Netherlands Election 2017

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: Netherlands Election 2017

Post by Svartalf » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:30 pm

They voted for uncooperative prics, to their reps won't get any cooperation and will serve nothing, not so different from France where 5 million FN voters are without a deputy in the chamber, thanks to having no majority in any circonscription
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:45 pm

Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:The point is, it looks like PVV is still trending up, and getting more and more seats each election.
That is factually wrong. The PVV gained 5 seats in this election, but it lost 9 in the previous one. I pointed this out to you here. Are you into alternative facts? It seems to be something right wingers are particularly fond of.
They gained 5 seats, and the VVD lost 8 or 9. The other parties have fewer seats, in the last article I looked at, than the PVV, making the PVV the party with the second most seats. That sure looks like a good result for them. They've never had more than 24 seats.
Ahem.
Forty Two wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:...they had a peak and a setback, their trend is upward from their inception to date. No party has exclusively a straight line up -- over time, even a party gaining influence will have a jagged line.
Exactly. Your assertion that the PVV is getting more and more seats each election is factually wrong. As for general trends, every party starts with zero parliamentary members at one stage. So, as long as it has any sitting members at all, its overall trend is always upwards. You insist to somewhat inaccurately call the difference between one election and the next a trend. That's OK with me, as long as you acknowledge that the PVV still has not quite recovered from its previous "trend", where it lost nine of the seats which it had won in the elections before that.
Forty Two wrote:...people advancing a proposition bear the burden of supporting it with evidence
Like when they propose that the PVV is getting more and more seats each election. The ball was in your court then, don't you think?
Well, they got 9, then 24, then 15, then 20, so...
...it's factually wrong to say the PVV is getting more and more seats each election. Is it an insult to point this out?

As for the PVV being dead, feel free to argue about it with anybody who said that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:11 am

Forty Two wrote:
Svartalf wrote:It has 20 seats, there are 130 other reps to create a coalition, what don't you understand in the fact that those 130 will find enough (75) among them to form a coalition and leave the DVV to rot in the rain?
Oh, I understand that they will do that. What don't you understand about the fact that those who voted for the PVV, and/or almost voted for the PVV or considered it, will see the party with the second largest number of seats shut out of the negotiating room. They may well be a bit miffed at that.

Also, it may well be that next election, with another loss for VVD, and another gain for PVV, the analysis might start to change.
yeah, I wouldn't discount Wilders just yet. If disaffection continues with the status quo parties (which it will for PVV supporters, at least in part, for the reason you mentioned above), him or his "movement" will reappear at some point in the future. We've seen just that in Australia at the last federal election. Not sure if everyone is aware of who Pauline Hanson is, but she rose to political fame about 20 or perhaps even more years ago on a racist and insular platform. She did well for an election or two, and then was rubbished out of the political scene by the media and the regular political parties. Well, she popped up again at the last election and was* stronger than ever. Most of her support is of the same form as Trump's support.

* - since the election her party has started fragmenting as invariably happens when you have mentally deficient lunatic candidates.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:16 am

Yep. Dutchy's rather frantic posts that "he is dead" are ignoring the potential that parties like his represent, even if at the moment they can have little political impact, given the reluctance of others to coalition with them. As 42 rightly observes, that could be subject to change in the future; political parties are amoral opportunists when it comes to grasping for power...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:42 am

pErvin wrote:Not sure if everyone is aware of who Pauline Hanson is, but she rose to political fame about 20 or perhaps even more years ago on a racist and insular platform. She did well for an election or two, and then was rubbished out of the political scene by the media and the regular political parties.
In my opinion Pee Pantsdown's first decline in voter appeal was chiefly due to John Howard appropriating her policies regarding non-Anglo-Saxons.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:15 am

Yeah, that's a good point.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:28 am

JimC wrote:Yep. Dutchy's rather frantic posts that "he is dead" are ignoring the potential that parties like his represent, even if at the moment they can have little political impact, given the reluctance of others to coalition with them. As 42 rightly observes, that could be subject to change in the future; political parties are amoral opportunists when it comes to grasping for power...
My posts are not frantic just realistic. This is not an anglo-saxon country. We have consensus politics here. 42 cant get the typical anglo-saxon adversarial
system out of his head. We dont have winners and losers in the a-s way. The winners are those who can form a coalition. Wilders did not want to initially speak with anyone then all of a sudden he wants to but no one wants to talk with him. He has been sent into the political wilderness from which many politicians seldom return.
Number of MP's is no guarantee of a place at the negotiation table. The best possibility of a coalition is VVD, CDA, D'66, and Groen Links. Personally I dont think this will float. GL and VVD oppose each other on many policies. I dont think Klaver is ready to hitch his wagon to the VVD. Coalition failure could have drastic consequences as we saw with PvdA. Klaver is already looking four years down the road.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:40 am

pErvin wrote:Yeah, that's a good point.
The other point is that she had the political charisma of a turnip.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:00 am

rainbow wrote:...she had the political charisma of a turnip.
Even if "political charisma" were a meaningful concept "potato chip" would fit better than "turnip".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:21 am

rainbow wrote:
pErvin wrote:Yeah, that's a good point.
The other point is that she had the political charisma of a turnip.
True, but in a way that is a benefit these days in anti-establishment politics.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:30 pm

Hermit wrote:..it's factually wrong to say the PVV is getting more and more seats each election. Is it an insult to point this out?
No, but if you use a moving average as I suggested, the trend line is up.

But it does not matter. PVV obviously did well in the election, receiving the second most seats. If any other of the smaller parties did that, then they would not be characterized as a loss.
Hermit wrote: As for the PVV being dead, feel free to argue about it with anybody who said that.
I was - Dutchy argued that.

It's very interesting. I get where he's coming from, and I get where you're coming from. I don't think we disagree in principle.

Cheers.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:21 pm

Forty Two wrote:I don't think we disagree in principle.
It's a rare occasion but here we have two points of agreement. The trend is up. I was merely pointing out sloppy argumentation. Yes, it's pedantic, but my intermittent OCD reared its head at the time. And yes, while the PVV has next to no chance to become part of the governing coalition now and in the foreseeable future, that situation is not guaranteed to remain in perpetuity. Humans can be fickle and the Dutch are as human as everybody else. I heard they even put their pants on like everyone else - one leg at a time. I would not regard the second-largest party of a country as quite as dead as John Cleese's parrot anyway.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Pants? The Dutch have progressed beyond pants decades ago.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:46 pm

Forty Two wrote:Pants? The Dutch have progressed beyond pants decades ago.
At least the ones of Scott's age. They have progressed right back to being swaddled in diapers.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:52 am

Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:I don't think we disagree in principle.
It's a rare occasion but here we have two points of agreement. The trend is up. I was merely pointing out sloppy argumentation. Yes, it's pedantic, but my intermittent OCD reared its head at the time. And yes, while the PVV has next to no chance to become part of the governing coalition now and in the foreseeable future, that situation is not guaranteed to remain in perpetuity. Humans can be fickle and the Dutch are as human as everybody else.
Yeah, but they wear wooden shoes, so it might be a bit much to include them in the category "human"...