Post by Hermit » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:33 am

rainbow wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:23 am
Hermit wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:39 pm
A dozen of these

make me drunk.
Poofta!
Actually, half a dozen of these get me drunk. That's 6 x 750ml containing 5.8% alcohol by volume.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: Straya!

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:44 am

This is my daily tipple at the moment:

At 10% it is not light but it is very enjoyable. Just a couple in the evening is enough.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:41 am

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-28/ ... /100413012
Adelaide pub Sparkke at the Whitmore has distanced itself from a push to move a nearby communist soup kitchen, declaring it remains committed to "inclusivity".

Earlier this month, one of the pub's directors, Lois Boswell, approached volunteers who ran the kitchen and queried whether they had a permit to operate out of Whitmore Square.

Ms Boswell is the chief executive of South Australia's Department of Human Services and lives near Whitmore Square.

Both the Australian Communist Party and the state Labor opposition have questioned whether Ms Boswell's soup kitchen visit constitutes a conflict of interest with her public servant role — a claim Ms Boswell denies.

Last week, Communist Party officials accused Ms Boswell of trying to pressure them to move.

The group has been providing meals to homeless people in Whitmore Square for two years without a permit — and has been told by police and council that it will not be granted permission to stay in the square.

As for the soup kitchen, the Communist Party is vowing to continue in Whitmore Square – with or without permission.

"This commitment is necessary because responsible authorities have demonstrably failed to meet the needs of people for housing and sustenance," party founder Bob Briton said.

"The efforts made to shut down our efforts reflect very badly on those authorities, whose priorities appear to lie elsewhere.

"We must continue with our modest efforts, funded completely out of our own pockets, because there is clearly a need from them."
Hopefully they serve a decent Borsht... :soup:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:56 am

Bloody commies! :lay:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:16 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:18 pm
Belgium beers as whole are stronger. Mind you there is plenty of gnats piss around; Stella etc. Also plenty of cheap muck that only appears in some Belgium supermarkets as cheap end of production beer. The abdij beers are always stronger going up to 14% in some cases. The Trappist beers are in a class of their own and cant be found any where else. Orval is far the best. There is only one type brewed in the abdij.
A young Orval is still a bit sweet and hoppy. Over time, this trappist becomes dryer, more sparkling and more complex. A sour note develops with typical Brett aromas, which are best described as farmyard or a horse blanket. It’s truly a beauty of a beer that never gets boring!
Abdij beers CAN be strong, but it depends on a lot of things, lots of them are just normal strength.

I've tried some French ones, (from St Omer, near the Belgian border) and honestly, that was better than heineken, but sub average in their own category.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:25 am

JimC wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:41 am
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-28/ ... /100413012
Adelaide pub Sparkke at the Whitmore has distanced itself from a push to move a nearby communist soup kitchen, declaring it remains committed to "inclusivity".

Earlier this month, one of the pub's directors, Lois Boswell, approached volunteers who ran the kitchen and queried whether they had a permit to operate out of Whitmore Square.

Ms Boswell is the chief executive of South Australia's Department of Human Services and lives near Whitmore Square.

Both the Australian Communist Party and the state Labor opposition have questioned whether Ms Boswell's soup kitchen visit constitutes a conflict of interest with her public servant role — a claim Ms Boswell denies.

Last week, Communist Party officials accused Ms Boswell of trying to pressure them to move.

The group has been providing meals to homeless people in Whitmore Square for two years without a permit — and has been told by police and council that it will not be granted permission to stay in the square.

As for the soup kitchen, the Communist Party is vowing to continue in Whitmore Square – with or without permission.

"This commitment is necessary because responsible authorities have demonstrably failed to meet the needs of people for housing and sustenance," party founder Bob Briton said.

"The efforts made to shut down our efforts reflect very badly on those authorities, whose priorities appear to lie elsewhere.

"We must continue with our modest efforts, funded completely out of our own pockets, because there is clearly a need from them."
Hopefully they serve a decent Borsht... :soup:
Hmmm, if a civil servant in her job came to a soup kitchen to ask that question, I would not necessarily suspect a conflict of interest (yeah, she lilely is bothered by a soup kitchen next door to her home, but checking if they are legit still is within bounds). Also, it seems that while the kitchen is not allowed to operate, and it's common knowledge, the powers that be have not done anything about it either...

That a civil servant would also have direct interest in a private enterprise bothers me a lot more...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:27 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-30/ ... /100416808
While thousands of Territorians put lighters to firework fuses on Sunday night, an out-of-control bushfire burned less than 50 metres from the home of Rick Jepps.

Jepps , a resident of Durack, said he was furious Territory Day firework permissions went ahead, as crackers burned around him and into the early morning.

"Why do we need to have this night? It's ridiculous," he said.

"Had this fire burned in the other direction, houses would be under serious threat."

Just streets away, crackers exploded in loud bangs as at least four fire crews worked to contain the out-of-control blaze.

Mindil Beach is swarmed by people letting off fireworks from the sand.

Loved by many for its atmosphere of unruliness, and abhorred by others for the inevitable hospitalisations, anxiety to pets and wildlife, and trashing of public spaces, Territory Day marks the anniversary of self-government in the Northern Territory.
They are absolutely fucking crazy up there. A few years back, Bron and I were staying in a hotel in Darwin, 5 stories up, overlooking a park along the foreshore on their crazy fireworks night. Dozens of groups were in the park below, with wheelbarrows loaded with fireworks. Rockets were going everywhere, some bursting a few metres from our balcony (at one stage, I retreated inside). At times, they launched rockets horizontally, laughing like loons as they targeted other groups! :shock:
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:57 pm

I wonder if alcohol was involved?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:20 pm

Yeah, I forgot to mention the wheelbarrows with cartons of beer... ;)
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:16 am

The conspiracy theorists were right all along. Lockdowns are tools to bring about tyrannical governments.

Resentful and bitter after being criticised over her leadership during the latest Covid-19 lockdown, Gladys Berejiklian, the Premier of New South Wales, warns her subjects.

Thanks, pErv.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:12 am

Dutchy probably thinks this is real.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:34 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:12 am
Dutchy probably thinks this is real.
No, he won't. He would have said "I know its a joke and one of very poor taste", had I not said for him just now.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:51 pm

:) Some people have too much time on their hands.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:15 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:51 pm
:) Some people have too much time on their hands.
It sure feels like that in a Melbourne lockdown... :sigh:
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:15 am

One in four Australian teens report experiencing psychological distress in 2020

"Survey from Mission Australia and Black Dog Institute indicates an increase in young people dealing with mental health issues."

Frank Zappa