Chancelor and President. None of this was done by vote or with popular support. It was possible because of the machinery of the State.

Free speech did not allow Hitler to win - politics and the failure of Hindenbrug to stop violence was the failure. If the State concentrates on the violence and intimidation, then such a rise won't happen.

With regard to Trump, your speculation as to what he might do about "the left" that he supposedly is all-fired up to oppose and label traitors, although he has not actually said anything about that -- let's assume you are correct, and that he's appointing people he likes to the SCOTUS and to other positions in the government, and his goal is to silence the left. All the more reason, isn't it, to have a broad, fundamental right of free speech? Trump is now the State or acting for the state, and if you were to give him the one tool he needs to silence the Left and render them enemies of the State, then a key tool would be an exception to the rule that all opinions are lawful by suggesting that he or the State can declare a point of view a threat to public order. Give him that, and he can actually do what you're suggesting he wants to do. If, however, the law and constitution is clear that it would be unconstitutional for the State to silence political opposition, even on the grounds that public order might be disrupted, then he can be thwarted in the courts, and he can be thrwarted in congress, and he can impeached. You mention him packing the courts -- what would the packed SCOTUS do to make sure that Trump got his right to label the left enemies of the State and silence them -- why...they would rule that free speech does not include opinions which are dangerous and threats to public order. Wouldn't that be what the Court would do? Make an exception that leftist opinions don't count as free speech? Wasn't that precisely what the State was arguing in the Trial of the Chicago 8 (Abbie Hoffman, Jerry Rubin, Bobby Seal, David Dellinger, Tom Hayden, etc.) was the reason the protesters on trial needed to be convicted... ? The State always wants the exceptions you and pErvin and Peacock talk about. The State wants to shut down inconvenient opposition and inconvenient speech. What saves us, the people, from election to election, is the difficulty the State has in getting its way when it comes silencing people.

So, if you have a bunch of leftists college students rioting and declaring that hate speech is not free speech and Nazis don't have free speech, what they are calling for is an increase in State power. They are calling for the State to silence someone who is speaking. As a result, they must be hoping that the State will remain in the control of people who only want to silence those bad guys. Because, when someone antithetical to the left - with the intent you ascribe to Trump - takes power, they will look for whatever tools they can find to silence their opposition, and that just might be the very protesters and groups looking to silence hate speakers and microaggressors now.....

If, indeed, Trump is a strongman whom some of the public will support no matter what, then isn't it all the more reason to have an ironclad Constitutional provision to which the State is subjected and which the State cannot readily change (absent a Constitutional Convention or a 2/3 majority of Congress and 2/3 majority of all State legislatures too? I mean, you've got a rule that doesn't have an exception for political opponents of Trump. All Trump could hope to do is amend the constitution, or have a SCOTUS that would overturn more than a century of First Amendment jurisprudence that rules that the content of the speaker's message is not a reason to allow the State to censor it. It's the same rule that protected Communists in the past, Civil Rights Activists were protected by it, Vietnam War protesters were protected by it even when Nixon was President. Wouldn't it have been convenient for Johnson and Nixon to have an exception available to them, that if Abbie Hoffman and other hippie protesters' message was a thread to public order that they could be censored?

What I can't get a handle on is why anyone thinks that an exception to freedom of expression that allows the content of the speaker's message to be determinative of its legality is beneficial in any way to the people, and anything other than a wonderful tool for a wannabe despot.... can you explain that? Doesn't the Trump you describe want that exception to be clearly accepted as a limitation on free expression?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:13 pm

Forty Two wrote:. . . the alleged white nationalist Spencer . . .
:fp: Spencer is an unabashed white nationalist who promotes the ideal of a white ethnostate. Mealy-mouthed drivel like the above only erodes your credibility, such as it is.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:24 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
:fp: Spencer is an unabashed white nationalist who promotes the ideal of a white ethnostate. Mealy-mouthed drivel like the above only erodes your credibility, such as it is.
Well, shortly before he was punched, Spencer denied that he was a neo-Nazi and said, “Yeah, sure,” when asked if he liked black people. Then a man approached Spencer off camera and attacked him. I've read little of him, but many of his quotes seem racist, but whether he's a "nationalist" is really not something I'm familiar with.

It in no way effects my credibility to have not labeled him something. My view on this should be quite clear -- it has nothing to do with what other people call him, or even what he calls himself. If he said he was a neo-Nazi, rather than deny it, then he'd still, in my view, have a right not to be sucker punched.

In my view, the concept of individual rights, such as free expression, does not depend on the substance of a person's political opinion. Your view may differ. I'll let you explain your view, if you have one on this topic that doesn't involve trying to insult me.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Forty Two wrote:What I can't get a handle on is why anyone thinks that an exception to freedom of expression that allows the content of the speaker's message to be determinative of its legality is beneficial in any way to the people, and anything other than a wonderful tool for a wannabe despot.... can you explain that?
Yes. In short, I have recently come around to the opinion that the free propagation of fascism should not be allowed. We've seen the consequences of fascists coming to power, and every instance of it supports that opinion.

Now, I know that you do not regard Trump as a fascist or a racist or a misogynist, and I realise that there are big differences between him and Hitler. Believe me. They're yuge. Nevertheless, there are similarities that are dangerous to ignore or downplay. For one thing, Trump is a rabid nationalist, and he too promises to make his nation great again. He calls media like CNN and The Washington Post purveyors of fake news. In other words, they are the modern version of the Lügenpresse. And he does so while continuously lying through his teeth on matters great and small. Truth is none of his concern when he speaks of wire taps, voter fraud, the size of his support by the electoral college or any other of what looks like thousands of topics he opens his mouth about or commits to twitter comments.

I bet while reading the above paragraph you immediately made a mental note to point out that at worst these things are objectionable words the right to which is guaranteed by the freedom of speech, rather than criminal actions which are already sufficiently covered by truckloads of laws. I regard Trumps words as harbingers of criminal actions to come. And they will inevitably, unless that monster and his henchmen are stopped. And anyway, please don't say that laws only apply once a wrongful action has already happened before testing it on your freedom of movement by running a few red lights. If you don't collide with anyone in the process you have not committed a wrongful action and should therefore not be pulled up for it.

Yes, I mentioned the Beer Hall Putsch, but only to point out that it was not how Hitler became Germany's dictator. I also pointed out that it was the event that caused Hitler to change his strategy, which was to use democracy to destroy democracy. While he did routinely organise and authorise violent acts, he became Chancellor two months before the Reichtagsbrand (which the somewhat deranged communist van der Lubbe caused on his own initiative and admitted to causing) using the then applicable parliamentary processes. In the November 1932 elections, which was the second-last free free election in comparison to what was to come after the enactment of the Enabling Act of March that followed the 1933 elections, the NSDAP did not have the majority of the seats, but with 30% of the vote and 196 members of parliament it had a plurality and enough for what followed.

I am sadly confident that your version of a democratic system will allow Trump to pursue a similar career. I included the short clip of his brag about his loyal supporters to indicate that he thinks the bulk of them don't give a flying fuck about legalities, and I fear he is right. It is only a matter of time before a sufficient number of these useful idiots crystallise into a bunch of organised brownshirts, make a mockery of your iron-clad constitution and Trump a law onto himself. They, and he, must be shut down by any means at hand. None of them have any respect for law. They are not entitled to its protections. Shout them down. Punch them out. There may well be a civil war. Is that a bad thing? Depends on who wins. The USA became a better nation as a result of who won your previous one.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:23 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:I think its fundamentally necessary to resist those who would assert a freedom and/or right to restrict your rights and freedoms - particularly those who would employ violence to do so.

It all comes down to what you mean by "resist"

Except in the case of self-defence, in the context of a pluralist society, I don't think "punching Nazis" fits comfortably into that category, whereas robust demonstrations etc do.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:43 pm

We learned in kindergarten not to punch other people, even if we didn't like them. We also learned to wash our hands after we went pee-pee. Do SJWs wash their hands after they go pee-pee, or were they in class that day?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:00 pm

laklak wrote:Do SJWs wash their hands after they go pee-pee, or were they not in class that day?
Neither. They learnt how not to get piss on their hands.
Last edited by Hermit on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:01 pm

Germs can jump from your wee-wee to your hands. That's what the teacher said.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:05 pm

laklak wrote:Germs can jump from your wee-wee to your hands. That's what the teacher said.
Explains why I got sick or died every day for the past 63 years.

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:11 pm

I don't think I've seen anyone actually argue that folk should be allowed to just punch Nazis without sanction. Only that they're not really going to lose any sleep over it. The whole thread is a bit of a strawman, really.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:11 pm

Pee on your hands. Urine is sterile. Reason for washing hands after going to the toilet is the stuff from the other exit in the netherregions.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:50 pm

Forty Two wrote:

That's avoiding the question. Is it o.k. to punch Communists, who often assert a right or desire to restrict rights and freedoms, and Communists have often advocated violence. Is it o.k. to punch the ones who advocate restricting rights, and using violence? Thus, do you apply the same test to alleged Nazis - i.e., is it only o.k. that the alleged white nationalist Spencer got punched, if he actually expressed a desire to restrict freedoms and use violence? Or, are alleged Nazis automatically in that category?

Also, what of SJWs and progressive who do both of those things: (a) many of them express a desire to restrict freedoms and rights (limit free speech, for example, to exclude the messages of people they think are hateful and dangerous), and (b) many expressly advocate violence where they claim that punching Nazis is a good idea. Thus, of those Progressives/SJWs who both desire to restrict the individual liberty of freedom of speech, and desire to use violence against some folks, are they in the punchable category? Are they among those we should "resist?"

Also, I point out an inherent vagueness in your post there. Resist. What do you mean by that? Everyone can "resist" ideas they don't like, by peaceably protesting, marching, writing, publishing, blogging, vlogging, talking, singing songs, carrying signs, saying hooray for their side, that kind of thing....but, does "resist" in your comment mean or include something more than that?
You're barking up the wrong tree here. I'm not avoiding the question, just the dichotomy. I'm saying I think it should be resisted no matter who is advocating limiting others rights and freedoms by force - and here I mean 'resist' in it's usual sense of withstanding, combating the effects of, etc, and that the form which that resistance takes is best determined in light of the context and the circumstances. You're asking if it is OK to punch Nazis or Communists, because they're Nazis and Communists, and I'm saying it depends, that is; no outright condemnation but no outright endorsement either. I'd also point out that my political views are not grounded in a commitment to an ideological position or by the affiliatory politics of identity but but by the application of certain ethical and meta-ethical considerations arrived at on a case-by-case basis. That I end up on the left-hand side of the divide is a happen-stance, not an ideal, and certainly not an imperative.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:05 pm

Forty Two wrote:
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Well, shortly before he was punched, Spencer denied that he was a neo-Nazi and said, “Yeah, sure,” when asked if he liked black people. Then a man approached Spencer off camera and attacked him. I've read little of him, but many of his quotes seem racist, but whether he's a "nationalist" is really not something I'm familiar with.
Right, so you carefully maintain your ignorance, which in your mind allows you to say, "well, I don't know whether he's a white nationalist." To me that reeks of intellectual dishonesty, and is remarkably similar to your dear Leader Trump denying that he knew anything about David Duke.
Richard Spencer wrote:The ideal I advocate is the creation of a White Ethno-State on the North American continent.

[source]
The Nazis themselves resented the term "Nazi," so it would be in keeping for Spencer to reject the term neo-Nazi. Many neo-Nazis reject the term--so what? From the neo-Nazi site "New Order":
It is a fact that the label "Nazi" was originally used by a hostile press during the Weimar period [in Germany] as a term of contempt and derision against Adolf Hitler and his Movement. Nowhere did the Leader himself use this designation, either in his speeches or in Mein Kampf.

Not only is the expression a distortion of our true name, but it connotes a certain lack of substance and seriousness, which in turn makes it difficult for anyone to take our message seriously. Indeed, if the public is to gain a credible perception of us, then we must present ourselves honestly and forthrightly as exactly what we are—National Socialists—and not as some sort of political caricature. Otherwise we can expect to have as much credibility as dedicated Marxist-Leninist revolutionaries would if they were to go around referring to themselves as "Commies."

There is perhaps a more important reason, however, why we National Socialists must reject the term "Nazi." If this label was originally used to belittle the National Socialist cause, subsequent wartime propaganda introduced sinister new connotations. Conjured up was the monstrous image of hate and evil, an image which every decent person must find repulsive.
Forty Two wrote:It in no way effects my credibility to have not labeled him something.
Your use of the rhetorical device of casting doubt on Spencer's status is discreditable. He promotes white nationalism and his apparent rationale is that the white race superior to other races. If you had read past the first couple of paragraphs of the Vox article you directly quoted without attribution, you would have read the description of Spencer's views taken from his own statements.
Forty Two wrote:My view on this should be quite clear -- it has nothing to do with what other people call him, or even what he calls himself. If he said he was a neo-Nazi, rather than deny it, then he'd still, in my view, have a right not to be sucker punched.

In my view, the concept of individual rights, such as free expression, does not depend on the substance of a person's political opinion. Your view may differ. I'll let you explain your view, if you have one on this topic that doesn't involve trying to insult me.
I've explained my position in this thread, Forty Two. I don't agree with nor do I support black bloc tactics, and I don't support black bloc dingalings sucker punching people, even racist shits like Richard Spencer.