Enjoy President Trump, Courtesy of The Kremlin

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Enjoy President Trump, Courtesy of The Kremlin

Post by Hermit » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:27 pm

Animavore wrote:The type of person who voted for Trump is the gullible type, a mark, and to dig the heels in and further support him when the con has been exposed is dishonest at worst and delusional at best. I don't see how you can uncouple the correlation of lack of credibility and voting Trump. Except in the case where one realises their godawful mistake and owns it.
The type of person who voted for Clinton is the gullible type, a mark, and to dig the heels in and further support her when the con has been exposed is dishonest at worst and delusional at best. I don't see how you can uncouple the correlation of lack of credibility and voting Clinton. Except in the case where one realises their godawful mistake and owns it.

You may argue that Clinton is the better alternative, and i do agree that she is. Nevertheless, I don't see how one's vote is an objective determinant of credibility of one's arguments or opinions.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:37 pm

Hermit wrote:
Animavore wrote:The type of person who voted for Trump is the gullible type, a mark, and to dig the heels in and further support him when the con has been exposed is dishonest at worst and delusional at best. I don't see how you can uncouple the correlation of lack of credibility and voting Trump. Except in the case where one realises their godawful mistake and owns it.
The type of person who voted for Clinton is the gullible type, a mark, and to dig the heels in and further support her when the con has been exposed is dishonest at worst and delusional at best. I don't see how you can uncouple the correlation of lack of credibility and voting Clinton. Except in the case where one realises their godawful mistake and owns it.

You may argue that Clinton is the better alternative, and i do agree that she is. Nevertheless, I don't see how one's vote is an objective determinant of credibility of one's arguments or opinions.
Your argument simply doesn't work the other way. Hillary wasn't a snake oil merchant tapping into the hate, fear, and prejudice of her audience and trying to sell them fast and easy (and incredibly stupid) solutions.

You're trying to equate Hillary with Trump while claiming you're not.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:29 pm

Hillary was, however, a liar, and a cheat. She literally colluded with the DNC to cheat Bernie Sanders out of the election, all the while the DNC was lying to the people saying they were "neutral" and running a fair campaign, and the Clinton machine was doing things like feeding her debate questions in advance (Donna Brazile) and nobody called Clinton on any of it because the news media wouldn't torpedo Clinton with sensitive questions about what she knew and when she knew it. And nobody in the mainstream media cared about the substance of the disclosed Clinton and DNC emails, because they shifted the focus to be about Russian hacking of the emails and not the corruption in the emails. The pay-for-play corruption of the Clinton Foundation and receipt of foreign funds there. She has a 25 year history of "fudging the truth." http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... ory-214095

A snake oil salesman is a fraud, a charlatan. I think the shoe fits Hillary. She's just as likely to try to sell you something that "cures what ails ya" in the political sense as Donald Trump.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:36 pm

pErvin,

The following comment...

..runs against the Play Nice and No Personal Attacks imperatives outlined in TEH RULEZ.

As you've been repeatedly warned about this 'retarded' nonsense you'll now find yourself on gardening leave for the next 24hrs. Further transgressions will see you enjoying progressively longer periods of enforced rest.

Jim & Brian.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:36 pm

:Erasb:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:41 pm

Hermit wrote:
Animavore wrote:42 also voted for Trump, so excuse me if I'm suspicious of his credibility.
So, nobody who voted for Hillary Clinton is credible when they're talking about her or the Democrats?
No, they're credible. Hillary voters just want what's best for the country, and above all, are impeccable with their attention to objectivity. So, when a Hillary voter says something, you can take it to the bank, because if there was any reason to criticize Hillary, a Hillary voter would do the criticizing.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:58 pm

Hermit wrote:I am not putting Hillary on the same level as the pond scum infesting the White House. I am saying you cannot measure credibility of a person by who they vote for. When Forty Two's opinions lack credibility it is because he puts up shit arguments, like when he argued that Rep. Farthat did not express a desire to duel some other REp when he said "If it was a guy from south Texas, I might ask him to step outside and settle this Aaron Burr-style." FT concluded that "What he said was exactly the opposite" of what he said. Go figure.
Well, he did not ask the female Senator to duel. He said that if the Senator was a male from south Texas, then he would ask him to step outside and settle it Aaron Burr style, which is a reference to their famous duel. Settle the score, so to speak. So, he expressly said he was not going to ask her to settle it Aaron-Burr style, because she was a woman and not from south Texas. And, it's also a figure of speech, not a literal suggestion that he would ask anyone to settle a score Aaron Burr style.

That's hardly a shit argument. I mean, you're free to read that as him literally threatening to go all "Aaron Burr" on a female Senator, but why do you think he really meant to settle it Aaron Burr style with her?
Hermit wrote: I had an argument or two with someone who voted for Clinton in another forum. As far as I am concerned, this person has no credibility at all, but that's not because of who he voted for. it's because his arguments are shit. Comes easily for someone who does not know the meaning of 'net worth' and 'income', who thinks the sun shines out of Hillary's arsehole, and who keeps asserting to this day that 70% of US voters support her.
I'll agree with that.
Hermit wrote:
You get people who lack credibility - or who possess it for that matter - regardless of who they vote for.
Indeed, many Trump and Hillary supporters lack all objectivity, which effects their credibility. However, I have been critical of Trump, and I have expressed very clearly that I was not a really strong supporter of his. During the primaries, he was not my favorite candidate. He kind of grew on me. At first, i was very opposed, and friends that know me were curious why I didn't like him as a candidate. However, first his chances of winning grew on me, until eventually I came to the conclusion that he was the only Republican candidate capable of beating Hillary Clinton. And, when it came down to between him and Clinton, for me there was no real issue. Trump would get my vote over clinton, if I would vote at all. Nobody else was around that I felt like voting for. I did not like the Libertarian candidate. So, I voted Trump - I disagree with him on the border wall, although it's not a serious or large issue for me. I agree with him on taxes, repealing Obamacare, and efforts to help American business and industry, and efforts to solve foreign policy problems and defeat ISIS. He's not accomplished much of what's important to me since getting elected, save getting rid of regulations and streamlining some pro-industry projects and such.

I think he's made many rookie mistakes. I worry about him, because of his tweets and seeming immaturity. But, I try to be objective, at least as objective as I can. I also have this gut feeling with him that a lot of the stuff he does is calculated. A lot comes across as low class, rude, profane and vulgar, but so much of it is calculated. He managed to win the Presidency against all odds. Against all predictions. Against the Democratic Party AND the Republican Party. He's not stupid. He's not incompetent. He's not incapable. He's a novice in the politics arena and in government, but if he can weather the storm - if he has not actually done something seriously wrong for which he'll get indicted or impeached - if he can get his administration under control and reigned in -- he might be able to accomplish some of what he set out to do.

He has one strike with me so far with not repealing Obamacare, but it's still early in his Presidency.

He will get another strike if he fails on taxes or immigration reform.

He needs to shut up and get to work, and focus. I wish he'dve skipped that "first vacation" he just announced. He should have said he's not going to take a vacation. He needs to stop playing golf. And, he needs to eliminate the petty bickering and bullshit. There has to be a way to retaliate against media and pundits and such without dopey tweets. Figure a way to respond quickly with more polished retorts. Have a dedicated adviser that helps prepare retorts.

That's my current take on him now.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:26 pm

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:16 pm

Indeed. He ought not be taking any vacations. This bothers me.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:26 pm

He is a cunt.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:34 pm

(CNN) On CNN's "New Day" Friday morning, former independent counsel Ken Starr raised questions about whether current special counsel Bob Mueller might be over-stepping the bounds of his mandate in investigating Russia's meddling in the 2016 election.
:funny:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:00 pm

Animavore wrote:Hillary wasn't a snake oil merchant tapping into the hate, fear, and prejudice of her audience and trying to sell them fast and easy (and incredibly stupid) solutions.
Clinton is not at all anything like Trump. I agree with you on that. She is not a snake oil merchant. She is just a snake. Speaks with forked tongue. In public speeches she said she will work in the interests of the working and middle classes. In her private speeches to the bankers she plays an entirely different tune. There is a very good reason why the transcripts of what she told them are not published. Unfortunately for her some snippets surfaced via those leaked emails, though. You looked them up didn't you? Good. I feared for a moment that I'd have to tell you that she has no truck with regulating banks; that she thinks they can regulate themselves just fine; that government imposed regulations are A Bad Thing. That she is not so much a snake oil merchant as simply a snake - speaks with forked tongue.

Forty Two ought to really like her. When it comes down to the nitty gritty she is a libertarian at heart, while Trump is a narcissistic, bullying demagogue, not a million miles removed from being an autocrat. Only his boundless incompetence stopped him from actually becoming one. So far, anyway.
Animavore wrote:You're trying to equate Hillary with Trump while claiming you're not.
Did you even read my post? I mean the bit at the end? Or did you just quote it accidentally?
Hermit wrote:You may argue that Clinton is the better alternative, and i do agree that she is.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:27 pm

Forty Two wrote:So, he expressly said he was not going to ask her to settle it Aaron-Burr style, because she was a woman and not from south Texas.
No. He expressly said if "it [sic] was [sic] a guy from south Texas" he "might ask him to step outside and settle this Aaron Burr-style", but do keep twisting things around in your attempts to prove that they mean the opposite of what they say if it makes you feel better.
Forty Two wrote:...which effects their credibility.
Anyone who can't tell when to use 'affect' and when to use 'effect' lacks all credibility.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:31 pm

Any man who can write 500 words or more about a poem of less than a 100 words lacks all credibility.

-my dad on university

:hehe:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:33 pm

Hahaaaaaa, and now I can describe pErvin as an ignorant, opinionated, noisy motormouth without him being able to object to being told the truth about him until just after midnight local time! :yes: