Straya!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Re: Straya!

Post by rainbow » Thu May 16, 2019 10:58 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:35 am
Rubbish. Battery technology and pumped hydro are better options than coal for stable electricity delivery.
Naah wurries, mate
http://theleadsouthaustralia.com.au/ren ... australia/
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu May 16, 2019 11:04 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:57 am
I think 100% by 2030 is possibly optimistic. But it should be possible to have a large majority (80-90%) by then, with the rest coming from liquid gas generators.
Yes, especially since the Greens are not going to determine energy policy any time soon. Even if they were it is not a realistic target. Still, there is nothing in the Greens' policy statement that as much as hints at fossil fuel based energy plants will be phased out faster than a base load capacity by other means can be established.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu May 16, 2019 11:08 am

mmmh, if what Rainbow posted is realistic, it looks like tech went along faster than I know, and that I may have put my hoot heep imma mouf...

I still fear power price may rise significantly due to the massive investments to recoup.
Do we know accurately the life span of a solar panel or wind turbine?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu May 16, 2019 11:14 am

Household solar panels come with 25 year guarantees. Commercial would probably be longer.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu May 16, 2019 11:18 am

Svartalf wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:08 am
mmmh, if what Rainbow posted is realistic, it looks like tech went along faster than I know, and that I may have put my hoot heep imma mouf...

I still fear power price may rise significantly due to the massive investments to recoup.
The advantage of the redox flow batteries is that they can be built to very large scale. You can increase the capacity by putting in more tanks containing electrolyte.

Also OZ has a lot of vanadium.
https://np.ga.gov.au/scientific-topics/ ... s/vanadium
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu May 16, 2019 12:16 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:08 am

(ETA: The life spans of solar panel and wind turbines are as well known as those of coal and gas based electricity production plants.)

Looks like you need to read up on a lot more than the published policies of the Australian Greens. Our national production and marketing system of electricity for a start, closely followed by the Australian climate.

Here are some brief comments to help you along:

Australian electricity generation is largely in private hands. The product, electricity, is sold to electricity retailers based on supply and demand. Prices are determined in half-hourly blocks and the greatest determinant is the weather. Demand is the highest on hot days, that is when the sun shines, which happens to be the same time photovoltaic electricity production is at its highest. The result of bringing photovoltaic farms online has been a drastic reduction of peak prices. Savings of $200 million in electricity charges have been achieved on a single day, and as the capacity of electricity generation by photovoltaic means grows, the average W/hr cost of electricity drops.

Once more: Read up enough on the issue we're talking about, which is the Australian Greens Party, to contribute to the discussion in a meaningful rather than a rabidly ranting way. Until then do me the favour and shut the fuck up already. My ears are threatening to bleed due to your ignorant screeching.
Last edited by Hermit on Thu May 16, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu May 16, 2019 9:07 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:33 am
Well, to start with , their energy policy does not seem very realistic, renewables provide power when the weather wills it, not when it's actually needed, and we lack the technology for efficient stocking of energy.
They are only unrealistic about the timing - change is definitely happening, renewables plus storage are steadily becoming economically preferable as well as being vital in ameliorating climate change. Coal (aside from what's needed for smelting) is on the way out, and a grid serviced by a range of different renewable sources, with well-designed storage, should work very effectively. But it's not going to happen on their overoptimistic timetable.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat May 18, 2019 10:27 am

With about a third of the votes counted it looks to me like Labor will not win. At best there'll be a hung parliament with the Greens perhaps helping out Labor. Second best will be the conservative pricks not controlling the upper house. Consolation prize? Abbott got the boot at last.

I blame it all on Labor's right wing installing Bill 'Whatshisface' Shorten as its head instead of someone with a bit of vision and the ability to convey it persuasively to the electorate. Tanya Plibersek or Tony Albanese would have won.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat May 18, 2019 11:42 am

Yep.

Regarding the senate it might not be that good for Labor looking at how their primary vote has collapsed.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat May 18, 2019 1:42 pm

What a sorry fucking state politics is in this country. A snake oil salesman can prevail over a united party that was full of policy and vision.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat May 18, 2019 7:33 pm

What will we do when all the world's leaders are assholes?
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat May 18, 2019 9:41 pm

This is a good time to repost First Dog on the Moon's comment from last month.

I have never liked that spineless, unimaginative numbers man. Now I despise him to the point of feeling tempted to throw bits of bark at the time waster. Bill Whatshisname is the third-worst Labor Party leader in my memory. Second-worst was Simon Crean. I won't mention the name of the stark raving mad lunatic who takes the #1 spot. Suffice to say that his initials are Mark William Latham.

:irate:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun May 19, 2019 3:17 am

When will the investigation into Russian interference start?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun May 19, 2019 5:23 am

First we've got to have an investigation into where 50% of the voting public's brains have gone.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun May 19, 2019 5:57 am

At least Abbott is gone...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!