Straya!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Straya!

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:22 pm

Wish we had a side-eye emoji - apparently it really winds conservatives up.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:38 am

I only just got that now. I iz not slow.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:01 am

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:19 am

If looks could kill...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:05 am

JimC wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:19 am
If looks could kill...
In this instance I wish they could.

The entire episode would be funny if it had not been so obviously painful for the Australian of the year.

As if that were not enough, middle-aged and old busybodies, mostly male, but a significant number of women too, pile in to accuse her of being rude and disrespectful, as if Morrison is entitled to courtesy and respect.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:04 am

From Shit Towns Australia on Facebook. I didn't know Scot was writing for them..
Cairns was inexplicably built on a mudflat in uninhabitable Far North Queensland, making it a sweltering shitbox with a million percent humidity year-round. The city experiences two seasons - the wet season, featuring an unrelenting torrent of rain and tropical cyclones, and the even wetter season. Temperatures range from far too hot to face-melting. Even taking a dip won’t cool you off as the water is frequently warm enough to boil a baby. Nevertheless, the punishing heat forces many poor bastards to brave the water, presenting them with the choice of swimming with man-eating crocs in the sea or paddling between toddler turds, discarded condoms and blobs of backpacker jizz in ‘The Lagoon’.

Despite featuring a climate unsuitable for human life, Cairns has managed to leverage its proximity to the bleached remains of the Great Barrier Reef into a thriving international tourism industry, which means the town is now lousy with heat-stricken backpackers rooting in public, fighting in the street and smoking weed from Gatorade bottle bongs. Other popular tourist activities include riding a flying fox over crocodiles at a combined zipline and wildlife park, taking hilarious selfies with location signs at Yorkeys Knob, or being left stranded in the middle of the ocean by a Great Barrier Reef dive tour. Cairns’ most iconic landmark is a humungous statue of Captain Cook giving a Nazi salute as a tribute to Australia’s race relations record.

Cairns: for when Townsville feels a bit too fancy!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:47 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:01 am
Father and daughter?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:54 am

Svartalf wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:47 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:01 am
Father and daughter?
Grace Tame and Scott Morrison.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:37 am

I do assume PM morrison has a bad record on protecting women?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:52 am

Cairns...consider the source. :roll:

The Lagoon is a 4800sqm salt water swimming facility that offers an all-year round, safe, swimming location without stingers and crocodiles. The Lagoon is filled with salt water from the Trinity Inlet which is filtered through a state-of-the-art filtration system.
reef is certainly challenged...hardly dead.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZZBpD8kWtftMkamm8

https://www.sunlover.com.au

certainly enjoyable when we stayed overnight 40km offshore.

author prolly lives in Townsville.

Lack of backpackers has hurt the the bird population :coffee:
Last edited by macdoc on Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:55 am

Svartalf wrote:I do assume PM morrison has a bad record on protecting women?

He's better than he was since his wife took him aside for a quiet word and suggested he think about what it would be like for him if his daughters were the victims of abuse.

Frank Zappa

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:15 am

Svartalf wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:37 am
I do assume PM morrison has a bad record on protecting women?
Yes. He is "old school" in the most negative meaning of the expression. Grace Tame was a concrete target of his despicable views. She was 15 when she was repeatedly sexually abused by her 58-year-old teacher. The teacher was eventually convicted for his crimes, but because Tasmania's Evidence Act had prohibited publication of information identifying survivors of sexual assault she was prohibited from talking about her experience in public. After she successfully campaigned to have that aspect of the law repealed she was made Australian of the Year in January 2021 for her subsequent fights against rape. Straight after her speech on the topic, Scott Morrison, who was present and right near her said to her quietly: "Well, gee, I bet it felt good to get that out". He later claimed that he was misunderstood.
Asked to confirm and explain his remark to Tame during question time, Morrison described her Australia Day speech as “very brave” and explained “that is exactly what I meant when I said that to her on that occasion”.

“I can’t recall the exact words I used … but I wouldn’t question that in any way, shape or form what Tame has said – that is roughly my recollection,” Morrison told parliament.

“It was a very proud moment for her and her great struggle and challenge over a long period of time and what she did on that occasion was speak with a very strong voice about what had occurred to her.”

Morrison said Tame raising her voice “would have been great to so many victims” of sexual abuse and harassment. “That is exactly what I meant … I don’t know why some other meaning may have been put upon those words.”
Exactly what he meant? Yeah. Right. Sure. :roll:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:07 pm

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:43 am

Some poor man was killed by a great white. It's sick. Scientists think these guys just take "nibbles" of things they may like to eat. If they don't like it they leave it. Unfortunately when something that big takes a taste...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:27 am

dur-dum

dur-dum

dur-dum dur-dum dur-dum dur-dum dur-dum dur-dum ...

Frank Zappa