Straya!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Straya!

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:16 am

Pretty special ruling by the High Court of Australia today regarding Aboriginals and citizenship. It found that Aboriginals effectively hold a third type of national rights aside from citizenship and non-citizen/immigrant. That is, non-citizen Aborigines can't be subject to Australian immigration laws and be deported or treated as immigrants. The court recognised that due to 60,000 years of occupation of Australia that Aboriginals wherever they are born are people of the Australian nation. The ruling suggests that as the original inhabitants of Australia, the Aborigines concerns must be considered and accounted for in all government action that impacts them. Essentially a legal version of the proposed indigenous advisory body to government that the conservative government are steadfastly against.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:40 am

Evil Merkan corporate giant GM has decided to kill off the iconic Australian brand Holden. I'm not sure the age of Holden but must be near 100 years. This is fucking un-Astrayan! :lay:
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:00 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:40 am
Evil Merkan corporate giant GM has decided to kill off the iconic Australian brand Holden. I'm not sure the age of Holden but must be near 100 years. This is fucking un-Astrayan! :lay:
I'm not particularly emotionally invested in the Holden brand. The company was a wholly owned subsidiary of General Motors since 1931, 17 years before it came out with its first "Australian" car in 1948, which was actually a Chevrolet with a Holden badge. Only its body and a range of other components were actually manufactured here, but even they were mostly of American design and specifications. Convincing us locals that it was an Australian car was an amazingly successful publicity con.

Basically, a barely disguised lie, really. In the 1970s a Holden ad campaign, for instance, was a copy of the Chevrolet ad running in the US at the same time, with just a change of images and a few key words. "Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet" became "Football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars", and viola, its true blue Strain, you bloody beaudy, mate.

The company was founded in 1856 as a saddlery manufacturer in South Australia. In 1908, it moved into the automotive field and even built the Ford model T for a period before later becoming a subsidiary of the United States-based General Motors (GM) in 1931, when the company was renamed General Motors-Holden's Ltd. It was renamed Holden Ltd in 1998.

In the past, Holden has offered badge-engineered models due to sharing arrangements with Chevrolet, Isuzu, Nissan, Opel, Suzuki, Toyota, and Vauxhall Motors. In previous years, the vehicle lineup consisted of models from GM Korea, GM Thailand, GM North America, and self-developed models like the Holden Commodore, Holden Caprice, and the Holden Ute. Holden also distributed the European Opel brand in Australia in 2012 until its Australian demise in mid-2013, and briefly the American Cadillac brand in 2009 until the brand's full launch was delayed indefinitely.
More here.

That said, I always barracked for Holden when it came to the legendary rivalry between it and Ford on the race track. I just never lost sight of the fact that all production cars ever assembled in Australia were fully foreign owned and almost completely designed outside Australia.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:35 am

The Kingswoods were an Australian design. The V series commodores were based on the German Opel, but significantly modified (including longer and wider body and wheelbase). The last Commodore was just a rebadged Opel.

It will be interesting to see how the bogans handle this. No more Ford v Holden at the Bathurst 1000. The race will suffer because of this.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:48 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:35 am
The Kingswoods were an Australian design. The V series commodores were based on the German Opel, but significantly modified (including longer and wider body and wheelbase).
Yeah, sure, Ted Bullpit. The Kingswood's chassis, engine, gearbox, differential and most other components were Chevrolet in origin. Modifications were always made, most notably to firm up the suspension, in order to adapt the American design to the shitty Australian road conditions. Until 1980 there was no way of driving from any of the eastern capitals to Perth without traversing stretches of unsealed road.

I don't know if you're just arguing for argument's sake now. Holden is an iconic Australian brand because its owners have successfully hoodwinked the public into thinking it is. The cars are as Australian as baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolets.

Incidentally, Opel is a wholly owned General Motors subsidiary since 1931. Not that it matters. If it were not, it still wouldn't qualify as Australian.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:49 am

Hermit wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:48 am
pErvinalia wrote:
The Kingswoods were an Australian design. The V series commodores were based on the German Opel, but significantly modified (including longer and wider body and wheelbase).
Yeah, sure, Ted Bullpit.
You're not taking the Kingwood! I just Baygonned the bumper bar! :lay:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:57 am

JimC wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:49 am
Hermit wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:48 am
pErvinalia wrote:
Yeah, sure, Ted Bullpit.
You're not taking the Kingwood! I just Baygonned the bumper bar! :lay:
Kingswood Country! Now there's an iconic Strayan TV show.

Truth to tell, I don't think I've ever seen more than three minutes of it, and those three minutes of viewing happened less than half an hour ago.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:10 am

Hermit wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:00 am

Basically, a barely disguised lie, really. In the 1970s a Holden ad campaign, for instance, was a copy of the Chevrolet ad running in the US at the same time, with just a change of images and a few key words. "Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet" became "Football, meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars", and viola, its true blue Strain, you bloody beaudy, mate.

Down South it was Braiivleis rugby sunny skies and Chevrolet
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:34 am

Hermit wrote:

I don't know if you're just arguing for argument's sake now.
You said they were largely designed outside Australia. That's bullshit. The Kingswood was not based on a Chevy, and while the V series Commodores were based on the Opel, they were significantly modified, hence Australian designed based on an Opel type.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:44 am

Regarding Kingswoods and Chev parts, heres what my mate who knows a prodigious amount about most cars but particularly GMH, says:
HK-HG nothing apart from some V8s and some manual gearbox boxes and the power glide auto trans. Chassis/body all holden.

HQ-Wb is interesting, I have heard that the chassis was similar to the a Camaro, but otherwise all Australian apart from some trans and the Chev 350 in the HQ GTS.
It would be hard to get definitive sources for this given he's built his knowledge on a photographic memory over decades.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:46 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:44 am
Regarding Kingswoods and Chev parts, heres what my mate who knows a prodigious amount about most cars but particularly GMH, says:
HK-HG nothing apart from some V8s and some manual gearbox boxes and the power glide auto trans. Chassis/body all holden.

HQ-Wb is interesting, I have heard that the chassis was similar to the a Camaro, but otherwise all Australian apart from some trans and the Chev 350 in the HQ GTS.
It would be hard to get definitive sources for this given he's built his knowledge on a photographic memory over decades.
Let's say, for the sake of the argument, your mate is right, and additionally accept that the Kingswood in all its iterations was a huge sales success. What remains? A car assembly operation that did not produce Kingswoods for all but 15 of its 69 years of its existence. The Australian icon was spun out of hot air. It is not only entirely American owned, but most of the vehicles' design and componentry comes from overseas, primarily General Motors. And with that, my patriotic friend, I leave you to continue shouting at clouds for as long as you like.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:08 am

. Image

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:22 pm

GM scraps historic Holden car brand in Australia
General Motors has said it will retire the iconic Australian car brand Holden as it leaves more markets.

The American car giant said it will wind down Holden sales, design and engineering operations in Australia and New Zealand by next year.

It also said China's Great Wall Motors had agreed to buy its manufacturing plant in Thailand.

The announcement comes three years after GM ended manufacturing in Australia.

In a statement posted on GM's website, chief executive Mary Barra said: "I've often said that we will do the right thing, even when it's hard, and this is one of those times."

The statement did not say how many jobs would be lost as a result of the move but reports suggest it will mean up to 600 layoffs.

In response to the news, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said: "I am disappointed but not surprised. But I am angry, like I think many Australians would be.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:51 pm

Fuck the state! All power to the People!
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:26 am

and remember, the corporations and moneymen are the string pullers of the State, down with them too !
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping